Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ideas Above My Station...

Chain Guide for SS - What about............

HI all,

I'm riding an '08 Intense SS and as yet have not fitted a chain guide, as i'm running a double ring set-up and have been wavering about the DRS, and have not been able to find much out about suitable products.

I came across the Wicked Racin' Dualrailleur last week, and have sourced one direct, with a guaranteed refund if any fitting issues.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...ur-guide-30973

It seems to be the perfect product for me, and is fairly discrete / inoffensive looking.

Does anyone have any experience, or have heard from anyone with experience?

Any other advice for a chain guide on the SS, especially the E.13 DRS?

Huge thanks.
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

Commit or eat sh!t
    I am using DRS (bottom bracket style) which I already had from a different bike. The backplate moved a little after a hit. I also grinded a little to make it fit better. Otherwise no problems. e13 also has some new stuff coming out in 1Q.

You might also look into the Truvativ Hammerschimidt. Looks like the a great product, perfect for a low BB bike, once SRAM figures out all the kinks.

I believe the owner of Wicked Racin died a few months ago racing. Not sure if the company is still functioning. Maybe someone else is running it.

Make sure you take off the shock and do a test for chain length. Lot of chain growth. Messed up my derailleur because I didn't check.

mtbr member
    I am running a DRS on my SS & have had no issues at all. It is not the lightest by any means but I have yet to drop a chain. FYI that I read in a recent Dave Weagle interview that the Drs is going through a major redo & will be out soon. I did have to use a spacer to clear the pivot bolts to get it on properly. I have also seen peeps rocking blackspire stingers on the SS as well.

Dre

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I found that Wicked guide while searching also. I haven't bought anything yet. Be sure to post your impressions after you get some ride time on it. Also, do you plan on running it with or without a bashguard?

Yeah, sadly Mark Reynolds passed away last year, but his family are still running the mail order bit.
    Can't afford the Hammerschmidt, otherwise its a pretty attractive solution.
    The stinger is defo an option, not heard from anyone using one though?

Be interested to see what E13 do with the DRS too.....!

Gnarbar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange-Goblin
    The stinger is defo an option, not heard from anyone using one though?
    Blackspire Stinger with dual ring ? Yeah, it seems cool to me so far.
    White/blue Intense Slopestyle
    Red 2011 Morewood Makulu

Sovereign Cycle | Lama Cycles | Morewood Bikes | Kali Protectives

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Stinger is the way to go. I've not heard of anything technically wrong with the Wicked Racing setup other than being a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. A properly adjusted Stinger, Chain, and FD will retain the chain with no issues. Whistler included.

FYI, the new DRS that has been mentioned is functionally a fancy Stinger (not that that's a bad thing)->

Cheers guys, think the stinger may be the way to go then, at least its pretty damn cheap, so not much to lose!

Any preference as to fitment - ISCG or BB? - Think my SS would be the older ISCG mounts no? (It's an '08 from back in may).

huge thanks.

Is this the E.13 thing you are thinking of....
    http://www.e13components.com/product_ds.html

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Yep, I think the pic of the one I posted above is an earlier version of the new DRS.

The first version of the SS were ISCG-03 (old ISCG) and were distinguished by spot welds holding on the ISCG tabs. The newer version of the SS uses ISCG-05 and are distinguished by the tabs being welded on in a continuous bead around the circumference of the BB. Of course the tabs themselves are in their respective orientation.

ISCG version of the Stinger works fine as does the BB mount. I've used both on my SS. The BB mount version lines up easy and can not result in broken ISCG tabs which is kinda nice. I had the ISCG-03 Stinger on my first SS and when I updated to a later SS, switched to BB mount Stinger since I couldn't get my hands on an ISCG-05 Stinger. Both have worked flawlessly.

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    Hey guys,
    The DSS is the steel backplate version of the DRS. Everything is functionally the same, except the steel plate is easier to produce, and therefore the final product can save you money while still delivering top notch performance that is expected from an e*thirteen product.

Also, most of the SS's out there use ISCG-OLD tabs, so you would need the BB mount version pictured above. The 2009's have ISCG-05 tabs, along with the M3, Socom and I think the 4x hardtail as well. I have a picture of it below.

Now, with all that money you just saved, I estimate at least 4 weeks of post-ride beers... (sodas for you groms out there)

...I can't confirm or deny the existance of the 2009 aluminum DRS either. It certainly doesn't look strikingly similar feature-wise to our 2009 LG1+ and SRS+...

http://www.sicklines.com/interbike2008/ethirteen/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah my SS is ISCG-old, so i'll be going BB mount.

I'm pretty happy with the Hone Bashguard, so the DS would be fine (I'm assuming the difference is that the DSS has a bashguard and the DS doesn't?).

IS the only difference between the DSS and the DRS the back plate material?

Would the DS work with any bashguard / my hone one?

Huge thanks.

PS. LOVE that white / gold / clear colour combo on that new E.13 stuff, if they do the DRS / DSS / DS in that colour, i'm sold!!!

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    Hey Orange,
    Just following up...but yes, the only difference is the backplate. For the installation, the DS BB-mount uses three 1mm and one 0.5mm bottom bracket spacer, so you can fine tune where the backplate sits on the BB shell (more or less with a 73mm shell). As long as you are sure to get the installation dialled, most bashguards should work.

If anyone has any technical questions, always feel free to shoot me an email!

Cheers,
    philip

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by philw86
    Hey Orange,
    Just following up...but yes, the only difference is the backplate. For the installation, the DS BB-mount uses three 1mm and one 0.5mm bottom bracket spacer, so you can fine tune where the backplate sits on the BB shell (more or less with a 73mm shell). As long as you are sure to get the installation dialled, most bashguards should work.

If anyone has any technical questions, always feel free to shoot me an email!

Cheers,
    philip

What is the DS going to sell for and when will it be available?

Huge thanks for the feedback.
    I think i'll get a stinger, and maybe if/when the DS is released i think i'll look into that , however if someone was to maybe let it slip that the DRS is about to updated to be inline with the new about-to-be-released SRS & LG1.......

......I reckon i'd be swayed and snap one up right away, the main thing steering me away from the DRS is is i don't like the bashguard, so figure ii'd stick with the hone one and just get the tensioner/jockey section. Hence the interest in the DS and the Stinger.

But i love the new look, white, gold and clear. Awesome stuff. So Phil....any word?

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange-Goblin
    Huge thanks for the feedback.
    I think i'll get a stinger, and maybe if/when the DS is released i think i'll look into that
    I started with the DRS on my SS, then tried out the Blackspire Stinger (that's what you're referring too, right?) for lighter weight, and the Stinger doesn't work nearly as well retaining the chain in the rough stuff. I've since gone back to the DRS. The DRS performs so much better. Unfortunately, I have the ISCG old mount version, and it requires a lot of grinding to make it work, but it's worth it.

Hmmmm, now i'm torn. I can't locate a DS anywhere (SW England), and don't like the look of the DRS at the moment, so i guess i'll just hang on for the minute.......

mtbr member
    I have a newer SS with the ISCG like in the picture above. I want to use an MRP System 3 I had from another bike but it doesn't have the ISCG holes on the boomerang. It was mounted behind the bottom bracket cup (the boomerang is recessed to fit-in). Is there anything wrong with using this setup?
    Thanks
    52 gear inches

HI Stephen,

I have settled on the MRP G2, as i have decided to go single ring now, but i have the older ISCG, but tried it in the shop and it all lined up nicely. Not sure about the System 3, though i can't see why it'd be any different.

It sounds like you have the BB mount version, which mean that it mounts behind the BB Cups as you mention, there might be a small collar to attach to the seat tube to fix the position of the boomerang. I can't see any problems there, only issue might be interference of the Boomerang with the Vpp lower link, but it seemed fine on my SS with the G2. Let us know how it sets up!

mtbr member
    I just looked at the MRP and the SS frame and I think that lower link might be an issue. Yes it is an MRP that goes behind the bottom bracket cup. I'll try and post a pic later.
    Thanks for the reply
    52 gear inches

mtbr member
    Here are some pics Orange Goblin

It seems like it would work if I put spacers between the MRP and the frame. Not sure if thats compatible with the BB though?
    52 gear inches

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen11364
    It seems like it would work if I put spacers between the MRP and the frame. Not sure if thats compatible with the BB though?
    It will fit, but you will be left with VERY little thread engagement on you BB cup. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Find yourself a guide that mounts to the ISCG tabs. That's what they are there for. With the new e13 stuff coming out, there are lots of deals on the old stuff.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by buildyourown
    It will fit, but you will be left with VERY little thread engagement on you BB cup. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Find yourself a guide that mounts to the ISCG tabs. That's what they are there for. With the new e13 stuff coming out, there are lots of deals on the old stuff.
    I don't know the MRP guide, but the E13 DRS that I have is a bottom bracket mount (and oddly ISCG old mounts). The plate is 2.5 mm wide, so I simply substitute the one 2.5 mm spacer with the plate. Remember, most cups are designed to run with up to 5 mm of spacers.

Hi guys,

Stephen, those photos confirm what i thought, and Blaster is right, it takes place of one of the spacers, the MRP will take place of the outer spacer so it clears the VPP link sufficiently!

Build your own, you can't change the thread engagement of your BB, otherwise the cranks arms and axle won't be fully seated, and result in a seriously flawed connection down there. You merely swap out one of the spacers.

My Shimano Hone BB has 2 x 2.5mm spacers for this very reason, otherwise the entire idea of the BB mount Chain Guide would be ridiculous.

I'll update when my MRP comes in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast