mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Carbine SL rear shock upgrade......

Like the chap in the butchered SL thread, I'm thinking of buying a new rear shock instead of paying circa 100 servicing the stock rp23.

So, if I went for a 2015 Rockshox Monarch RT3 Debonair Monarch RT3 DebonAir 2015 - TF Tuned

Would I be able to order the equivalent standard carbine length 200x57 to increase my travel or should I stick with 200x50 as per 135mm travel Carbine SL?

I realise DBinline is all the rage, but I can't be arsed with the hassle of fettling with one, sooner use something simpler.

If given the option with the Rockshox rear shock, do I need to specify a particular compression/damping/rebound tune?

Cheers, TV

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I have just popped over from the Santa Cruz forum due to the fact my mate has just brought a second hand carbine. Anyway I just stuck a inline on my solo and it transformed the bike. The setting up is pretty easy. I was a total novice. Just start with some of the tunes on the cane creek site. With in a few rides it will be sorted and anything you don't like, you can change without sending it away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    What benefits to the ride does an inline shock offer? I'm not sure I'd be able to tell a difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Compared to my fox kashima ctd hmm lets see without getting all technical talk which I don't understand myself a lot of the time. I went riding on it and it instantly felt like there was more traction coming from the rear wheel on climbs without putting in climb mode. It felt a lot more bottomless landing of drops once I got it set up right. It felt more plush hitting rock gardens but somehow more controlled. I have a 140 pike on the front of my solo/5010 which made that end feel great. And the rear just did not. As soon as the inline went on and after a few rides, I though suddenly that the pike needed some more playing about with to be as good as the rear. I now have a perfectly set up bike where I am keeping up wit my mates on there 150/160 travel bronson's
    Remember my inline is only 125 travel

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Very interesting, I've got a 150 pike up front. Thanks for replying.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I brought my inline via TFTtuned they did a tune for my. But in the end I did not like it. And ended up very close to tunes that people had done on their bronson's or other vpp bikes. I Also found I needed to add one large spacer to get the progression right on mine. Again you will find on the cane creek website these tunes. All very easy to copy and then tweek from there. Installing the spacer is super easy. No tool required. And the little tuning book they give you to help set up the shock helps you really understand what everything does.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Apparently for a carbine you need a custom dbinline 200x55 shock length, not the standard 200x57 or else it hits the frame. Do you use the climb switch or just leave it open?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I do use the climb switch. But you can position the shock with the switch facing up or down. Or to the front or back. As for the shock length change, I have no idea. Best speak with cane creek direct or some company like TFTtuned. They are always helpful and full on info

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Cheers mate