Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Carbine rear shock air pressure

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  MTB Pilot 
#1 ·
How much pressure are you guys running in the rear?

I got the RP23 Kashima and I blow trough the whole shock a little bit to easy I think.
I weigh about 93kg/205lbs geared up, any recommendations?

Thank you!

#6 ·
Yes, it has a boost valve. The Tune on it is 200 and takes less air for me to get 25% sag, whereas my '12 Firebird with the Factory Float RP23 has a tune of 175 and takes WAY MORE air to give me 30% sag. :D:madman: My CTD seems really stiff in the Trail medium setting, and just seems like too much switching while riding to get the correct feel.:mad:

#7 ·
Ok, I see... then there is a rather big difference from the RP23 and the CTD.

What do you mean when you say "the tune is 200"? o_O

Aha, got it! :eek:ut: My BV tune is 200. What does a higher or lower tune mean? (New to BV shocks :rolleyes:)

How many psi are you running in you RP23 shock?

#13 ·
I was using 2(med) as I thought that was a base and you could make it softer or firmer, but it seems that I need to use 1(soft) to make it not feel harsh on the normal rocky trails here. I noticed when I first got the frame, after letting the air out of the shock, that the new mounting hardware felt a little stiff. Thought it was supposed to be less friction, but maybe it needs time to break in. Since getting back on the bike a week ago, I have about 50 miles of super rocky and technical climbing and descending here in Phoenix. I don't mind flipping the switch between trail and climb for the longer climbs, but the ups and downs come quick in some places and having to flip to the descent mode from climb and trail, is kind of annoying and inconvenient. Maybe I'll just get used to it eventually.

Please verify which hole, top and bottom, gives you 6" and 5.5". I think I'm confused:madman::confused:

#11 ·
Thanks for the input!

K, this might not be so bad anyway. I believe I'm running 180 psi now, and I'm a good 10kg heavier.
I did some hard landings and did bottom out, which is ok, but I think I should check again during lighter terrain. Riding fast down a stairs is rather brutal for the shocks. I'll try 190 and 180 next time and check again. It's also something about getting used to a new bike and shock as well.

Btw, EK2K: Are you using setting 0/Open?

#15 ·
I moved it up to the 6" hole and am using about 185 PSI now for proper sag. It does feel more plush in all settings.

I'm thinking about buying a 2012 RP23 BV with the simple "propedal" switch and maybe a remote. This whole reaching down to switch between three different settings on AZ trails is VERY hazardous to my health. Would I need to send it to Fox to get the proper tune that Intense spec the Carbine with, or will I not really notice a difference.

I like the way the bike climbs in the climb mode, but otherwise it feels a little inefficient. No big deal to switch it to climb, but after I crest the top of a big climb and start down, I sometimes forget to switch out of climb and it's way too harsh on the descent. I was spoiled with the Firebird and DW Link, as the propedal made no difference and the DWL kept the climbing efficient.:madman:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.