Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm surprised at all the different sizes we've all picked. Im6'3" with long arms and legs so went for an XL with a 35mm stem. Still feels long but good put some 35mm diameter Raceface sixc 800mm bars on her to get the control feeling over the 29" hoops.

What does everyone else's weigh? Mines between 28-29lbs

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    While I could easily have gone with a large with a 35mm stem, I'm happy I didn't. For local areas, climbing with a 47" wheelbase would have been a little too much.

With the higher front end and large wheels, this feels like a large 26" trail bike. I noticed the change when I went to 27.5 on my M9; the bike just felt bigger.

The one thing I have sort of disappointed (and I'm hoping they did this for a reason), is the tapered headtube. I would have loved to try an offset headset to get in between medium and large.
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008
    Mine(2015) weighs 27.8 lbs with pedals
    Last edited by bluebeard; 10-09-2015 at 12:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Those of you with Cane Creek DBairs, what air can are you using? (standard or high volume).

Second, are you using the DBair with climb switch? I'm not a huge fan of having to reach down and flip a switch as most of the trails I ride have constant ups and downs (that's why I leave my CTD switch in the trail position all the time). Are you finding issues pedaling up hill with the standard DBair??
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

SISSIF
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
    Mine weighs 27.8 lbs with pedals
    Last spring Large set-up XC with light wheels/tires, CC inline shock, XTR race brakes with 160/180 rotors, light XTR pedals, 2x10 XTR: 26.5# - Great early season valley cruiser.

This fall set-up "Enduro" with HD Derby's and beefy rubber, Float X2, Hope brakes with 183/203 rotors, Heavy VX Adventure pedals, 1x10: 29.5# - Unstoppable Big Mountain Slayer!
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post
    Last spring Large set-up XC with light wheels/tires, CC inline shock, XTR race brakes with 160/180 rotors, light XTR pedals, 2x10 XTR: 26.5# - Great early season valley cruiser.

This fall set-up "Enduro" with HD Derby's and beefy rubber, Float X2, Hope brakes with 183/203 rotors, Heavy VX Adventure pedals, 1x10: 29.5# - Unstoppable Big Mountain Slayer!
    How would you compare the x2 to the inline shock
    Thanks

SISSIF
    X2>DBairCS>Inline.
    Ridden all 3 on the Carbine. Happy with all, Inline is a great supple trail shock. DBairCS better when pushing harder. Float X2 like DBairCS only more so. Easy to adjust, supple and supportive through whole travel. Don't miss the CS.

mtbr member
    I just got an X2 to replace my Inline on my Spider Comp (pike 140, Derby Rims). After 2 rides I much prefer it to the inline, I found it to be a lot more supple and composed/supportive too! But I have been bottoming harsh on big hits/drops with 3 volume reducer rings/190Psi and middle range recommended factory settings. Still trying to get it to my liking.
    Technical switch back climbs have been a lot easier. I was surprised. Extra weight was not noticeable.

I also have a Carbine 29 (pike 150/spank wheels)and I will be putting the inline shock on that bike once I convert it to 2.25" stroke by removing the travel reducer/spacer. On the Spider I found the inline to be a little too firm on my rear end. I always felt the shock change after using the climb switch. Hopefully it will feel better on the carbine.

Right now I am ridding the spider more due to wheels and shock.

What is your weight and current setup on the X2 and what was your Inline setup?

SISSIF
    Interesting moving between those two bikes. I picture them being very similar with a gradually decreasing leverage ratio as you go up in travel but similar progression towards the end of travel. Ended up going to 4 volume spacers to reduce bottom out on the X2, although it was never harsh. 160 psi for 140mm travel setting riding #190. RC4 settings pretty much by the Fox table.
    Inline was pretty good for trail riding, actually like it better at 125mm which would lead me to think it would be better for the Spider[?] - I guess not. Anyway had it set up pretty close to the CC base tune from Intense with spacers, sag and dials. Don't remember the exact numbers.
    Definitely prefer the X2 for pushing the Carbine hard - turned it into a freaking hover bike!

mtbr member
    I was able to get a Carbine 29 frame without a shock for a very good price, after getting the spider comp. I think the only difference between the two is travel, based on using different upper links and a longer stroke shock. Otherwise the frames are identical. I don't notice that much difference between them other the different shocks and wheels and the slightly longer wheelbase on the carbine around tight switchbacks.
    I would have used the X2 on the Carbine but it is a 2" fixed stroke. On the inline you can remove a spacer to make it 2.25" stoke.

I think for the X2 I will have to use a 4th spacer too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have an X2 on the way and looking forward to trying it. Good to know about the needed spacers.
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008
    Just got a 2016 Pro build(modified) and right now it weighs 26.75 lbs with pedals

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Just got off the phone with Craig over at Avalanche, looks like he's got something in the works for the Float X2. I was contemplating sending my CTD off to him and then do a comparison between a tuned CTD and a Float X2 on my Carbine. I'll wait and see now.

voob, not sure what you're talking about but any shock I've had for my Carbine is 2.25 stroke.
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

SISSIF
    Hard to imagine improving on the Fox X2 on my Carbine. What is Craig thinking he can do for you?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I don't think I can exactly repeat everything he said without getting most of it wrong. Something about blending the high speed and low speed so there's a better transition between the two. He said he would be modifying the adjusters and adding adjustable shim stacks behind them. I can also see him messing with the reservoir, IFP, and reservoir oil volume although he didn't mention this.

He said we're looking at 6 months from now, so next spring.

I'm still having fun messing with my X2 anyway.
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chute6 View Post
    My large as you see it weighs 28.4 lbs.

Carbine 29 Review-carbine.jpg

2014 Large Carbine with Float CTD (need to go X2)
    Nox Farlows with Chris King hubs
    X1/X01 drivetrain
    Pro Taper Carbon bars 780mm
    RS Reverb Stealth 420mm
    Holzfeller 40mm stem
    Hope E4 brakes with floating rotors
    Pike 160mm
    WTB Volt Team saddle
    Nobby Nic 2.25 rear/Nevegal 2.20 front
    XTR trail pedals
    ESI Chunky foam grips

I'm 6'0", 210# before gear and I can ride this large comfortably all day long. 40 and 50 mile rides in the Sierras are a typical thing. Not a fan of smaller bikes. The wheelbase has never been an issue and I ride some very tight switchback trails.
    It was love at first sight.... she had alloy nipples after all!

SISSIF
    Great Build. Love the Hope brakes. Nice trim on the Pike.

mtbr member
    Thanks! Everything's working out great so far.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Where can I get those silly little cable housing ties for the stealth post? (for the bolts on the downtube).
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Is this the general discussion thread for the Carbine 29? I just got one and I'm so excited about it but nobody on MTBR seems to be talking about them anymore.

I got the XL Carbine 29 because it is, I believe, literally the largest carbon full-suspension long travel 29er in the world. I'm 6'7" and need the biggest bike I can get. Here is a picture of my new baby:

Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.

Pirate!!!
    She's a beaut.... I loved mine!

mtbr member
    A year after the build and I still love my Carbine and don't plan to replace her for many many years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2_mountain_bike View Post
    A year after the build and I still love my Carbine and don't plan to replace her for many many years.
    Agreed. Its as good or better than anything else out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I can't afford to replace it any time soon so it's nice that I love this thing.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    Is this the general discussion thread for the Carbine 29? I just got one and I'm so excited about it but nobody on MTBR seems to be talking about them anymore.

I got the XL Carbine 29 because it is, I believe, literally the largest carbon full-suspension long travel 29er in the world. I'm 6'7" and need the biggest bike I can get. Here is a picture of my new baby:

Gorgeous bike!

mtbr member
    So for whatever reason my Carbine 29 didn't come with a grease gun. Can someone point me towards something that will work for servicing the pivots? And what grease are ya'll using?
    Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So for whatever reason my Carbine 29 didn't come with a grease gun. Can someone point me towards something that will work for servicing the pivots? And what grease are ya'll using?
    All you need is a chain saw grease gun from your local hardware store. I use the disposable plunger type.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Grease comes pre loaded in the disposable plunger

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Right on! You are going to love that bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I use what ever bike grease I have handy, currently Park ppl grease in a tube hooked up to a grease gun similar to the Pedros injector. Some people use a Dualco grease gun stuffed with automotive bearing grease or waterproof bearing grease.

mtbr member
    Here are a few pictures from my ride last night.

Anyone have any ideas for what I should upgrade first? It's amazing as-is, but if course I've started to wonder how I could make it better. Its got a SRAM GX 1x11 drivetrain, Guide R brakes, RaceFace Aeffect Wheels, a Solo Pike RC, and a Monarch RT3. What would you do?

mtbr member
    I would upgrade the rear shock first, then wheelsets or fork. wider and lighter handlebar maybe... These items will do make notable performance diff.

I think the drive chain and brakes are fine, only the cassette & crank weight more than the higher end SRAM 11sp.

Anyone have any ideas for what I should upgrade first? It's amazing as-is, but if course I've started to wonder how I could make it better. Its got a SRAM GX 1x11 drivetrain, Guide R brakes, RaceFace Aeffect Wheels, a Solo Pike RC, and a Monarch RT3. What would you do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Wheels. Not sure about the Aeffect but mine came with RF Turbines that were super flexy. Set of I9 Enduros solved that problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmanxj View Post
    Wheels. Not sure about the Aeffect but mine came with RF Turbines that were super flexy. Set of I9 Enduros solved that problem.
    Same here. Got my Carbine 29 with a set of RF Turbines. On my 3rd ride, wheels needs to be trued right away. Alloy is very soft on those wheelset. Recently got some 27.5 carbon wheels, 40mm external, 35mm internal. Got some thick tires and walla, bike became 650B+! Here are some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbine 29 Review-20160503_164705-01-01_resized.jpg  

Carbine 29 Review-20160503_165342-01-01_resized.jpg  

Carbine 29 Review-20160503_164611-01-01_resized.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've noticed my rear wheel feels flexy, but I think it might be the Schwalbe Hans Dampf that came with the bike. That thing seems to wiggle all over at anything below 32ish PSI. Might try a new tire before a new wheel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    [QUOTE=asollie;12627049]I've noticed my rear wheel feels flexy, but I think it might be the Schwalbe Hans Dampf that came with the bike. That thing seems to wiggle all over at anything below 32ish PSI. Might try a new tire before a new wheel.[/QUO

I think the Aeffects are a little beefier than the Turbines, but if you are feeling flexy on it, it might still be the same material as the softier Turbines. So far I have 8 total rides on the Chinese Carbon wheels, man a whole different ball game than the alloys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've just picked up a 2015 Carbine 29 second hand, and am looking for some advice on the shock. It's got a Float DPS at the moment, which will be OK - but I'm planning to upgrade when funds allow.

My default option would be a CCDB (I was running a CCDB coil on my old 5.5 ). Is the DBAir CS just as good as the DBAir? I remember hearing some rumblings at release that the small bump sensitivity on the CS wasn't quite as good, even when you're switched to the main circuit.

Or, should I be looking elsewhere? The new Float X2 looks good - is it anywhere need the DBAir (CS)?

I'm more interested in downhill performance than anything else. Anyone got any pointers?

SISSIF
    I've had Fox CTD, CC DBAIR and Inline and Fox X2. I'd pick X2 all the way. Turned the Carbine 29er into a freakin' hover bike.

BTW 2015 M Carbine 29er frame w/ Fox Float X2 for sale. PM me.

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Yeah Float X2 all the way.

mtbr member
    I've noticed my rear wheel feels flexy, but I think it might be the Schwalbe Hans Dampf that came with the bike. That thing seems to wiggle all over at anything below 32ish PSI. Might try a new tire before a new wheel.
    Turns out this was caused by one of my suspension linkages being 90% unthreaded! Check your linkages everyone!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The X2 works well for the downs. I'm still trying to dial it in for climbing and flat pedaling over the roots and rocks. I'm getting close, although I wish it had more mid stroke support and a little but of a smoother transition between the low and high speed damping.

2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Give the new DVO Topaz T3 a shot. I just installed mine replacing the DBinline for my C29. It's lightweight, fast adjustability and you can fine tune it to your ride preference easily. It also looks sick!!

Quote Originally Posted by SamB View Post
    I've just picked up a 2015 Carbine 29 second hand, and am looking for some advice on the shock. It's got a Float DPS at the moment, which will be OK - but I'm planning to upgrade when funds allow.

My default option would be a CCDB (I was running a CCDB coil on my old 5.5 ). Is the DBAir CS just as good as the DBAir? I remember hearing some rumblings at release that the small bump sensitivity on the CS wasn't quite as good, even when you're switched to the main circuit.

Or, should I be looking elsewhere? The new Float X2 looks good - is it anywhere need the DBAir (CS)?

I'm more interested in downhill performance than anything else. Anyone got any pointers?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just got an X2 w/ climb switch. Liking the shock so far: buttery smooth and Climb switch takes out all bob. When bouncing around a bit I was surprised how deep the x2 goes into travel. Threw in a 4th spacer and cranked up the HS compression. Just by bunnyhopping to the max I manage to go through 80% of the travel. Without having checked, it feels like the previous CCDBAirCS was not using so much travel (more HS compression).

What's the take on this by other X2 owners?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think it depends on the valving from the factory. I'm using 2 volume rings and just reduced to one to try that out. My high speed compression is maybe half way out. My take is the shock needs more mid stroke support so you can back off on the low speed compression, volume spacers... Etc and maximize the small bump sensitivity.

2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My DB Inline seems to have crapped out on me after 7 rides so I will need something to replace it while it is gone for service.

I wnat to keep using my waterbottle cage and have been looking at the Monarch RT3 but after seeing the X2's on some of your bikes, I wonder now if I can get one of those and still keep the the cage, since piggyback is on the bottom of the shock.

Do any of you know if htere is enough clearance with the X2's piggyback and a bike cage?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    What size frame? On a medium it's a no. I got a side pull cage and even with a short bottle it doesn't work.

2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    @Christopher Robin: exactly, mid stroke support is missing.

Are there different tunes (factory valving) for after market X2 shocks? As far as I could tell online retailers only have product variations in terms of amount of spacers pre-installed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I was told there are a couple different tunes, but that was from a local Fox suspension tuner. Avalanche Downhill Racing is on the edge of releasing their piston and valving to work in the X2. I'm waiting for that.

2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
    What size frame? On a medium it's a no. I got a side pull cage and even with a short bottle it doesn't work.

Damnit...alright....thanks, Christopher Robin.

mtbr member
    Hmmm...

Interesting. I thought this was a problem someone solved a couple of years ago. I'm strugling with my Fox RP23 mounted on my Tracer2. Will try a modification read in another thread. But I'm a bit confused why people still are strugling with bikes going thru most of the travel on not-big-hits. And with different bikes and shocks...

As I said: hmmm...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Not sure if it will help or not, but Shimano makes a piece that lets you move the mount for your water bottle. Basically bolt the piece to the frame using the frame's water bottle holes, then you can raise/lower the bottle mounting point to the piece.

Not sure if that will help you but I don't think many people know about that piece.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I've just switched from a CCDB Air CS to a Float X2 w/ Climb Lever. For one I've learnt that the X2 needs equalizing when setting up the air spring. Right now I'm in the midst of dialing in rebound & compression. So far I've not managed to get the shock to the same performance level as the CCDB. Can I ask other C29/X2 riders to share their settings (weight/PSI/HSC/LSC/HSR/LSR)? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The equalizing... Yup, don't forgot to do that. It's not a huge deal. I'll check tonight and post my settings up. I'm still fine tuning but I'm pretty close.

How does the climb switch work? Completely lock out or leaves some play?

2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    HI everyone hire is mine new toy 2015 version size M

weight 13,6 kg/29,9828677 pounds. A bit heavy maybe because of onyx hubs?

Just wondering if Continental Trail King fit in rear on 34mm wide (28mm internal) rim

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think it would be interesting to hear from the guys at Intense what shock the Carbine 29 was originally designed around. Was it the RP23/CTD or something else? I think you can tune your suspension only so much with your high speed dials and volume spacers.

2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smuts View Post
    I've just switched from a CCDB Air CS to a Float X2 w/ Climb Lever. For one I've learnt that the X2 needs equalizing when setting up the air spring. Right now I'm in the midst of dialing in rebound & compression. So far I've not managed to get the shock to the same performance level as the CCDB. Can I ask other C29/X2 riders to share their settings (weight/PSI/HSC/LSC/HSR/LSR)? Thanks.
    Here's what im going to try today. I mostly played with volume spacers and air pressure. The rest is almost what I had before:

Hsc 19, Lsc 18, Hsr 15, Lsr 15

1x volume spacer, about 200lbs pressure.

I guess I'm almost in the middle. I think I'm somewhere near Fox's recommendations.

2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

AKA Mr.Habanero
    Im having a heck of a time here with chain length. I have a large Carbine 29C, with a Suntour cassette 11-42, oval 28 tooth chainring and XO long cage rear D. I have trying 111 links but it seems too tight on the large cog but too loose on the smaller cogs. What are you guys using?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by panzer103 View Post
    Im having a heck of a time here with chain length. I have a large Carbine 29C, with a Suntour cassette 11-42, oval 28 tooth chainring and XO long cage rear D. I have trying 111 links but it seems too tight on the large cog but too loose on the smaller cogs. What are you guys using?
    111 on mine with 10-42 cassette, 28t round chainring, X1 derailleur.

AKA Mr.Habanero
    Cool. I'll give it another shot. Maybe tripping.lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Looking to buy a new bike, I placed calls all over the PNW today looking for a Transition Smuggler 3, but they only have one large left in all black (not a fan, wanted orange).

So since I've been home I've looking at everything under the sun, then I got a email on my phone from JensonUSA advertising Summer Bike Sale and I came across the 2015 Carbine 29 XT, all the reviews I've read here and on Jenson have nothing but good things to say.

I really don't have any questions other then I've never thought of buying a carbon bike, are there any fears/cautions etc ? I have more questions about JensonUSA then the bike. Are they factory seconds, used, demo's ? The listed price was $7000 and now on sale for $3700.

Any help would be appreciated.

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008
    Carbine 29 Review-p5pb13613396.jpgCarbine 29 Review-p5pb13613397.jpgCarbine 29 Review-p5pb13613400.jpgCarbine 29 Review-p5pb13613403.jpgCarbine 29 Review-p5pb13613404.jpgCarbine 29 Review-p5pb13613405.jpgCarbine 29 Review-p5pb13613406.jpgCarbine 29 Review-p5pb13613407.jpgCarbine 29 Review-p5pb13613411.jpgCarbine 29 Review-p5pb13613412.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-IntenseCustServ View Post
    We've been getting some awesome reviews for this bike since its release:

Intense Carbine 29: Could this be the ultimate trail/race weapon? | Enduro Mountainbike Magazine

Anyone that has one want to comment on their experience so far?

Let me know if anyone has any questions about this beast!
    I have a very sweet 2016 custom build in Medium size for sale if anyone is interested
    My build is way nicer than any of the factory builds and it is priced right
    I will post in classifieds when I get some time

2016 Intense Carbine 29
    Medium frame size “Immaculate”
    Ohlins RFX 34 140mm
    Monarch Debonair plus RC3 HV MM 140/124mm adjustable travel
    Roval Traverse SL Carbon wheelset XD driver
    Maxxis HR2 TR EXO 2.3 tires (tubeless)
    Magura MT7 Next 4 Piston brakeset
    Magura Storm SL 180/160 rotors
    Sram XO1 Rear Mech
    Sram X1 Shifter
    Sram X1 chain
    Sram X1 1175 XG 10/42 11 speed cassette
    Sram XO Carbon crankset
    Kindshock LEV Integra 31.6 125mm dropper
    Shimano Pro Turnix AF Carbon saddle
    Raceface Next SL 780x35 mm bars
    Raceface Turbine 60x35 mm stem
    ODI Rogue Grips

$5500 USD shipped to lower 48
    Pedals not included
    PRICE IS 100% FIRM, WILL I TAKE LESS ? THE ANSWER IS "NO"
    THIS IS EQUIVALENT TO THEIR FACTORY($9500) BUILD
    SO IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT LOOK ELSEWHERE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by powdertrax View Post
    Looking to buy a new bike, I placed calls all over the PNW today looking for a Transition Smuggler 3, but they only have one large left in all black (not a fan, wanted orange).

So since I've been home I've looking at everything under the sun, then I got a email on my phone from JensonUSA advertising Summer Bike Sale and I came across the 2015 Carbine 29 XT, all the reviews I've read here and on Jenson have nothing but good things to say.

I really don't have any questions other then I've never thought of buying a carbon bike, are there any fears/cautions etc ? I have more questions about JensonUSA then the bike. Are they factory seconds, used, demo's ? The listed price was $7000 and now on sale for $3700.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Got my Carbine from Jenson a few months ago. It was a great experience. I talked to a service rep there and he said basically they bought all of Intense's extra frames for the 2015 year and built them up with their own parts. So they are brand new frames and components. They aren't the Intense builds, but they didn't skimp on quality parts.

Its my first carbon bike too, and I'm very happy with it. Its a much better bike than I am a rider. If they have one in your size jump on it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ^^This. I bought a 14' a year ago from Jenson, no issues. Was well put together and packed up. Great deal IMHO and wouldn't hesitate to buy another bike from them. Tip, if you order online and go through Active Junky you'll save another 6%. If you prefer to order over the phone, mention Active Junky and they may offer you the same discount directly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks guys, I'll check it out

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Likewise I'm getting tempted by the current JensonUSA 2015 Carbine 29 sale prices. However I was hoping you guys could help me understand better the value differences between their SRAM GX and Shimano XT builds.

Here are the direct links for each.

SRAM GX (Sale - $2,999, List - $4,999)
    Intense Carbine 29 GX Jenson Bike 2015 > Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA

Shimano XT (Sale - $3,699, List - $6,999)
    Intense Carbine 29 XT Jenson Bike 2015 > Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA

The builds are very similar apart from the drive trains and brake sets, which from my research mostly come down to shifter preference. Also the XT gets a higher volume Monarch rear shock, RCT3 version of the Pike fork and slightly different Race Face wheels but does all/any of that justify the XT build being valued at $2,000 more than the GX?

For what it is worth I'm comparing these to the new YT Jeffsy. The AL Comp 2 is comparable price wise for similar equipment, apart from being 2x10, but is naturally about 2 lbs heavier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icelt View Post
    Likewise I'm getting tempted by the current JensonUSA 2015 Carbine 29 sale prices. However I was hoping you guys could help me understand better the value differences between their SRAM GX and Shimano XT builds.
    I'm not knowledgeable enough to compare the two directly, but I will say that I have the GX build and its an incredibly solid bike. There is no component that I feel is lacking or problematic. I've been wanting to upgrade something, but it all works so well that I can't really justify it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm not knowledgeable enough to compare the two directly, but I will say that I have the GX build and its an incredibly solid bike. There is no component that I feel is lacking or problematic. I've been wanting to upgrade something, but it all works so well that I can't really justify it.
    Thanks for the feedback man. Although my current ride is a 3x10 XT setup and I've grown very comfortable with Shimano's dual action shifting, I've read enough positive reports about the GX 1x11 implementation to feel good about the $700 in savings.

However, and maybe it's just the anal retentiveness emerging, I still have a sneaky suspicion that there's a reasonable explanation as to why that 20% (present cost) price disparity exists.

If nothing else I could pretty easily talk myself into using the $700 saved for a better, lighter, stiffer set of hoops. There are worse fall back positions.

mtbr member
    Hi! Do you know if the geo has changed from 2014? I've found a frame at a very good price and have been taking a look at the website.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by molopoko View Post
    Hi! Do you know if the geo has changed from 2014? I've found a frame at a very good price and have been taking a look at the website.
    I believe the latest geo is identical to the 2104 geo. The 2014 frames did have weird removable chips for the rear axle which I've heard made it slightly less stiff, but its probably not noticeable by most humans.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You're referring to the aluminum G1 dropouts on the 2014, vs the all one-piece rear end of the 2015+?

Yeah I heard the G1 rear end wasn't as stiff but I don't notice huge issues since I have stiff wheels.

Latest updates: Push'd DHX with MX tune, and plastic wheels.

Carbine 29 Review-p5pb13855970.jpg
    Last edited by Christopher Robin; 08-22-2016 at 08:23 PM.
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You're referring to the aluminum G1 dropouts on the 2014, vs the all one-piece rear end of the 2015+?

Yeah I heard the G1 rear end wasn't as stiff but I don't notice huge issues since I have stiff wheels.

Latest updates: Push'd DHX with MX tune, and plastic wheels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb13855970.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	385.2 KB 
ID:	1089624
    Christopher,

What carbon wheelset and size schawlbe tires are you running (internal width on the rims)? I have the 2014 build with Novatec Diablos and want to try something new.
    Last edited by Bullit21; 08-23-2016 at 10:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I went Nobl wheels out of Canada, with Hope hubs. They're 33mm wide outer and 27mm inner. I'm running a Schwalbe Magic Mary in front and a Hans Dampf, both in 2.35 (they're full size). After talking to Dustin over at Nobl, we decided the 33mm ones were best for my application, which is having to ride uphill techy areas while still being able to ride down hard, and giving an optimal tire profile. They're strong and stiff. I found the bike whips around corners better as the wheels obviously don't flex anywhere near as much as my old aluminum wheels. I could have gone with the wider ones but these were slightly lighter.

2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I went Nobl wheels out of Canada, with Hope hubs. They're 33mm wide outer and 27mm inner. I'm running a Schwalbe Magic Mary in front and a Hans Dampf, both in 2.35 (they're full size). After talking to Dustin over at Nobl, we decided the 33mm ones were best for my application, which is having to ride uphill techy areas while still being able to ride down hard, and giving an optimal tire profile. They're strong and stiff. I found the bike whips around corners better as the wheels obviously don't flex anywhere near as much as my old aluminum wheels. I could have gone with the wider ones but these were slightly lighter.

Thanks for the help Christopher. These look perfect for me and the price is pretty amazing for what you get.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yup. They were great to deal with. Might be a nice upgrade for the ol DH bike next year.

2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    @thecanary How's your Fox Float X2 rear shock holding up? I'm thinking of upgrading my rear shock on my Carbine 29. What are the differences you noticed between the X2 and your previous rear shock?

SISSIF
    The best air shock I've found so far. Turned the C29 into a freakin' hover bike. More supple off the top better mid support and closest to bottomless I had on that bike.
    Ran a bunch of shocks on this bike for various setups from XC to Park. The X2 is a great all-rounder but the best on the big end. Ran compression fairly open and added some volume spacers for the best tune.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'm about to order a Carbine29C. I'm almost 6'3" (190cm) and I'm still in doubt about the sizing. I'm not able to try the bike on for hand. I checked out a Tracer275C in Large, but that is definitely too small. So the XL it is?

Quote Originally Posted by chute6 View Post
    I'm surprised at all the different sizes we've all picked. Im6'3" with long arms and legs so went for an XL with a 35mm stem. Still feels long but good put some 35mm diameter Raceface sixc 800mm bars on her to get the control feeling over the 29" hoops.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I would contact Intense directly and get their opinion. While I'm a large in 26" and 27.5", I was told to go medium with the C29. I'm 5'10.5, long limbs and shorter torso. I'm sure a large would fit me but the medium with a 55mm stem is pretty good.
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    CCDB is way too expensive to own. Guys are ditching this shock cheap, because of that thin, urethane cap that keeps blowing up, cavitating the shock. Get Monarch RT3 Debonair, Manitou McLeod, Float X2 or DPS EVOL for that reliable, bottomless Magic Carpet ride, guys....
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne_Pepa View Post
    CCDB is way too expensive to own. Guys are ditching this shock cheap, because of that thin, urethane cap that keeps blowing up, cavitating the shock. Get Monarch RT3 Debonair, Manitou McLeod, Float X2 or DPS EVOL for that reliable, bottomless Magic Carpet ride, guys....
    You mean the Inline right?

2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Yes, Inline.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hi, does anyone tried this: db coil il
    Planning to replace my debon air+(originaly supplied with my bike) with something better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Can't comment on the DB coil, but many people run coil shocks on their Carbines.
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    OK will try to get one thru local supplier, hope it doesntt have so much problems as inline.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Watch the clearance to the frame at top pivot

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Anyone running a Minion 2.3 EXO in the front and a High Roller II 2.3 EXO in the rear and if so, how do you like the combo? I am currently running the stock High Rollers on both ends and they are worn down so need replacing and thinking about grabbing more grip up front while still having lower rolling resistance in the rear for climbing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I put a Minion DHR II as a lark on th front and wow, it has been great. A little wider than the high Roller and I have been very happy with that choice.

It is the same weight as the high Roller as well

mtbr member
    I had Ardent 2.4 and 2.25 rear for a while. Fast rolling. Broke a lot of my PRs.

Then switch running 2.5 DHF up front, and 2.4 Ardent in the rear. Plenty of grip on the front. Not feeling much weight gain. Thinking of switching rear tire, but can't decide DHF 2.5, or DHR II 2.3, or Highroller II 2.3

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I called Maxxis and they thought Minion on the front and Aggressor in the rear would be a great all around combo for my dry and loose Socal conditions.

mtbr member
    Anyone running any sort of frame bag within the main triangle on a Carbine 29? My XL actually has a lot of space in there. I was wondering if Salsa/Revelate's bags would fit in there, or if there are any other off the shelf solutions that work well in XL VPP bikes. Ideally I'd love something that left room for the water bottle. I still think I could fit in a spare tube and some tools in the space forward of that.

What I'm doing right now:

That isn't ideal because (a) the weight is higher and (b) it takes away from your standover clearance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I just received one from Alpine Threadworks Ltd. they make them customly for each frame. I haven't put it on yet, but I know a few people who have them on other bikes and have said they're awesome and hold everything you need.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Anyone have a large front end of a C29 or full frame they want to get rid of? I'm looking to compare it to my medium.

2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Anyone have a large front end of a C29 or full frame they want to get rid of? I'm looking to compare it to my medium.

Christopher - I might have a good lead for you on a large front triangle. I will shoot you a pm with my contact info if you want to give me a call.

Just bought a used DB Air CS to try vs the Monarch Plus that I have on the bike right now. Still waiting on the correct shock hardware so I haven't been able to mount yet.

Also picked up a set of used Roval Traverse Fattie SL carbon wheels and am running a Minion DHF on the front and an Agressor on the rear. Vs my old Novatec Diablos, this new setup is making me feel like I have an entirely new bike. Traction is insane and the wheels are burly but light. Can't recommend them enough.

AKA Mr.Habanero
    I would contact Intense directly and get t0heir opinion. While I'm a large in 26" and 27.5", I was told to go medium with the C29. I'm 5'10.5, long limbs and shorter torso. I'm sure a large would fit me but the medium with a 55mm stem is pretty good.
    Did you get that size? Im 510 with shorterish legs, 30-31 inseam and I have a large and wouldn't go a medium.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Keeping this thread alive. Don't need the Primer...
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by panzer103 View Post
    Did you get that size? Im 510 with shorterish legs, 30-31 inseam and I have a large and wouldn't go a medium.
    Yeah I did get a medium. It still fits well with a 60-70mm stem, only because of that slack seat tube angle.
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    The Carbine 29 is a vastly better bike than I am a mountain biker. I have a feeling I'll be growing into it for years.

I've owned mine for a full season now and put about 700 miles on it. I'm wondering what sorts of maintenance I should do now. For example, I've never done anything with the linkages... should I do that now? Can someone point me towards a greasegun kit that will work with them? I'm always confused by those.

What else do I need to do? It is hard to know what recommended maintenance is needed and what is overkill. I stay on top of bleeding my brakes and checking my chain, but I have never done anything with the suspension, wheels, or linkages.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Need some help if there is any ready solution for lower link dirt protection?
    Found only tire flap solution used by SC crowd.
    WHY intense does not made anything for they own frames, a they lazy or just retard. Other way perfect frame but this dirt collector is pissing mi out.
    Also need advice for spare part; need a rubber bumper for lower link, my is fouling a part, where I can find one or two.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Maybe it's a bad place to post this, but if anyone needs a used 2014/2015 Medium Frame (2014 front, 2015 newer rear end) with some wear and tear, I have one SUPER CHEAP. Comes with a 160mm Pike with some scratches on the stanchions. I'm thinking like "buy the fork, get the frame free" sort of price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Maybe it's a bad place to post this, but if anyone needs a used 2014/2015 Frame (2014 front, 2015 newer rear end) with some wear and tear, I have one SUPER CHEAP. Comes with a 160mm Pike with some scratches on the stanchions. I'm thinking like "buy the fork, get the frame free" sort of price.
    You're going to need to post the size and some pictures if you want to sell it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast