mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Carbine 29er or SPider comp 29er

My last Intense was a 2000 Uzzi SL. Coming off a Talboy I want to get back to a Intense since they decided to join the 29er craze. I love to climb so the spidy will do that better. However, will the crabine do everything else better. I am not doing drop off's or any crazy DH. Just long climbs and XC DH. What do ya think??

mtbr member

I'm probably not the best person to answer but I'll share my experience. I demoed a regular Tallboy, a Rip 9 and now own a Spider Comp. The Spider is hands down the better bike for me. The Tallboy felt too harsh all around (especially descending) and strangely enough it didn't feel very efficient to me; for some reason it just didn't feel like I was getting everything out of my effort. OTOH the Spider is so smooth while it feels like I spend less effort on climbs than my hard tail. I was tempted by the Carbine because I could have got a better deal on one than my Spider build but given the type of riding I do 90% of the time the Carbine was more bike than I needed and I'm very happy that I chose the Spider Comp. One thing to remember is that it's not just more suspension with the Carbine; the wheelbase is longer and the chainstay length is longer to accommodate more travel and if you do much XC / light trail then that may not be a good thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the input

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've got a spider comp and have been really happy with the bike, although I have been thinking about the carbine. I rode the spider comp all last year and did everything a 100 mile race with 20k of climbing to the local enduro series with the bike set up the same way except different tires and I took off the dropper post to save weight in the 100mi race. The bike feels fast and smooth descending on everything except really rough trails. I think the big wheels really help eat up nasty terrain and make me significantly faster.

For me a lot of it comes down to how I want the bike to handle on flatish/rolling singletrack. For long climbs and descents I don't mind the bigger bike and think the carbine would be great. I am sure its tons of fun on the way down and I don't mind pushing a little bigger bike up a long climb. Where I don't think i'd like the bigger bike is rolling terrain where I want to ride hard and fast, but feel like the bike is a pig that is soaking up all my effort. I like riding the spider in the flats and it feels fast and nimble.

I have been really happy with the spider overall and the only real reason I am thinking about a carbine is that I am riding a hard tail single speed for a lot of my xc riding now and wouldn't mind a little more travel for drops/chunky terrain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Faster on my Comp Carbon Spider 29 at 25 lbs 8 oz than my 22 lb hardtail. Feels slower but consistently faster in events over an hour.

Pirate!!!

I've had both. I will be writing up a thorough comparison once I get more time on the Carbine. In the mean time I will say that the Spider Comp is an amazing bike that I would gladly continue riding. That being said, I wanted just a little more travel for when the going gets tough. The Spider Comp is fun. Slightly more playful than the Carbine29, slightly more nimble, and slightly easier to manual. But it does come at a little price, it's slightly less up to task when the trail gets chunky, and would tend to wallow a little in the mid stroke when charging over successive hits. Honestly this wasn't really much of an issue, and I never would have complained about it until I'd ridden the Carbine29. The surprise with the Carbine wasn't it's added grace over the rough stuff, but rather how well it climbs. I honestly can't tell any difference in climbing prowess now that I'm on the bigger bike.. In regards to mid stroke wallow, the Carbine29 handles this much better, although it's likely due to an improved shock tune. The C29 is as expected with a little longer WB, slightly less nimble and slightly harder to manual then the Spider, but makes up in its ability to gobble up terrain. I'm a happy camper with either bike. And let's be honest, I suck at manualing on any bike. Here's a couple pics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just picked up a Spider comp. Waiting on the drivetrain. Frame looks very nice. I just do not like how the rear brake is setup. Hellova angle on the line zip tied to swing arm. Internal routing is smooth so far. The rear axle is an allen key setup not sure about that. Going to setup xx1 however I need a cap for front deraileur mount, does intense make one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    One ride in on my Spider Comp and loving it. Climbs beautifully and descends with abandon. For XC type DH I'd say its more than enough.

Running mine with a set of Pikes and at 5" and tackled Garburn Pass in the UK Lake District which is fairly chunky. I was a bit nervous when I got into the chunk for the first time but needn't have worried. The 5" travel and big wheels worked together to really make silly speeds possible.

Currently set up with X01, Stealth Reverb and Ally wheels at 25.5lb but carbon cranks and the added footprint/stiffness of 35mm Light Bike carbon wheels should see a further step up in its AM ability while dropping weight to nearly 24.6lb ish to make it pedal and climb even better.