Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Long Travel Lover
    Very happy with the CCDB CS. Ordered bike with it so nothing to compare directly. Last bike was DW link Fox/shorter travel so this bike feels incredibly plush in comparison. One thing I like is how supple it is pedaling on anything rough or techy, based on reviews I've seen thats better with the CC. Also really like the Climb Switch - does just what they say so I can have it more plush when open. I do love to fiddle and flip switches so its a good match for me.
    As for set up, as people say, you need to get the sag correct w/ the VPP. As you know, the Bike has the VPP2 so it pedals better than the old VPP when set up plush. The intense tune is pretty generic(the same is listed for all their bikes) but an ok place to start. It helps to do the set up in the order CC has in the field guide that comes with the shock. I've only set it up in the upper shock setting, so a little higher leverage maybe more progressive. Make sure you ask for the Intense CS tune when you buy aftermarket.
    The in-line looks really cool and you get to have a water bottle cage! With the long descents in CO and using it some in the bike park I'm happy with the DB. It will be great to hear what you think of the new In-line, I think it will be a worthwhile upgrade.

Edit: Added info.
    My buddy added it to his Bronson after a year and loves it. Another added it to his TallboyLT and had trouble getting the compression low enough - went to the XL can and loves it. The Intense tune starts in the middle so you should have room to work with it.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post
    Very happy with the CCDB CS. Ordered bike with it so nothing to compare directly. Last bike was DW link Fox/shorter travel so this bike feels incredibly plush in comparison. One thing I like is how supple it is pedaling on anything rough or techy, based on reviews I've seen thats better with the CC. Also really like the Climb Switch - does just what they say so I can have it more plush when open. I do love to fiddle and flip switches so its a good match for me.
    As for set up, as people say, you need to get the sag correct w/ the VPP. As you know, the Bike has the VPP2 so it pedals better than the old VPP when set up plush. The intense tune is pretty generic(the same is listed for all their bikes) but an ok place to start. It helps to do the set up in the order CC has in the field guide that comes with the shock. I've only set it up in the upper shock setting, so a little higher leverage maybe more progressive. Make sure you ask for the Intense CS tune when you buy aftermarket.
    The in-line looks really cool and you get to have a water bottle cage! With the long descents in CO and using it some in the bike park I'm happy with the DB. It will be great to hear what you think of the new In-line, I think it will be a worthwhile upgrade.

Edit: Added info.
    My buddy added it to his Bronson after a year and loves it. Another added it to his TallboyLT and had trouble getting the compression low enough - went to the XL can and loves it. The Intense tune starts in the middle so you should have room to work with it.
    Sweet, thanks for the thorough info!!

I'll let you know what I think of it; Don't think it's available to order for another week or so.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Don't forget The Bike Co inCali also. They built mine just the way I wanted it. These guys are Brian Lopes mechs

74 & 29 pilot
    Got my CC DB In-line shock yesterday and installed it. Just using the base tune I tested it down the some concrete stairs, rock piles and curbs... Quite an improvement is noticeable right away. Over the next two weeks I'll get a plenty of time to put it to the test here in the rocky desert terrain and long descents in the mountains outside of Santa Barbara.

MTBP

mtbr member
    I'm looking forward to your review mtb pilot!

Long Travel Lover
    Nice, clean look. Perfect for the bike.
    Since last exchange I've gone to the new Fox 36 TALAS up front. Definite improvement over the Pike, seems to balance the rear suspension better. Loved the TALAS on the long climb to the CO trail today, and the down… Oh Man!
    Endless Upgraditis.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Post pics with the fox on it please. Do the stickers match the orange on the frame?

Long Travel Lover

Foxy Carbine

From todays ride. Looks great, rides even better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbine 29 Review-foxy-carbine1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi guys, here some pics from my vacations in France, I hope you enjoy, I had some good days there with Carbine, the perfect companion and a awesome place.

Carbine 29 Review-dsc02477.jpg

Carbine 29 Review-dsc02501.jpg

Carbine 29 Review-dsc02507.jpg

Carbine 29 Review-dsc02514.jpg

Carbine 29 Review-dsc02659.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Got my CC DB In-line shock yesterday and installed it. Just using the base tune I tested it down the some concrete stairs, rock piles and curbs... Quite an improvement is noticeable right away. Over the next two weeks I'll get a plenty of time to put it to the test here in the rocky desert terrain and long descents in the mountains outside of Santa Barbara.
    Any feeback after some weekend riding? How does she feel?

Mine gets here in a couple of days. While the bike pedals awesome with the stock Fox, it doesn't give me that bigger bike bottomless feel that I liked out of my Trek Remedy. I think I can get more speed if I have the bike feel better down gnarly technical descents. I know that bike had 150mm travel and the DRCV shock, but hoping that the DBInline gets me a bit closer.

74 & 29 pilot
    Not much, just a quick 10 mile chunky climb and descent. I got out late, and the temp and humidity made me feel like poop, so not a very hard charger. The shock is very obviously in a different league than Fox's Float. It's not going to CHANGE the bike, but rather expose the bike's full potential. I'm still playing with the settings, but yes immediately I'm loving the small bump compliance and how smooth the rear felt blasting down 2 very chunky descents at high speed.

At first I was a little worried about the amount of movement while pedaling with the CS on, but I'm feeling zero loss of efficiency. Like I said, I'm still playing with setting; I've never had a shock with so many adjustments.

This weekend I'll be doing a 4000' climb and descent in California, and a few other smaller climbs and descents, so I'll get a better idea of how good it really is.
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

My Carbine 29

Here she is. It has taken me a few weeks to get the details all laid out but it is finished. I also have a some Easton Havoc 35 bars for the bike park days. This is a Med Carbine 29 and my hight is 5'10" Thank you to the Bike Co for building this sweet thing the way I wanted it for a unreal price. This is by far the best bike I have owned and not to mention a few Specialized SWorks 29 Enduro and 26 SWorks Enduro, Tallboy LTC, and regular Tallboy. This beast does it all effortlessly. OH and yes those are the new 780 Renthal carbon bars!!!!!!

Carbine 29 Review-img_0182.jpgCarbine 29 Review-img_0196.jpgCarbine 29 Review-img_0197.jpgCarbine 29 Review-img_0201.jpgCarbine 29 Review-img_0202.jpgCarbine 29 Review-img_0203.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hi TheCanary,

Does the new Talas fork has 51 degrees offset??

Long Travel Lover
    Yep. Handles as quick as the Pike but holds the line better with the stiffer(feels like to me) chassis. Still playing with handling options available with the short travel setting in situations outside of steep climbing - fun!
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    MTB Piolt. So how in the inline? Give a review. I have one on order.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yes, need some info Mine gets here today, installing tonight, and tuning it tomorrow at the local free ride trails. Pretty excited. I'll be switching the front fork over to 150 instead of 140 as well, so I'm expecting almost a whole new bike.

74 & 29 pilot
    Whole new bike!? eeeeehhhhh, not so much... The bike was already a VERY capable slayer. The good news is that it still slays without the feeling of having an under gunned shock. I did some big climbing and descending rides in the mountains outside of Santa Barbara this last weekend and had plenty of time to compare and adjust. Climbs were 1-2 hours and descents 25-40 minutes . The first day I rode my Pivot 429c, which is VERY efficient climbing, cause the descent was not very chunky. I have to say that the CS on the inline made the Carbine feel just as efficient as it was with the Fox Float CTD and just as easy as climbing on the 429. I love that it is not just on on/off switch and that you can set full on compression dampening or anywhere in between. I played with it on a 6.4 mile climb and taking a little LSC damping out was nice on the rockier sections of the climbs, but still felt efficient enough.

The first quite chunky descent, with factory settings, the shock felt more capable than the Fox CTD, but not as plush as I was expecting. I was not blowing through the travel(though I did bottom out somewhere, I never felt it) and it didn't feel harsh, but just not a really smooth plushness. I took out some HSC dampening and that seemed to do the trick. I am using between 25-30% sag and the shock has no problems setting in the mid stroke until time for the big hits. I'm also using less HS rebound dampening, to the point just before a bucking feeling; I ride mostly rock filled chunky trails so the shock needs to be active, quickly. I have followed the 3 step guide that they provide in the box and that has helped not get lost in the process for setting it up to your standards.

The rear end stuck to the ground much better than with the CTD. From thick dusty, loose, rutted and fast switch backs to long rock gardens full of loose dust, every different size rock, 45-90 degree turns and even 10-18 inch drops in the middle, the shock being super active still kept the rear tire glued to the ground. Never lost any traction due to the rear suspension, even in quick hard braking while active.

I'm no pro by any means, but what I do notice are the things that I didn't like about the CTD, more air pressure so as not to blow through travel and then harsh small bump compliance, are no longer on my complaint list at the end of a good ride. That says a lot to me and is what I am looking for as an avid mt. biker. No shock will fix a crappy bike design and the Carbine doesn't have that problem to begin with... This IS a key and probably the best for the money upgrade for this bike to really unlock it's capabilities.

So far, I give it 5 stars. It takes some time to get it dialed, but having a 100% range of adjustability to meet you exact needs and liking is time well spent. I will still probably play with sag and HSC a little, just to see if I find a spot I like more, but over all it is incredible for a lighter, non piggy back air shock. Sorry, I know this isn't a mind blowing review, but the shock is a big step up from CTD and Monarch and make the bike feel much better gunned for all round riding. Also feels much more balanced with the very capable Pike.

For reference: I'm 6' 195lbs w/o gear. My Pivot 429c weighs 27lbs 12oz and the Carbine 29 weighs 27lbs 15oz; both X0-1 11spd with 30t ring.

MTBP

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    MTB- How doe the Carbine climb and handle compared to other bikes you have owned or spent enough time on . The suspension is a direct copy of the SC LTc I think so wandering what your thoughts are? I know the head angle and CS length are diff. Thanks Frank

74 & 29 pilot
    Frank-- I really have no complaints about how the bike climbs. Quite efficient for the amount of suspension it has. The longer chain stays really help keep the front end down on the steepest technical climbs and your able to put down a lot of power seated or standing without problem. It climbs well in just a neutral body position. Like I said earlier, I've done some really long climbs with it using a 30t/ 10-42 cassette 1x11 and it was just as good and painful as my 429c. If I was racing XC on those climbs, it might not have been the fastest and would have used a HT.
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Carbine 29 Review

Hoooooly smokes the DBInline makes this a new bike. This is why Intense specs the DBAir on it.

It's now plush, controlled, and got that bottomless feeling I had from my Remedy with the DRCV shock. But it still pedals. With the CS switch the pedaling forces stop being so active but it somehow still so controlled. It's as if I'm riding an XC bike but with 10psi in the rear tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Can you Inline guys give us your tune?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Carbine 29 Review

I ended up with 5 clicks of LSC and LSR, 1.5 turns of HSC and 2 turns of HSR with 17mm sag.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What is ur weight

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    180 geared up with water/etc

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I got 2 rides on my DBInline. I always give lukewarm reviews so don't read this as a bad review of this shock.

I started out with the base tune, 160psi, and 17mm of sag. I got thrown at first because Cane creek counts click from full open rather than from full closed which I was used to. At first i thought no improvement over the Fox CTD, stutter bumps felt the same but then I flew off the jump after the stutter bump section and realized i was going much faster. First day I just tuned as I rode. I like a lively plush bike and ended up at hsc 1, lsc 5, hsr 1.5, lsr 5. With the hsc so low the climb switch hardly did anything, on first service i may get the #5 lever to tighten it up.

Today I was to going to 'bracket' the shock in but temp were over 95 degrees and I was cooked when I got to the section of trail I do all my bracketing on. So I just tuned as i rode. I upped the hsc to 1.75 to get the climb switch to work, lowered lsc to 1 to gain back some plushness, upped hsr 2.5 to take some boot off the jumps. I have no idea where to put the lsr, doing it off the feel at the seat.

For bottom out control i wish this shock had an adjustable IFP chamber and pressure so I won't have to up the hsc. I have the shock set pretty open but I got that DB spike everyone was talking about. Moderate speed G-out into a 6" ledge I loft the front wheel over and take the hit with the rear wheel. I got a pretty good spike off that today, to be fair I could have hit that at much greater speed than before.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast