Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Long Travel Lover
    Interesting to hear the differences between the DB and Inline. Sounds like they had to make some compromises to get the same feel in a smaller package. With the DB the CS circuit is totally isolated and doesn't change with any of the other tuning. They have 5 different CS tunes and you select one the matches your suspension (picked by Intense for the Carbine). Intrigued by the compact design and lighter weight but probably better off with the DB on my bike for occasional bike park days and the longer alpine descents in the summer.
    Looks like the listed base tune is the generic factory tune so bracketing will improve it a lot. Good luck, it should be worth it.
    I've had the occasional 'hang-up' of the rear end in faster/bigger rock gardens. Wasn't sure if that was a VPP thing at some point in the travel or CC spiking thing. Any one that's switched shocks observed if it's better or worse with the CC DB or Inline?
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I will be selling this frame without a rear shock for $1300 if anyone knows anyone who wants a Carbine 29. Figure a new inline at Universal Cycles is $400 with the coupon code. It will also come with Elixir 9 trail carbon brakes. I have ridden it 6 times. perfect condition like new.

Quote Originally Posted by ski1970 View Post
    Here she is. It has taken me a few weeks to get the details all laid out but it is finished. I also have a some Easton Havoc 35 bars for the bike park days. This is a Med Carbine 29 and my hight is 5'10" Thank you to the Bike Co for building this sweet thing the way I wanted it for a unreal price. This is by far the best bike I have owned and not to mention a few Specialized SWorks 29 Enduro and 26 SWorks Enduro, Tallboy LTC, and regular Tallboy. This beast does it all effortlessly. OH and yes those are the new 780 Renthal carbon bars!!!!!!

Attachment 914025Attachment 914026Attachment 914027Attachment 914028Attachment 914029Attachment 914031

mtbr member

From my ride today

mtbr member
    How much does your bike weight? I am about to have the same size, with the similar build - except the brakes, Fox 36 Talas and ENVE bar.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post
    Just returned from a weekend of mixed lift served bike park and gorgeous XC trail riding to confirm that the Carbine is definitely the ultimate Quiver of One bike for me. Definitely had more bike than skills in the bike park - i.e. the Carbine never held me back and kept me out of trouble on the flowy blues I enjoy - a good thing.
    For XC I call it the easy chair, definitely over biked on some of the trails but, with the VPP and CCDB climb switch, its no less efficient than my short travel XC 29er(now sold). I was able to prove that to myself on multiple local timed climbs, including the 21 Switchback Salute, enough to use it on my last XC race(the Right call). But the best thing is I can ride every day - I feel better after 5 hours on this bike than I would after 2 hours on the shorty.
    Anyway, very stoked on this bike.
    5'11" on a Medium. 70mm stem, tried 50mm but no like. Since this pic added Renthal FB with 40mm rise to get rid of the spacers under the stem and also able to roll the bars back to get the perfect intermediate grip position. Lev 125 is at min insertion. Aside from the shorter head and seat tube the Medium has been easy to dial the fit, and I did get to test ride one first.
    Glad with the choice, in my mind the little shorter wheelbase of the medium made it more of an all around bike for me. If I could have convinced the wife I needed two bikes I might have gone with the large and set it up as more of an All Mountain slayer.
    But, honestly, I didn't need more at the bike park and I haven't missed the XC bike at all, so I'd say the Medium is perfect.

Long Travel Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteRun;11767893<gs id="22b773b5-1030-4214-b9eb-8fc0a743ab69" ginger_software_uiphraseguid="ded7ba98-030e-468a-909c-2232c70cf136" class="GINGER_SOFTWARE_mark">
    </gs>How much does your bike <gs id="9bed55dc-93f7-44b9-a50a-1f452051c059" ginger_software_uiphraseguid="ded7ba98-030e-468a-909c-2232c70cf136" class="GINGER_SOFTWARE_mark">weight</gs>? I am about to have the same size, with the similar build - except the brakes, Fox 36 Talas and ENVE bar.

Thanks<gs id="93133b34-8587-47c2-96bb-4c48121bb0b6" ginger_software_uiphraseguid="3fc3577f-45f3-4902-8eb7-b73f268c656f" class="GINGER_SOFTWARE_mark">,</gs>
    #29 with everything. Definitely could be built lighter without compromising its capabilities, but the ride is sublime with the Fox36 and the DBAir.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hi all im going to buy the 2015 29er just a few things to ask . I'm 5.9 so would a size M be good for me ? I normoly ride larger frames but I'm a little unsure that this in L would be a step to far as its realy long wheelbase . How is rear end flex on these ? Flex is a pet hate of mine ) im also a little unsure of the travel this offers 140-125 ? ALLSO bike comes with 160mm forks would 150 forks be better ? And how does it get off the ground ie playfull or hard work ? Sorry it's a lot im asking but looking at the 2015 with ENVE wheels its allmost 9k so it's a lot of cash . Ive rode 29er NINER before and really liked how it rode but did feel it suffered on long climbs so any imput from you users would be great .thanks

Long Travel Lover
    5' 11" on a medium w 70mm stem feels best for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks . I'm 12 stone with gear and agressive so how does this 29C like to sprint ?

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11 on a large. I've never felt that it was too big.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ok looking at buying the 2015 29C looking at the spec list and it comes with 70/30 ENVE wheels that's 70% DH and 30% climbing am I right in thinking they are a little over the top for trail use ? Maybe the enve 60/40 would be a better choice ? That's my only Nigel

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am selling my never ridden 2015 med carbine 29 ( it's listed in classifieds) if you all know anyone interested. It is specked top notch. Price is negotiable!

Dude, got any schwag?
    I am selling my never ridden 2015 med carbine 29 ( it's listed in classifieds) if you all know anyone interested. It is specked top notch. Price is negotiable!

That thing is sweet! Counting beans to see if I can pull it off...
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thank you. Good To go, I priced it at Fanatick bike as it sits and it comes out to $6749 but mine has Chris king hubs and the one I priced is with stan wheels and hubs. Let me know if your interested.

mtbr member
    Thank you. Good To go, I priced it at Fanatick bike as it sits and it comes out to $6749 but mine has Chris king hubs and the one I priced is with stan wheels and hubs. Let me know if your interested.
    Why are you really selling a brand new bike? Fess up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Because I am going to be moving and have a financial issue to take care of so this is the best way to make it happen quickly. My loss someones gain.
    Last edited by ski1970; 03-26-2015 at 06:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSchwagman View Post
    That thing is sweet! Counting beans to see if I can pull it off...
    I sent you a PM.

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Went from this:

To this:

Maiden voyage soon, so we'll see how she goes, but I'm pretty stoked.

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rb View Post
    Went from this:

To this:

Maiden voyage soon, so we'll see how she goes, but I'm pretty stoked.
    Way cool man! You will be very happy with the new ride I'm sure. What are you doing with the T275?

mtbr member
    Anybody riding a small? If so how tall are you?...Need help between a small and a medium....It seems people are sizing down on this bike.
    Just ride and quit bit$hin.......Yeti SB5+..SIR9 SS...CD Synapse DA...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    Anybody riding a small? If so how tall are you?...Need help between a small and a medium....It seems people are sizing down on this bike.
    Hi Dancruz,

Riding a small frame here. I am 5'6" (168cm). Stem is a 50mm Renthal Apex. Cranks are Sram XX1 at 170cm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Dancruz - if it helps, I'm 5'8" with 30" inseam in shoes (and longish upper torso) riding a medium frame with a 50mm stem and 780 bars. It's a great fit for me. Luckily had a chance to demo a large frame so knew a med would be good fit. Call Intense and they can give you some guidance as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yup, size down a bit. I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam and a medium frame with 50mm stem and 750mm bars. I would normally be on the cusp of medium vs large, but the medium Carbine feels perfect.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys for your input. Sounds like a medium....
    Just ride and quit bit$hin.......Yeti SB5+..SIR9 SS...CD Synapse DA...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Yup, size down a bit. I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam and a medium frame with 50mm stem and 750mm bars. I would normally be on the cusp of medium vs large, but the medium Carbine feels perfect.
    I am the same height and inseam and also love my medium. I wouldn't go any larger.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Anyone 6'-6'1" riding a medium C29?

mtbr member
    Tried a medium, too small for me. I'm 6'1".

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    No chance you will fit on a medium. I am 6'0" and ride a large.

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Here's another pic of my Carbine 29er

I used to be the guy that talked major sh!t on 29ers -- and rightfully so, because 99% of 'em are largely unrideable -- but this bike is incredible.

Seriously, hands down the best bike I've ever ridden. I thought my Tracer T275 was amazing (and it is!) but this thing feels like I just poured gasoline on fire.

28 lbs as pictured in photo above. Total cost, ~$4200 as-shown. Stoked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rb View Post
    I used to be the guy that talked major sh!t on 29ers -- and rightfully so, because 99% of 'em are largely unrideable -- but this bike is incredible.

Seriously, hands down the best bike I've ever ridden. I thought my Tracer T275 was amazing (and it is!) but this thing feels like I just poured gasoline on fire.

28 lbs as pictured in photo above. Total cost, ~$4200 as-shown. Stoked.
    Yup, I have a huge smile every time I ride mine! The fun factor is just awesome. This thing goes uphill just as good as my 4" XC ish bike and rips on the downs. I had a few "oh shit" moments the first few rides as I found myself carrying way more speed than normal.

Long Travel Lover

Sizing

From MTBR Enduro-Comparo:
    "Our 6-foot to 6-foot-2 riders who all initially thought they should have been on larges all felt the size medium tester was spot-on."

Usually ride a large, on my second medium Carbine29. Best if you can test ride one, of course.

mtbr member
    the smile on my face you can't see...

Quote Originally Posted by gasmanxj View Post
    Yup, I have a huge smile every time I ride mine! The fun factor is just awesome. This thing goes uphill just as good as my 4" XC ish bike and rips on the downs. I had a few "oh shit" moments the first few rides as I found myself carrying way more speed than normal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    "Usually ride a large, on my second medium Carbine29."

+1. Go for the smaller size and you won't have regrets

Dude, got any schwag?
    Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    This is a true one quiver MTB! I use it from everything from smooth xc trails to gnarly enduroracing and bikeparks.
    My setup:
    Late 2014 frame with CC DB inline & 2015 rear triangle (crash replacement, thanks Sam ), 150 mm Pike, CC -1 deg angleset, arch wheels with King hubs, RF Next SL cranks, 1*10 (34 * 11-40), XT brakes, saint shifters, zee derallieur with oneup radr cage. CB DH race pedals.
    Great bike!!!
    Carbine 29 Review-image.jpg

Long Travel Lover
    Great build. Neat set up with the angle set, I like the Pike 160 Dual position fork to cover from slack to more slack for extra versatility.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smuts View Post
    "Usually ride a large, on my second medium Carbine29."

+1. Go for the smaller size and you won't have regrets
    Interesting

I rode a Large Carbine ( I am 6'2") on tight switchbacks that I know very well and it felt like a barge. I have owned several Intense bikes (frame size large) over the years and this was the first one I didn't like. Maybe it was the configuration or.........maybe the frame was too big?

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just built a medium Carbine after owning off a medium tracer 29. I'm 6'1 and run it with a 50mm stem, I was worried that it may be a bit to tight up front but after putting 60 miles on it in VT over the long weekend I have absolutely no complaints.

Also no shame in my reflector game.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Might be the picture angle, but the saddle sure looks to be tilted back pretty far.
    Enjoying the powder and looking forward to spring!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It was corrected immediately. Just didn't shoot any additional photos.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm 6'1 and ride a large, previous bike was a large Tracer 275. The large is a good size for me, I have a long torso which makes a difference - also using a 40mm stem and 760 bar.

The Carbine 29 is noticeably longer and requires a more aggressive lean in the corners if you want to snap it around, holy hell is it ever fast though. I ride highly technical terrain which this thing ignores, climbs faster for sure and it often feels like I'm going slower but Strava says otherwise.

Long Travel Lover

Hover Bike

Definite upgrade from Inline. Just as supple off the top but better through the remainder of travel. Don't know how different it would be from the CCDBairCS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbine 29 Review-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaseco View Post
    Anyone else getting a popping or creaking coming from the rear on hard peddling?
    Ya i had the same issue. Its most likely the surfaces that are in contact between the linkage and the shock. Take apart, clean and lightly grease. P.S. Don't wash your bike and it will be noise free much longer between bearing jobs and lube jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Also check the BB.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wrong thread - sorry.
    Last edited by jtforester; 08-31-2015 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Wrong Thread

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Pirate!!!
    Beautiful! Where is that?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I ended up going for a 2014 medium, with 750mm bars and 50mm stem. Feels similar to my previous trail bike that was large. I had emailed Intense on this and it was suggested hands down that if you're 5'10 to 5'10.5, you go medium. Large on 26" and 27.5".

I have longer legs and arms and shorter torso. I don't think I look like a freak but I guess I am sorta. I wish I had gone 29er long ago. Having the higher front end is great.

The shop I got it from was cool enough to install a RF single wide ring and E13 42t cog and get rid of the front derailleur...that's how it was setup on the shop floor. All I had to do was install my crankbros seatpost and WTB saddle.

After a good two hour ride, I can say I love this thing. Nice and light and fast. The 29 wheels are a little funny at first but you get used to them and then start relying on them to get you up and down techy sections. I was riding up stuff I had issues with before.

I plan on swapping out the long XT derailleur for my spare mid-XT derailleur that has the green One-up cage and swap out the E13 42T cog for my matching green One-up 42 cog.

The Hans Dampf pacestar tires are too stiff and slip on everything when you start cranking. I'll be going to Maxxis HRII rear and DHF front as soon as I can.

The Float CTD and Fox 34 CTD aren't 'bad'. I find they have a place in the MTB world. I'm a set-and-forget guy so I'm leaving everything in trail mode. Although I'm thinking about either first trying a Vorsprung Corset sleeve, OR, send the shock to Avalanche to do his magic. I've even considered finding an old DHX Air with compression dial and have Craig tune it. As for the Fox 34 150mm, I wish it was 160mm but really it's only 10mm so it's a big deal really. I'll probably try to get the parts to adapt my Fox 36 Rc2 Avalanche cartridge to fit the 34.

Overall these are just parts I'm having issues with. The frame is amazing. Already scratched so I'll have to get one of those protective kits.

Carbine 29 Review-p5pb12682225.jpg

Carbine 29 Review-p5pb12682223.jpg
    Last edited by Christopher Robin; 09-14-2015 at 12:13 PM.
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    May 2007

Sorry guys first time post but hopefully the picture works. Love my carbine 29er

[attach=config]1014980[/attCarbine 29 Review-dsc_0944.jpgach]

mtbr member
    Moist~ from the coast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbine 29 Review-11889995_10153471995414034_5417295902771549324_o.jpg  

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast