mtbr member

Carbine 29 or Spider Comp?

Hey guys, need your opinions. I'm buying a trail bike to "do it all" and I'm split between the Intense Spider Comp and Carbine. I live in Durango, CO and do a lot of climbing and a lot of descending with sprinkles of flat here and there. I love the downs but can't afford to sacrifice on the ups, plus I enjoy technical climbs. They're both 1x11 w/ reverb stealth. Carbine has 160mm Pike @ $5000; Spider Comp has 140mm pike and better wheels for $5,600. Spider will be about two pounds lighter (1lb just in the wheels).

Although the Spider is more expensive I'm leaning toward it in fear that the Carbine will be a little more cumbersome on the climbs, flats and switchbacks. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I bet you'd be happy with either. My question to you would be, "What are you more concerned about? Uphill or downhill?
    For me, I've never been ultra weight conscious and I always choose a bike that I know I will enjoy, no matter what the trail is. With that said, I'd go with the Carbine. More travel for the times when you really get to appreciate your investment on the downhill sections. Besides that, I figure I'm gonna be cursing in the up hills no matter what I'm riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I would go for the Spider Comp if I was mostly riding Durango trails. I haven't ridden anything in Durango that the Spider Comp doesn't shred- Co Trail, Hermosa Creek etc. I think you would be overbiked in that area with the Carbine.

That said, if you frequent Grand Junction and Moab a lot or do lift service riding, the Carbine might make a lot more sense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    I haven't ridden anything in Durango that the Spider Comp doesn't shred- Co Trail, Hermosa Creek etc. I think you would be overbiked in that area with the Carbine.
    Thanks for the insight. That's kind of what I was thinking. Most of the stuff I ride is similar to the trails you've mentioned with only a handful being more tech or extreme and I don't do any shuttle riding at this point; bike up ride down. Pretty sure it's the Spider for me.

deez nuts
    I have both the Comp and the Tracer 2. I live in Breckenridge. The T2 is borderline too much bike for Breck. T2 has 6.25 of travel so travel wise, is similar to the Carbine. The T2 great for Moab/GJ etc but the trails here are smooth and buttery. T2 is slow on the ups. It weighs 31lbs.

The Comp climbs really well. It also descends really well. It seems like it has more travel than it really does. I keep mine in the 5" setting in the rear and have a Float 140 up front. Full XTR, Cross Max SLR it weights 26 and change.

That said, a buddy of mine has the Carbine 275 and absolutely loves it.

The Carbine will fell more playful if you're a jumper.