mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Carbine? Smashing lower pivot

So I noticed some paint missing on the lower pivot and realized that since I run a 30t ring the pivot is well below the ring, added a 32t bash but still hitting frame when going over logs. What are people doing to protect the frame, where the paint is chipped off is carbon so that worries me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbine? Smashing lower pivot-image.jpg  

Carbine? Smashing lower pivot-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    just looked at mine, some marks on one side, but pretty minor not worried at this point, but worth watching. Couple ideas come to mind, some clear bra material or some of the foam guard material Intense uses or clear nail polish. None would be that permanent, but should do the trick and just re-apply as needed. last would be jumping those pesky logs you keep hitting

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I covered mine in double thick Mastik tape. If you have ISCG tabs you could add a taco. Either MRP or E-13 makes a taco that will do the trick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm not as comfortable hopping the Carbine as I do on my RFX or any of my old Banshee bikes, not sure if its the bigger wheel size or the vpp suspension. I do try though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kburati View Post
    I'm not as comfortable hopping the Carbine as I do on my RFX or any of my old Banshee bikes, not sure if its the bigger wheel size or the vpp suspension. I do try though.
    I was being a smarta$$ with that portion of the comment. good luck and thanks for the original post, as it made me check my bike and will watch to see if steps to protect that area are needed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My guess is that it's from a few small side impacts when trying to steer the back wheel around obstacles. Your wheel and guard most likely contact before the link, unless you are stalling on top of the log.

You could also get a bigger guard ring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I don't think it's from smashing the ground, but from stuff getting chucked by the front wheel.

mtbr member

Carbine? Smashing lower pivot

I made this link protector up from a piece of UHMWPE ( petex). You could use a plastic cutting board or delrin.

I Cut the shape on a bandsaw then beveled the edges with a belt sander. It's mounted to the grease port fitting threads. I just removed the fittings and used screws to hold on the skid. Easy enough to pull it off when I want to grease the linkage.

May not need it, but it gives some piece of mind.