mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Carbine sl ride quality questions

I can pick up a carbine sl frame for relatively cheap. The frame looks awesome but I have a few reservations mainly because I have no way of demoing the bike. I ride east coast trails and don't do much in the way of jumps. I have ridden fsr and a dw-link azure bike. My questions are:

Is the bottom brakes too low? I have seen thos come up in a bike radar review and a few MTBR posts. I wold run the bike with a 130mm fork at first.

How does the suspension feel compared to a dw link bike? I've read some reviews stating that the shock must be kept in trail mode to reduce pedal bob. I've also read that there is a quite about of pedal feedback.

Does the suspension stiffen and raise the back end under power?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The BB is fairly low, first ride out I got a few pedal strikes climbing, since then it's maybe 1 or 2 per ride mostly on slow technical rocky climbs, that's with a 150mm Pike. I think you kind of adjust without realising.

I can't comment on the other stuff, it just feels sorted up or down.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    A 130mm fork seems kinda underkill for that bike?
    My new experience is with the standard carbine with 26" wheels & a 160mm fork.
    Me coming from an FSR to DW, to giant's Maestro.
    The shock that comes with mine is very adjustable, from wide open to almost a hardtaill depending on what you're after. The rear end doesn't raise up under ower like DW, probably more like maestro, but peddles fine, no bob for me.
    I'm really happy with mine, carbon is a really great feel compared to aluminum, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelma Viaduct View Post
    The BB is fairly low, first ride out I got a few pedal strikes climbing, since then it's maybe 1 or 2 per ride mostly on slow technical rocky climbs, that's with a 150mm Pike. I think you kind of adjust without realising.

I can't comment on the other stuff, it just feels sorted up or down.
    Thanks. What is your bb height with the Pike 150?