Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    MTB Pilot,

I see you have a Mach 429 in the background, what do you think of the M429. I know the Carbine will be a lot plusher and the 429 much more efficient. But curious on your take on those great bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It appears that the article mentioned by Thelma appeared in the December 2013 issue of Mountain Biking UK. The review is found on page 104. The Carbine 29 was rated 4 1/2 over 5, it scored better over others like the GT Sensor Pro Alloy, Devinci Troy Carbon SL, Lapierre Spicy 527 EI, Santa Cruz Bronson C and Marin Attack Trail Quad Carbon XT Pro.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    MTB Pilot,

I see you have a Mach 429 in the background, what do you think of the M429. I know the Carbine will be a lot plusher and the 429 much more efficient. But curious on your take on those great bikes.
    Well, the 429c is my favorite bike of all time, since I started riding mt. bikes in '94. I never liked 29ers in their early inception; I felt way up high and clumsy. The latest generation and improvements I'm down with. The 29" wheel is a no-brainer here in AZ rock and chunk. That being said, I really like the feel of the 429, as I feel like I'm in the bike and not way upon top; At 6' I ride a medium frame. I have a Fox 34 140, shimmed down to 130 and sagged to use only 125mm. The 32 was just too weak for my 205# geared up azz and the AZ terrain. It's really fast and agile, and with only 100mm in the back, handles AZ chunk really well; I kind of glide over everything with speed. The bikes geo and handling just feels really dialed and I can't complain about it at all. It's a bike I can ride all day and most all conditions.

I put my Derby Wide rimmed wheels on the Carbine and am running carbon Havens on the 429c; About a 320g diff. The 429 has XTR 2x10 and Carbine has X01 with old X0 crank and Wolftooth direct mount ring. Both have 150mm KS LEV posts, descent to large sized tires, XTR/XT trail pedals and brakes, and both weigh in at 28lbs 6oz exactly. If I eventually go with the XTR 1x11 that is coming on the 429, it will lose a few ounces.

So far, 25 miles of chunky, technical terrain, the Carbine is a real performer. I rode my original carbine as a 26 and 27.5, and love the bike!! I do feel a little on-top of the 29, but I got used to it and feels like the Carbine 275, but with wagon wheels. It is a monster truck, as has been described before in other reviews, and just crushes and rolls over anything in front of it. The rear triangle feels stiffer on the 29 version compared to my original Carbine frame. It's very fast and responsive, and I'm not having any problems maneuvering it in any tight situations or switchbacks. Climbing is very efficient with no feed back in the pedals and the rear end stays stuck to the ground. I may have detected a little wandering in slow chunky climbs, but that also could have been from my "not in riding shape," tired azz. The RS Pike is an incredible fork!! I really like the Fox 34 on the 429, but if you want 34-35mm stanchions at 140mm plus, the RS Pike edges out Fox as an all around better performer. The one thing I have noticed though, and I think it is designed into the fork, is the lowers on the Pike seem to flex back and forth, longitudinally, at high speed on rough, small bump trails. It's not "noodley" like a Fox 32 120+mm fork that feels like its going to snap in half, but just this little flex at the bottom of the lowers; May be all my imagination The thing that has surprised me the most, next to the rear triangle stiffness, is how plush the Fox float CTD is and how well it handles slamming into the chunk at speed. The float on my '12 Carbine frame was nowhere near as plush and felt like the rear end would get a little hung up in the chunk, even with 650b wheels; Not the Carbine 29. Thought if I decided to keep the bike to ride in some Enduro, Super-D races, that I would want the plushness of the CCDB, Monarch Plus, or Float X. As of now with the little time I have on it, I won't replace the Float unless it fails. The bike is long, kind of feels like the XL Session 88 I had, but still very maneuverable and much more nimble than a DH bike. I'm not sure what those guys were talking about in Bike Mag's "bike bible" review with respect to manuals and getting it airborne!?!? I don't think it's hard with this bike at all, in fact, with the longer stays, it's quite easy to balance with the front off the ground. Wheelies are really easy, I have no problem manually over chunk at high and low speed and feels balanced in the little 2 feet of air I flew it in a couple of times.

That's all I know so far, but report back over the next few months as I get more time on the bike.

In the mean time, some more BP:

Last edited by MTB Pilot; 03-01-2014 at 01:12 PM.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hey Sam,

Saw the video of you in Facebook ripping the trails and having great air time near the end of it. All these before hitting the office?!? You have a dream job and you ride well.

Pirate!!!
    MTB Pilot, how do you like your Derby wide wheels? I'm looking at those for my C29 also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sam, have you guys rode the 29 with 140mm travel front? I'm guessing numbers would make HA and SA about a degree steeper and BB height 13.4". I'm liking the idea of a 140mm front most of the time and changing it to 150 for certain races.

I fix your broken ****!
    Quote Originally Posted by kongg View Post
    Hey Sam,

Saw the video of you in Facebook ripping the trails and having great air time near the end of it. All these before hitting the office?!? You have a dream job and you ride well.
    Thanks, and yes we try to get out either before or after hitting the office quite a bit
    Sam Wilson
    Jack of All Trades
    Intense Cycles, Inc.
    Sam@Intensecycles.com

I fix your broken ****!
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Sam, have you guys rode the 29 with 140mm travel front? I'm guessing numbers would make HA and SA about a degree steeper and BB height 13.4". I'm liking the idea of a 140mm front most of the time and changing it to 150 for certain races.
    You're basically at Spider 29 Comp geo with that fork setup. Im sure it would still ride fine, but we only run our Carbine 29's with 150-160mm forks
    Sam Wilson
    Jack of All Trades
    Intense Cycles, Inc.
    Sam@Intensecycles.com

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hi Guys, just wondering whether anyone has tried a coil shock on the 29? Dirt Mag seem to think it would work well. Any views / experiences?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Does anyone know where I could get a custom Carbine 29 build done? Most places are offering either the X0 build kit, or frame only - but ideally I'd like to get a 160mm Pike (only available with the build kit AFAIK) plus a CCDBA, XX1 and Shimano brakes. Any bikes shops able to put that together?

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamB View Post
    Does anyone know where I could get a custom Carbine 29 build done? Most places are offering either the X0 build kit, or frame only - but ideally I'd like to get a 160mm Pike (only available with the build kit AFAIK) plus a CCDBA, XX1 and Shimano brakes. Any bikes shops able to put that together?
    If you can change the oil in your car, you can build a bike. Do it yourself. No better way to get to know your own machine.

I fix your broken ****!
    either of these guys can put together custom builds for you:

Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham Wa - Intense, Turner, Ibis, Santa Cruz, Morewood, Evil, Cannondale, Norco, Felt, Surly...

Wrench Science: Custom Bicycle Builder Online - Road, Mountain, Cyclocross, Track Parts
    Sam Wilson
    Jack of All Trades
    Intense Cycles, Inc.
    Sam@Intensecycles.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ah - should have been clearer! I'm perfectly happy to build my own bike (put my new M9 together last night ), but buying everything together almost always works out cheaper than buying parts separately.

In particular, the combination of OEM-only fork and CCDBA - if I can only get the fork in a build kit, then I'll need to swap out a whole load of parts to get the build I'm after. If the build kit only comes with a Fox, not the CCDBA, then I'm going to lose money trying to sell the Fox shock on...

Edit: Thanks Sam - I'll see if I can get Wrench Science or Fanatik to swap out some bits and get my ideal build together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ah - should have been clearer! I'm perfectly happy to build my own bike (put my new M9 together last night ), but buying everything together almost always works out cheaper than buying parts separately.

In particular, the combination of OEM-only fork and CCDBA - if I can only get the fork in a build kit, then I'll need to swap out a whole load of parts to get the build I'm after. If the build kit only comes with a Fox, not the CCDBA, then I'm going to lose money trying to sell the Fox shock on...

Edit: Thanks Sam - I'll see if I can get Wrench Science or Fanatik to swap out some bits and get my ideal build together.
    SamB,

You can get the 160mm air shaft from AEbikes (as recommended by CaptCobb in this forum) to convert the off the shelf 150mm travel RS pike to the 160mm travel RS pike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Is there anywhere in the southeast that I could demo the Carbine 29? I'm in the market for a new bike and really want to test it out.

Also at 5'8" what size should I ride? It seems from reviews that Intense runs larger then other medium size bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

I'm 5'8" and on a medium with a 50mm stem

Quote Originally Posted by ChiliDog76 View Post
    Is there anywhere in the southeast that I could demo the Carbine 29? I'm in the market for a new bike and really want to test it out.

Also at 5'8" what size should I ride? It seems from reviews that Intense runs larger then other medium size bikes.
    But I like my pedally bikes long so I think the small might be the better fit for you. Also these bikes have a long wheelbase, I imagine the small would handle better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Demo?

Bump

Quote Originally Posted by ChiliDog76 View Post

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    As I said before what country

sent from my non apple product

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vwsurfbum View Post
    As I said before what country.
    Southeast US. Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, etc

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ah ha can't help you then

mtbr member
    Just got my carbine 29, only a couple rides in but I'm loving it.

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaseco View Post
    Just got my carbine 29, only a couple rides in but I'm loving it.
    Pics or it's not real..

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi guys, this is my Carbine, here you can see near Garda Lake in northern Italy

Carbine 29 Review-cam00487.jpgCarbine 29 Review-dsc00981.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That view over the lakes is gorgeous.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast