Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm surprised at all the different sizes we've all picked. Im6'3" with long arms and legs so went for an XL with a 35mm stem. Still feels long but good put some 35mm diameter Raceface sixc 800mm bars on her to get the control feeling over the 29" hoops.

What does everyone else's weigh? Mines between 28-29lbs

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    While I could easily have gone with a large with a 35mm stem, I'm happy I didn't. For local areas, climbing with a 47" wheelbase would have been a little too much.

With the higher front end and large wheels, this feels like a large 26" trail bike. I noticed the change when I went to 27.5 on my M9; the bike just felt bigger.

The one thing I have sort of disappointed (and I'm hoping they did this for a reason), is the tapered headtube. I would have loved to try an offset headset to get in between medium and large.
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008
    Mine(2015) weighs 27.8 lbs with pedals
    Last edited by bluebeard; 10-09-2015 at 12:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Those of you with Cane Creek DBairs, what air can are you using? (standard or high volume).

Second, are you using the DBair with climb switch? I'm not a huge fan of having to reach down and flip a switch as most of the trails I ride have constant ups and downs (that's why I leave my CTD switch in the trail position all the time). Are you finding issues pedaling up hill with the standard DBair??
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

Long Travel Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
    Mine weighs 27.8 lbs with pedals
    Last spring Large set-up XC with light wheels/tires, CC inline shock, XTR race brakes with 160/180 rotors, light XTR pedals, 2x10 XTR: 26.5# - Great early season valley cruiser.

This fall set-up "Enduro" with HD Derby's and beefy rubber, Float X2, Hope brakes with 183/203 rotors, Heavy VX Adventure pedals, 1x10: 29.5# - Unstoppable Big Mountain Slayer!
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post
    Last spring Large set-up XC with light wheels/tires, CC inline shock, XTR race brakes with 160/180 rotors, light XTR pedals, 2x10 XTR: 26.5# - Great early season valley cruiser.

This fall set-up "Enduro" with HD Derby's and beefy rubber, Float X2, Hope brakes with 183/203 rotors, Heavy VX Adventure pedals, 1x10: 29.5# - Unstoppable Big Mountain Slayer!
    How would you compare the x2 to the inline shock
    Thanks

Long Travel Lover
    X2>DBairCS>Inline.
    Ridden all 3 on the Carbine. Happy with all, Inline is a great supple trail shock. DBairCS better when pushing harder. Float X2 like DBairCS only more so. Easy to adjust, supple and supportive through whole travel. Don't miss the CS.

mtbr member
    I just got an X2 to replace my Inline on my Spider Comp (pike 140, Derby Rims). After 2 rides I much prefer it to the inline, I found it to be a lot more supple and composed/supportive too! But I have been bottoming harsh on big hits/drops with 3 volume reducer rings/190Psi and middle range recommended factory settings. Still trying to get it to my liking.
    Technical switch back climbs have been a lot easier. I was surprised. Extra weight was not noticeable.

I also have a Carbine 29 (pike 150/spank wheels)and I will be putting the inline shock on that bike once I convert it to 2.25" stroke by removing the travel reducer/spacer. On the Spider I found the inline to be a little too firm on my rear end. I always felt the shock change after using the climb switch. Hopefully it will feel better on the carbine.

Right now I am ridding the spider more due to wheels and shock.

What is your weight and current setup on the X2 and what was your Inline setup?

Long Travel Lover
    Interesting moving between those two bikes. I picture them being very similar with a gradually decreasing leverage ratio as you go up in travel but similar progression towards the end of travel. Ended up going to 4 volume spacers to reduce bottom out on the X2, although it was never harsh. 160 psi for 140mm travel setting riding #190. RC4 settings pretty much by the Fox table.
    Inline was pretty good for trail riding, actually like it better at 125mm which would lead me to think it would be better for the Spider[?] - I guess not. Anyway had it set up pretty close to the CC base tune from Intense with spacers, sag and dials. Don't remember the exact numbers.
    Definitely prefer the X2 for pushing the Carbine hard - turned it into a freaking hover bike!

mtbr member
    I was able to get a Carbine 29 frame without a shock for a very good price, after getting the spider comp. I think the only difference between the two is travel, based on using different upper links and a longer stroke shock. Otherwise the frames are identical. I don't notice that much difference between them other the different shocks and wheels and the slightly longer wheelbase on the carbine around tight switchbacks.
    I would have used the X2 on the Carbine but it is a 2" fixed stroke. On the inline you can remove a spacer to make it 2.25" stoke.

I think for the X2 I will have to use a 4th spacer too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have an X2 on the way and looking forward to trying it. Good to know about the needed spacers.
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008
    Just got a 2016 Pro build(modified) and right now it weighs 26.75 lbs with pedals

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Just got off the phone with Craig over at Avalanche, looks like he's got something in the works for the Float X2. I was contemplating sending my CTD off to him and then do a comparison between a tuned CTD and a Float X2 on my Carbine. I'll wait and see now.

voob, not sure what you're talking about but any shock I've had for my Carbine is 2.25 stroke.
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

Long Travel Lover
    Hard to imagine improving on the Fox X2 on my Carbine. What is Craig thinking he can do for you?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I don't think I can exactly repeat everything he said without getting most of it wrong. Something about blending the high speed and low speed so there's a better transition between the two. He said he would be modifying the adjusters and adding adjustable shim stacks behind them. I can also see him messing with the reservoir, IFP, and reservoir oil volume although he didn't mention this.

He said we're looking at 6 months from now, so next spring.

I'm still having fun messing with my X2 anyway.
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chute6 View Post
    What does everyone else's weigh? Mines between 28-29lbs
    My large as you see it weighs 28.4 lbs.

Carbine 29 Review-carbine.jpg

2014 Large Carbine with Float CTD (need to go X2)
    Nox Farlows with Chris King hubs
    X1/X01 drivetrain
    Pro Taper Carbon bars 780mm
    RS Reverb Stealth 420mm
    Holzfeller 40mm stem
    Hope E4 brakes with floating rotors
    Pike 160mm
    WTB Volt Team saddle
    Nobby Nic 2.25 rear/Nevegal 2.20 front
    XTR trail pedals
    ESI Chunky foam grips

I'm 6'0", 210# before gear and I can ride this large comfortably all day long. 40 and 50 mile rides in the Sierras are a typical thing. Not a fan of smaller bikes. The wheelbase has never been an issue and I ride some very tight switchback trails.
    It was love at first sight.... she had alloy nipples after all!

Long Travel Lover
    Great Build. Love the Hope brakes. Nice trim on the Pike.

mtbr member
    Thanks! Everything's working out great so far.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Where can I get those silly little cable housing ties for the stealth post? (for the bolts on the downtube).
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Is this the general discussion thread for the Carbine 29? I just got one and I'm so excited about it but nobody on MTBR seems to be talking about them anymore.

I got the XL Carbine 29 because it is, I believe, literally the largest carbon full-suspension long travel 29er in the world. I'm 6'7" and need the biggest bike I can get. Here is a picture of my new baby:

The Earth Remains - Trip Reports and Adventure Photography

Pirate!!!
    She's a beaut.... I loved mine!

mtbr member
    A year after the build and I still love my Carbine and don't plan to replace her for many many years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2_mountain_bike View Post
    A year after the build and I still love my Carbine and don't plan to replace her for many many years.
    Agreed. Its as good or better than anything else out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I can't afford to replace it any time soon so it's nice that I love this thing.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

Brand Ambassador Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    Is this the general discussion thread for the Carbine 29? I just got one and I'm so excited about it but nobody on MTBR seems to be talking about them anymore.

I got the XL Carbine 29 because it is, I believe, literally the largest carbon full-suspension long travel 29er in the world. I'm 6'7" and need the biggest bike I can get. Here is a picture of my new baby:

Gorgeous bike!

mtbr member
    So for whatever reason my Carbine 29 didn't come with a grease gun. Can someone point me towards something that will work for servicing the pivots? And what grease are ya'll using?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So for whatever reason my Carbine 29 didn't come with a grease gun. Can someone point me towards something that will work for servicing the pivots? And what grease are ya'll using?
    All you need is a chain saw grease gun from your local hardware store. I use the disposable plunger type.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Grease comes pre loaded in the disposable plunger

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Right on! You are going to love that bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I use what ever bike grease I have handy, currently Park ppl grease in a tube hooked up to a grease gun similar to the Pedros injector. Some people use a Dualco grease gun stuffed with automotive bearing grease or waterproof bearing grease.

mtbr member
    Here are a few pictures from my ride last night.

Anyone have any ideas for what I should upgrade first? It's amazing as-is, but if course I've started to wonder how I could make it better. Its got a SRAM GX 1x11 drivetrain, Guide R brakes, RaceFace Aeffect Wheels, a Solo Pike RC, and a Monarch RT3. What would you do?

mtbr member
    I would upgrade the rear shock first, then wheelsets or fork. wider and lighter handlebar maybe... These items will do make notable performance diff.

I think the drive chain and brakes are fine, only the cassette & crank weight more than the higher end SRAM 11sp.

Anyone have any ideas for what I should upgrade first? It's amazing as-is, but if course I've started to wonder how I could make it better. Its got a SRAM GX 1x11 drivetrain, Guide R brakes, RaceFace Aeffect Wheels, a Solo Pike RC, and a Monarch RT3. What would you do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Wheels. Not sure about the Aeffect but mine came with RF Turbines that were super flexy. Set of I9 Enduros solved that problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmanxj View Post
    Wheels. Not sure about the Aeffect but mine came with RF Turbines that were super flexy. Set of I9 Enduros solved that problem.
    Same here. Got my Carbine 29 with a set of RF Turbines. On my 3rd ride, wheels needs to be trued right away. Alloy is very soft on those wheelset. Recently got some 27.5 carbon wheels, 40mm external, 35mm internal. Got some thick tires and walla, bike became 650B+! Here are some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbine 29 Review-20160503_164705-01-01_resized.jpg  

Carbine 29 Review-20160503_165342-01-01_resized.jpg  

Carbine 29 Review-20160503_164611-01-01_resized.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've noticed my rear wheel feels flexy, but I think it might be the Schwalbe Hans Dampf that came with the bike. That thing seems to wiggle all over at anything below 32ish PSI. Might try a new tire before a new wheel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    [QUOTE=asollie;12627049]I've noticed my rear wheel feels flexy, but I think it might be the Schwalbe Hans Dampf that came with the bike. That thing seems to wiggle all over at anything below 32ish PSI. Might try a new tire before a new wheel.[/QUO

I think the Aeffects are a little beefier than the Turbines, but if you are feeling flexy on it, it might still be the same material as the softier Turbines. So far I have 8 total rides on the Chinese Carbon wheels, man a whole different ball game than the alloys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've just picked up a 2015 Carbine 29 second hand, and am looking for some advice on the shock. It's got a Float DPS at the moment, which will be OK - but I'm planning to upgrade when funds allow.

My default option would be a CCDB (I was running a CCDB coil on my old 5.5 ). Is the DBAir CS just as good as the DBAir? I remember hearing some rumblings at release that the small bump sensitivity on the CS wasn't quite as good, even when you're switched to the main circuit.

Or, should I be looking elsewhere? The new Float X2 looks good - is it anywhere need the DBAir (CS)?

I'm more interested in downhill performance than anything else. Anyone got any pointers?

Long Travel Lover
    I've had Fox CTD, CC DBAIR and Inline and Fox X2. I'd pick X2 all the way. Turned the Carbine 29er into a freakin' hover bike.

BTW 2015 M Carbine 29er frame w/ Fox Float X2 for sale. PM me.

Brand Ambassador Moderator
    Yeah Float X2 all the way.

mtbr member
    I've noticed my rear wheel feels flexy, but I think it might be the Schwalbe Hans Dampf that came with the bike. That thing seems to wiggle all over at anything below 32ish PSI. Might try a new tire before a new wheel.
    Turns out this was caused by one of my suspension linkages being 90% unthreaded! Check your linkages everyone!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The X2 works well for the downs. I'm still trying to dial it in for climbing and flat pedaling over the roots and rocks. I'm getting close, although I wish it had more mid stroke support and a little but of a smoother transition between the low and high speed damping.

2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Give the new DVO Topaz T3 a shot. I just installed mine replacing the DBinline for my C29. It's lightweight, fast adjustability and you can fine tune it to your ride preference easily. It also looks sick!!

Quote Originally Posted by SamB View Post
    I've just picked up a 2015 Carbine 29 second hand, and am looking for some advice on the shock. It's got a Float DPS at the moment, which will be OK - but I'm planning to upgrade when funds allow.

My default option would be a CCDB (I was running a CCDB coil on my old 5.5 ). Is the DBAir CS just as good as the DBAir? I remember hearing some rumblings at release that the small bump sensitivity on the CS wasn't quite as good, even when you're switched to the main circuit.

Or, should I be looking elsewhere? The new Float X2 looks good - is it anywhere need the DBAir (CS)?

I'm more interested in downhill performance than anything else. Anyone got any pointers?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just got an X2 w/ climb switch. Liking the shock so far: buttery smooth and Climb switch takes out all bob. When bouncing around a bit I was surprised how deep the x2 goes into travel. Threw in a 4th spacer and cranked up the HS compression. Just by bunnyhopping to the max I manage to go through 80% of the travel. Without having checked, it feels like the previous CCDBAirCS was not using so much travel (more HS compression).

What's the take on this by other X2 owners?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think it depends on the valving from the factory. I'm using 2 volume rings and just reduced to one to try that out. My high speed compression is maybe half way out. My take is the shock needs more mid stroke support so you can back off on the low speed compression, volume spacers... Etc and maximize the small bump sensitivity.

2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My DB Inline seems to have crapped out on me after 7 rides so I will need something to replace it while it is gone for service.

I wnat to keep using my waterbottle cage and have been looking at the Monarch RT3 but after seeing the X2's on some of your bikes, I wonder now if I can get one of those and still keep the the cage, since piggyback is on the bottom of the shock.

Do any of you know if htere is enough clearance with the X2's piggyback and a bike cage?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    What size frame? On a medium it's a no. I got a side pull cage and even with a short bottle it doesn't work.

2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    @Christopher Robin: exactly, mid stroke support is missing.

Are there different tunes (factory valving) for after market X2 shocks? As far as I could tell online retailers only have product variations in terms of amount of spacers pre-installed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I was told there are a couple different tunes, but that was from a local Fox suspension tuner. Avalanche Downhill Racing is on the edge of releasing their piston and valving to work in the X2. I'm waiting for that.

2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
    What size frame? On a medium it's a no. I got a side pull cage and even with a short bottle it doesn't work.

Damnit...alright....thanks, Christopher Robin.

mtbr member
    Hmmm...

Interesting. I thought this was a problem someone solved a couple of years ago. I'm strugling with my Fox RP23 mounted on my Tracer2. Will try a modification read in another thread. But I'm a bit confused why people still are strugling with bikes going thru most of the travel on not-big-hits. And with different bikes and shocks...

As I said: hmmm...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast