Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    74 & 29 pilot
    Hey Sam or anyone one else in the know,

What tune do I need on the Monarch 3 Plus to use on this bike?
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Thank you for the very detailed response.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Sorry for my tardiness, but been on the road WAY TOO MUCH and way too little riding.

Overall, I don't have enough time on the carbine for really say, but I feel so far pretty close. I believe with today's bikes being so efficient, that it really comes down to my fitness. I've been up and down since Feb. due to work and sickness. Both bikes are incredibly efficient. Over all flat and groomed trails, not a lot of that here in AZ, they are pretty close giving an edge to 429. Climbing long miles the 429 has a bit of an edge, but when it comes to the roughest terrain and descending the Carbine has the edge. This bike descends as well as my Session 88 that I had for a few years.

Granted these bikes are set up quite differently, but they way about the same. 429 is 2x10 with 100mm in rear and 130mm in front, and the Carbine is 1x11 with 150mm in front.

One of these days I'll be able to answer your question more thoroughly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Had being riding with my C29 for a few weeks now and and my main view is that this bike needs a fit and strong rider to tame and master it. The bike rewards the rider if he/she puts in the focus and effort to go the distance. Descends on the Fox CTD Kashima shock and RockShox Pike are stable and instills confidence at speed. Climbing is a breeze with the pike and those monster truck wheels but you need to be fit to complete those steeper climbs. Tight cornering needs some practice but you will be fine once you get use to the long wheelbase and handling characteristics. Not an easy bike to get some air time but can be done with more concentrated practice.

Modifications/fine tuning I did for ride improvement:-

1) Shortened handlebars from 780mm to 740mm.
    2) Lowered the stem all the way down without spacers on the headtube.
    3) Slide saddle slightly forward.
    4) The Fox CTD Kashima rear shock is ok for now but see myself upgrading to the DBInline or DBairCS in the near future.

mtbr member
    I feel like it likes to be in the air, without any effort. Much better than my ibis mojo. Imho

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaseco View Post
    I feel like it likes to be in the air, without any effort. Much better than my ibis mojo. Imho
    I would agree, I have no problem getting airborne on this bike.
    MTBP

74 & 29 pilot
    Got my first ride this morn with a new 30mm stem, and I have to say that it is a great upgrade!! I did 13 miles with 1500' climb and descent. I'm 6' on a large and this stem really helps me keep centered on the bike and weight on the front, without feeling like I'm going to head out of the front door on the steep, loose and chunky downs. The steering seems more agile and direct; I feel like I have a lighter grip and less force in steering. Anyway, the bike continues to impress me with all aspects of single track here in AZ. It's SO easy to ride and I truly feel like it can handle anything. The Fox Float CTD shock is actually pretty good compared to older models, BUT I'm going to go with something a little more plush. I'm trying to decide between the CCDB Air and the new RS Monarch Plus Debonair. I thought about the DB Inline, but reading more it's not going to produce the same results as the DB Air with CS. I've never used a Monarch Plus, but read good reviews; I'm just afraid it won't make enough difference to justify buying it. I can get the RS for about $150 less than the CCDB at my LBS, but I want the best result and tune ability for this bike, as I plan to start racing it next year. Anybody have any comments or advice on my decision?

MTBP

mtbr member
    Got my first ride this morn with a new 30mm stem, and I have to say that it is a great upgrade!! I did 13 miles with 1500' climb and descent. I'm 6' on a large and this stem really helps me keep centered on the bike and weight on the front, without feeling like I'm going to head out of the front door on the steep, loose and chunky downs. The steering seems more agile and direct; I feel like I have a lighter grip and less force in steering. Anyway, the bike continues to impress me with all aspects of single track here in AZ. It's SO easy to ride and I truly feel like it can handle anything. The Fox Float CTD shock is actually pretty good compared to older models, BUT I'm going to go with something a little more plush. I'm trying to decide between the CCDB Air and the new RS Monarch Plus Debonair. I thought about the DB Inline, but reading more it's not going to produce the same results as the DB Air with CS. I've never used a Monarch Plus, but read good reviews; I'm just afraid it won't make enough difference to justify buying it. I can get the RS for about $150 less than the CCDB at my LBS, but I want the best result and tune ability for this bike, as I plan to start racing it next year. Anybody have any comments or advice on my decision?

Your bike looks amazing! Thanks for the pics. I almost got one but couldn't decide on the right size, I'm 6'1" and dont like a TT that much over 24" so i kind of fell in the middle. I've never seen a 35mm stem for a single crown, thats cool. Have you spent any time on the carbine 26 or 27.5? How it compared to the 29er.

How long have you had the Derbys? I just got some 275 for my T275
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Bike looks great!! You should also consider the BOS Kirk for a shock option... it transformed my Carbine. Very good shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    I've never seen a 35mm stem for a single crown, thats cool.
    I put a 35mm Hope stem on my Carbine 29 and like it a lot.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Your bike looks amazing! Thanks for the pics. I almost got one but couldn't decide on the right size, I'm 6'1" and dont like a TT that much over 24" so i kind of fell in the middle. I've never seen a 35mm stem for a single crown, thats cool. Have you spent any time on the carbine 26 or 27.5? How it compared to the 29er.

How long have you had the Derbys? I just got some 275 for my T275
    Hey thanks, I can't take credit for the looks, I just build it with mostly black components to allow the beautiful frame that Intense made stick out. Yeah, I originally bought a Carbine frame with the 27.5 drop outs at the same time back in DEC 2012. I had been running a 650b wheel on the front of my Firebird and didn't want to build a rear until I had a frame I KNEW it would fit in. I rode the it as 26 for a few weeks while build rear wheel and then as a 27.5 until April '13. I finally found a 29er that I liked and had 26 geo, so as to not feel like riding way up high. Also was looking to go with less suspension to cool my jets, as I'm not a 20 y.o. and my job depends on my limbs working, but also be able to ride the AZ terrain comfortably. Anyway, went to sell the Carbine and while cleaning it, found what I thought might be a hairline crack in the lower front part of DS chain stay. Without question, Sam at Intense said send to us and we'll replace it. It was going to be a couple months until I could get a large black frame, so I asked about the 29 and they said no prob. I told myself that I would just build it and test before selling it. Well, the bike is TOO AMAZING to sell, and I plan on keeping it. I loved the carbine 275, but had too many injuries from DHing on my Session and had decided it was time to chill. 275 is a great wheel size IMO, especially in techy terrain, but 29 is even better with the newer generation geometry that has taken hold. Intense didn't miss a beat with this Carbine model!! I built the Derby rims back in Nov. and couldn't be happier with them. I built them with DTS 350 hubs and DB spokes; Wheel set came out at 1910 grams and are bomb proof so far. Perfect match for the Carbine. A little lighter would be better obviously, but I don't notice the weight and pedal it uphill all day with a 30t X01 setup.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Bike looks great!! You should also consider the BOS Kirk for a shock option... it transformed my Carbine. Very good shock.
    Thanks for the input; I checked it out and seems as though it would be quite good. BUT, @ $720 I'm not a buyer. I get a nice discount from my LBS and I think I'm going to wait for the CC DB Inline to be available next month. I ridden the CCDB on my buddies Enduro and it's just plain amazing. I want the tune ability, but don't really want to add 3/4 of a pound to the bike, so the DB IL I thinks is the solution. Bike currently weighs 28lbs 5oz.
    MTBP

mtbr member
    What stem are you coming from? Stock 50mm? I'm 5'11" with a longish torso riding the large. I'm scared to try a medium, because it might feel better and I don't want to try to sell this for another one!

74 & 29 pilot
    What stem are you coming from? Stock 50mm? I'm 5'11" with a longish torso riding the large. I'm scared to try a medium, because it might feel better and I don't want to try to sell this for another one!
    I built from frame up and initially used a Easton Haven 55mm. I was happy with that at first, then rode my buddies Enduro with this Syntace 30mm stem and that was the key for me to make the change.

If your ever up by the McDowell's or plan on riding Phoenix Mt. Preserve, you're more than welcome to throw a leg over my stead. I'm in town until the 17th.

bikebling.com is selling the syntace stems at great prices; I just ordered a 40mm stem for my other FS 29er.
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I had a 50mm stem before swapping to the 35. I'm 5'10" and ride a large.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Does anyone know where I can find the sheet with the tightening torques of Carbine 29?

thx

(p.s. me too, I use a 35mm stem)

mtbr member
    Hay mtb pilot, I forgot to add that I have a dbcc CS on my t275. It was suggested by the intense crew. They did say the RS is a good shock and its better than the CTD. I'm very happy so far with the cc
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

Tree Crasher
    I read in MTBR's Enduro Compare-O that the 6' to 6'2" testers rode a size medium all the while thinking it was a large. The reach (15 7/8"), stack (23 7/16") and top tube of my large Blur LT2 26er is smaller than the medium Carbine. I'm 6'1". I also see a few of you swapped your stem to something drastically shorter.

I'm wondering if you guys went with a bike one size too large. Maybe this would explain BikeMag's complaints. From what I've been reading I too should consider a medium.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhop View Post
    ... I also see a few of you swapped your stem to something drastically shorter.

I'm wondering if you guys went with a bike one size too large. Maybe this would explain BikeMag's complaints. From what I've been reading I too should consider a medium.
    uuuuuummmmmmm, I don't think soooooo, but I think in the 6' range you can ride either. I was the same way with my Pivot 429c and LES. I demoed both sizes on both bikes before I decided. I ride a med 429c and a large LES. I could have ridden either in those bikes also, but wanted my 429 more playful and LES more stretched out XC style. The geo is quite different between my 429 and Carbine 29, but the reach isn't much more on the Carbine. I didn't put a 30mm stem on because the bike felt to big, I was fine with a 55m stem, I just really like the feel and handling of the short stem as I raced MX as a kid. I run a 55 or 40mm stem on my 429 also and still comfy.

I rode a large Carbine in 26/27.5 and compared the geo when I was getting the 29 frame and decided for the large. I tried to imagine how a medium would be while on my large, and I don't think I would like it, not sure though. I wanted a longer stretched out feel a bit on this bike, because I want the same feel I had blasting the steeps and rugged terrain as I did on my Session 88; More stable. I rode an XL 19.5" DH bike. I still find this lrg Carbine 29 quite agile and so capable.

In 2011, I wanted the 2010 Trek Remedy 9.9, cause I loved the paint job so much, plus I wanted more travel than my Fuel EX. I found a brand new one for $3k less than retail, but it was a 21.5" and normally rode 19.5. I went for it anyway and loved it so much, that I denied to myself it was too big. After about 3 months, I finally had to admit I couldn't maneuver the bike properly and my techy riding was suffering. Had to sell her...

Not the case in the slightest with this bike in a large for me. I believe I could ride both sizes looking at the #s and that a 6'5" guy would be fin on the large, but too large for me...no. Riding style and what you want the bike for might influence a 6 footer for which size to ride, but I'm happy with the large.
    MTBP

Pirate!!!
    I'm 6'3" with long limbs. I'm on a large, with a 50mm stem. The bike is a little compact when the seatpost is up and climbing, but when I drop the seat and point her down its perfect!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I changed my stem from the Enve 75mm lenght stem to the Renthal 40mm Duo stem and find that handling and steering is now more lively and responsive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhop View Post
    I read in MTBR's Enduro Compare-O that the 6' to 6'2" testers rode a size medium all the while thinking it was a large. The reach (15 7/8"), stack (23 7/16") and top tube of my large Blur LT2 26er is smaller than the medium Carbine. I'm 6'1". I also see a few of you swapped your stem to something drastically shorter.

I guess it's what you're used to and where you ride. I ride dirt bikes in the Northern Idaho mountains so a larger frame with a short stem and wide bars on my mtb feels normal to me. If I was riding park or jumping a lot I would probably go with a medium. Here's a shot of my bike from this mornings ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbine 29 Review-morning-comp.jpg  

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmben View Post
    I guess it's what you're used to and where you ride. I ride dirt bikes in the Northern Idaho mountains so a larger frame with a short stem and wide bars on my mtb feels normal to me. If I was riding park or jumping a lot I would probably go with a medium. Here's a shot of my bike from this mornings ride.
    Nice shot(pic)! Intense should buy that pic for some of their advertisement for the bike.
    MTBP

Tree Crasher
    Yeah I know all about the short stem / wider bars setup, having done it to my bikes long before bike companies jumped on it. I'm blessed with a wide variety of nearby trails to ride depending on the mood. From flat and flowy to chunky rooty uphill climbs, to small hip high drops to little sniper jumps and log rides. So when I see the "hard to lift front wheel", "tricky sizing" and "feels big" comments here and in the reviews, I'm reluctant to gamble $6k. In addition to my 5" (26er) Blur I have a HiFi 29er, so a wide array of my trail riding is covered. But there are times when riding one bike I wished I had the other. That's where the C29 would come in.

Guess I'll just forego the armchair analysis and tell my LBS no sale until I demo at least one size. My wallet feels better already.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nice shot(pic)! Intense should buy that pic for some of their advertisement for the bike.
    Hey thanks! That's a shot of lake CDA on my "go to" ride that I hit from my house. Here's another shot from the same ride, this ones of Hayden lake. That ride climbs around 2000ft up and then drops 2000ft back down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbine 29 Review-comp2.jpg  

Long Travel Lover

New carbine29

Just returned from a weekend of mixed lift served bike park and gorgeous XC trail riding to confirm that the Carbine is definitely the ultimate Quiver of One bike for me. Definitely had more bike than skills in the bike park - i.e. the Carbine never held me back and kept me out of trouble on the flowy blues I enjoy - a good thing.
    For XC I call it the easy chair, definitely over biked on some of the trails but, with the VPP and CCDB climb switch, its no less efficient than my short travel XC 29er(now sold). I was able to prove that to myself on multiple local timed climbs, including the 21 Switchback Salute, enough to use it on my last XC race(the Right call). But the best thing is I can ride every day - I feel better after 5 hours on this bike than I would after 2 hours on the shorty.
    Anyway, very stoked on this bike.
    5'11" on a Medium. 70mm stem, tried 50mm but no like. Since this pic added Renthal FB with 40mm rise to get rid of the spacers under the stem and also able to roll the bars back to get the perfect intermediate grip position. Lev 125 is at min insertion. Aside from the shorter head and seat tube the Medium has been easy to dial the fit, and I did get to test ride one first.
    Glad with the choice, in my mind the little shorter wheelbase of the medium made it more of an all around bike for me. If I could have convinced the wife I needed two bikes I might have gone with the large and set it up as more of an All Mountain slayer.
    But, honestly, I didn't need more at the bike park and I haven't missed the XC bike at all, so I'd say the Medium is perfect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbine 29 Review-20140526_141149.jpg  

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post
    Just returned from a weekend of mixed lift served bike park and gorgeous XC trail riding to confirm that the Carbine is definitely the ultimate Quiver of One bike for me. Definitely had more bike than skills in the bike park - i.e. the Carbine never held me back and kept me out of trouble on the flowy blues I enjoy - a good thing.
    For XC I call it the easy chair, definitely over biked on some of the trails but, with the VPP and CCDB climb switch, its no less efficient than my short travel XC 29er(now sold). I was able to prove that to myself on multiple local timed climbs, including the 21 Switchback Salute, enough to use it on my last XC race(the Right call). But the best thing is I can ride every day - I feel better after 5 hours on this bike than I would after 2 hours on the shorty.
    Anyway, very stoked on this bike.
    5'11" on a Medium. 70mm stem, tried 50mm but no like. Since this pic added Renthal FB with 40mm rise to get rid of the spacers under the stem and also able to roll the bars back to get the perfect intermediate grip position. Lev 125 is at min insertion. Aside from the shorter head and seat tube the Medium has been easy to dial the fit, and I did get to test ride one first.
    Glad with the choice, in my mind the little shorter wheelbase of the medium made it more of an all around bike for me. If I could have convinced the wife I needed two bikes I might have gone with the large and set it up as more of an All Mountain slayer.
    But, honestly, I didn't need more at the bike park and I haven't missed the XC bike at all, so I'd say the Medium is perfect.
    Hey Canary,

How are you liking the CCDB? Was talking to a guy tonight that loved the CCDB on his previous 4bar/horst link frame, but hated it on his SC Bronson with the VPP suspension. He said that he could take out enough compression damping with the already "anti squat" VPP and it ended up feeling not plush enough. I can understand what he was saying, but hoping that not the case with this frame as I'm planning on buying the CCDB In-line shock soon.

What's your opinion of this bike with the CCDB?

Thanks!!
    MTBP

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast