mtbr member
    May 2006

Carbines SL confusion

Need some help with Carbines without going through the whole Intense website. What is the difference between carbine and carbine SL?

I also read G1 drop out. I think Carbine comes in 27.5 and 29 right? Or does it come in 26, and using G1, you can convert to any of those sizes? Or vice versa?

Hopefully someone can shed some light.
    Thanks

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    Wow. Someone is feeling lazy today. I got this info off their website. It's very easy to navigate, and quite informative.

Carbine SL -- 26" only. Max of 5.25" travel. More XC.
    Carbine SL ? Carbon Fiber Bike Intense Cycles

Carbine -- 26, 27.5, 29. Max of 6" travel. More AM.

Now you know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    SL is a dedicated 26er. It also has a carbon link and the frame weight comes in about half a pound lighter than the non-SL. The carbine was originally a 26er, but with ability to swap out dropouts to change it to a 27.5. Afaik, it only comes with the 27.5 dropouts now. I don't think there are any changes to the frame in the original 26" version and the 27.5 besides the dropouts, but I could have missed something somewhere.

The best deals right now are in 26ers and the SL is a steal rig now. I have one and its a sweet frame and the ride is great. My complete weight is under 23lbs with a 1x10 setup, which I think is just incredible for a 135rr/150fr setup.
    Wanted: Ritchey P-20,21,22,23 in Team colors, 18-inch, '92-99, Ritchey Logic fork (threadless); NEW Rock Shox Judy Decal Sets

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The part I dont get is the G1 drop out. So 26 and 27.5 are interchangable, but definitely not 29 to 27.5 or 26 using G1 drop out right?

yes, partially lazy on my part yesterday. But Jeff's website is kind of hard to look at on an iphone. Finally in front of a proper laptop this morning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The carbine 29 is a dedicated 29er and came out this year (2014).
    Wanted: Ritchey P-20,21,22,23 in Team colors, 18-inch, '92-99, Ritchey Logic fork (threadless); NEW Rock Shox Judy Decal Sets

Dude, got any schwag?
    I have a Carbine SL with a longer shock to get the same 5.5-6" travel as the standard Carbine. With a 150mm Revelation up front, 20mm maxle & a RWS axle in the rear, it's a 25lb sweetheart of a ride!

To answer the OP's question, there are 3 Carbines.

1) Std Carbine, which can be 26" or 27.5" with different G1 dropout options.
    2) Carbine SL, Which is a dedicated 26", open dropout for QR or RWS 135mm fitment. Comes stock with a shorter travel rear shock & designed for a 120mm front.
    3) Carbine 29, dedicated wagon-wheeler with G1 dropouts for adaptability to different hub standards.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSchwagman View Post
    I have a Carbine SL with a longer shock to get the same 5.5-6" travel as the standard Carbine. With a 150mm Revelation up front, 20mm maxle & a RWS axle in the rear, it's a 25lb sweetheart of a ride!
    Schwag, could you detail exactly what shock length you put on yours? length, model, etc. I'm interested in this mod, too.

Also, the Carbine SL shows geometry for both a 120 and 150mm fork, so I think it was designed to handle either a 120 or 150 up front.

Dude, got any schwag?
    You're correct about the bike handling a 150. The rear shock dimensions are simply the same shock as the Carbine. So 7.875" x 2.25". Still amazed by how much better this climbs than my Tracer VP did, and it corners like it's on rails! The Carbine SL's original shock was 7.5" x 2".

Edit; And since the frame & linkage are exactly the same geometry, there are absolutely NO interference problems!
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks Schwag. Hate to hijack this thread, but if I understand correctly, the 7.875" and 7.5" of the two different shocks is the eye-to-eye length, correct?

I guess I don't understand how the longer 7.875" length shock fits onto the SL, unless it is compressed by .375" to become effectively 7.5" once installed into an SL? Or is that not how it works at all? Or does putting on a longer shock raise the BB?

How do you know you're getting the full 150mm travel out of it?

TIA.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Yes, these are eye to eye lengths. Trust me it fits. It'll raise the rear up a tad, but will also travel further due to the longer stroke. All you're doing is getting regular Carbine travel out of an SL. The frame and swingarm come from the same molds as the standard Carbine, and the carbon link is the exact same geometry as the aluminum link on the other bike. I calculate the travel by adding the extra 11-12% of the longer stroke shock to wheel travel. 135 + 11% = 151.
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks again! Since you've ridden the SL in both the 135mm and now 150mm, how did it affect the ride or handling when you bumped up the travel? Sounds like you highly recommend this mod...do you think it voids the warranty?

Dude, got any schwag?
    Shouldn't void the warranty, but I can't make that call as a customer. ;o)

The extra travel is always good! I can run it with a little more sag and really have it plush in mid travel without losing ANY efficiency. Rides like a dream.

(Personal preference; I tend to run heavier damping to control wallowing during trail rides, but back off rebound and compression for Enduro style rides)
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Awesome stuff. Thanks for the tips!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSchwagman View Post
    Shouldn't void the warranty, but I can't make that call as a customer. ;o)

The extra travel is always good! I can run it with a little more sag and really have it plush in mid travel without losing ANY efficiency. Rides like a dream.

(Personal preference; I tend to run heavier damping to control wallowing during trail rides, but back off rebound and compression for Enduro style rides)

Can I ask what Tune shock you got? The one that came with my sl has no settings listed on it. And as a custom tune, it isn't recognized by the Fox app.