mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Carbine 29 to 27.5+

Finally converted the Carbine 29 to 27.5+. 2.8 Trailblazer in the rear, 3.0 Nobby Nic in front. Can't wait to try her out, Colorado weather just sucks right now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbine 29 to 27.5+-dsc02106-01.jpg  

Carbine 29 to 27.5+-dsc02124-01.jpg  

Carbine 29 to 27.5+-dsc02120-01.jpg  

Carbine 29 to 27.5+-dsc02121-01.jpeg  

Carbine 29 to 27.5+-dsc02128-01.jpeg  

Carbine 29 to 27.5+-dsc02108-01.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks awesome! I'm in Colorado too, and have a Carbine 29. If I run into you on a trail I may quiz you for a while. Is that a stock fork or did you swap it?
    The Earth Remains - Trip Reports and Adventure Photography

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks man. That is still the stock fork. Just painted the RS lettering in orange to match the accents. Yeah, maybe we can run into each other sometimes. Can't wait to try this B+ set up on this bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    Looks awesome! I'm in Colorado too, and have a Carbine 29. If I run into you on a trail I may quiz you for a while. Is that a stock fork or did you swap it?

mtbr member
    How is clearance? Could you go bigger tires?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    How is clearance? Could you go bigger tires?
    The 2.8 TB is a perfect fit in the rear. The 3.0 NN has at least 5mm clearance between side of the fork. We'll see, haven't tried it yet in the wild. If it rubs in the fork, 2.8 NN should be ok.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    BB bracket didn't get compromised that much. It lowered like around 0.5 inch. 13.25" is still fairly high.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The bike looks great! What rims are you using?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kongg View Post
    The bike looks great! What rims are you using?
    Thanks. Got some cheap generic carbon rims from China. External width is 40mm, internal is 35mm. Went riding for the first time yesterday with this set up. This is a total different animal! Looks like I'll never put back my 29 wheels for the mean time No rubs on the front wheel, 5 to 7mm clearance on both sides of the fork. But I bet, riding on a muddy trail will be a problem. 2.8 Trailblazer rear wheel is a perfect fit for the carbine stays.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    From yeterday's ride.........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbine 29 to 27.5+-20160503_164611-01-01_resized.jpg  

Carbine 29 to 27.5+-20160503_165342-01-01_resized.jpg  

Carbine 29 to 27.5+-20160503_164952-01_resized.jpg  

Carbine 29 to 27.5+-20160503_164705-01-01_resized.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Saweet! I have the same bike. Good to know i have that option!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jpickus View Post
    Saweet! I have the same bike. Good to know i have that option!

After my ride yesterday with this set up, my 29 wheels will be out of commission for a while. Man, this is a totally different machine! Handling is superb, uphill, downhill, point it and it shoots! Totally awesome! Go do it man!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just bought new enve m60s so its not in the cards. Im more of a cross country rider anyway though so 29 inch wheels with 2.2 tires is ideal for me. Not to say that im not pinning it on the downhill too.

mtbr member
    Looks sweet! Would you know if the Carbine has more room than the spider 29 comp? I'd like to try the same with my spider...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by biketavioumaximus View Post
    Looks sweet! Would you know if the Carbine has more room than the spider 29 comp? I'd like to try the same with my spider...
    Thanks. I think it'll fit on the Spider. As long as you use the 2.8 Trailblazer in the rear. I used a 3.0 Nobby Nic in front on a Pike fork.

mtbr member
    Would you mind taking a picture of the rear triangle so that we can see how much clearance you have between the tire and the seat/chain stays? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Dog View Post
    Would you mind taking a picture of the rear triangle so that we can see how much clearance you have between the tire and the seat/chain stays? Thanks.
    Here's a shot of the gap between the front wheel, 3.0 Nobby Nic and the fork leg, as well as the rear, 2.8 Trailblazer and the chainstays.
    Went riding this Saturday on a muddy trail, got surprised that this bike set up handle it pretty well on that condition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbine 29 to 27.5+-20160508_100031-01.jpg  

Carbine 29 to 27.5+-20160508_100056-01.jpg  

mtbr member
    Excellent. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Hmmm, the chain stays appear to be much wider than my Spider Comp. Any chance you can measure them internally??? My comp measure 75mm internal width of chain stays.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by biketavioumaximus View Post
    Hmmm, the chain stays appear to be much wider than my Spider Comp. Any chance you can measure them internally??? My comp measure 75mm internal width of chain stays.
    It's 75mm as well on the Carbine. The 2.8 Trailblazer fits perfectly, the 2.8 on the Schwalbes will not.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Have you tried a WTB Trail boss 27.5x3 up front? I was wondering how it compares to the 3.0 nobby nic

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Have you tried a WTB Trail boss 27.5x3 up front? I was wondering how it compares to the 3.0 nobby nic

Haven't tried it with the WTB 3.0. I have an extra 2.8 Rocket Ron that was supposed to be originally in the rear, but would not fit. Thinking of using it in the front, replacing the NN.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Have you not been happy with the Nobby nic?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The 3.0 NN has only about 5mm clearance on both sides of the fork. No rubbing yet but overtime the tires expands. Love the NN, but maybe the 2.8 will give more clearance in the front.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Have you not been happy with the Nobby nic?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Plush Forward View Post
    The 3.0 NN has only about 5mm clearance on both sides of the fork. No rubbing yet but overtime the tires expands. Love the NN, but maybe the 2.8 will give more clearance in the front.
    Plush, keep the tips coming. Really bored with my carbine, 40mm chinese wheels on order now. You really made this plug and play for me, thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    Plush, keep the tips coming. Really bored with my carbine, 40mm chinese wheels on order now. You really made this plug and play for me, thanks.
    Thanks Ratt! 2 friends of mine saw this wheelset set up, one has a SB95, the other a Tallboy, let them tried it for a bit on the trail. They're on their way going B+ now as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Btw, this is where I got the wheelsets. They have free decals too.
    MTB Bike 100 Carbon Wheelset 27 5ER 30mm Depth 40mm Width Mountain Bike Wheels | eBay

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Plush Forward, any chance you can pop the rear wheel off and measure the width inside the stays for us all? I'd be interested to see if the Carbine rear is any wider than the Spider rear and would allow for a wider tire.

I popped a 27.5" wheel with a Panaracer Fat B Nimble 27.5 x 3.5" on the Spider and it fits but there really isn't enough clearance for real-world riding.

Part of me is begging you not to measure because I need another bike like I need a hole in the head but.... :-)
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Will do Tom. I'll measure it again when I get home. Initially I have a 2.8 Rocket Ron in the rear, but it was way too close on the chainstays. Got the 2.8 Trailblazer instead and tons of clearance on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thank you. I have to say, that looks like a super fun setup...
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm telling you, lots of them are saying the Plus setup are for noobs, but man, when you try it, it's a whole different machine. I'm a lot more faster going uphills and downhills ofcourse on the Plus compared to the original 29er on this bike. Totally awesome

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Anyone who's tried a fatbike knows what an abundance of traction can mean to the fun factor, and I think this is kind of a bridge in between fat and "normal" AM/XC.

Full suspension, advanced geometry, quality builds and tires that open up new doors in the most techy situations.

Looks fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TomFL View Post
    Anyone who's tried a fatbike knows what an abundance of traction can mean to the fun factor, and I think this is kind of a bridge in between fat and "normal" AM/XC.

Full suspension, advanced geometry, quality builds and tires that open up new doors in the most techy situations.

Looks fun!
    We'll said TomFL. Measured the inside width again, it is 75mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Plush,

What do you think of the new setup? Big change from 29er? Worth it?

I have the same Carbine and I want to get the exact setup you have cause it looks sweet:

What decals did you ask for?
    What weave for the carbon?
    Is your rear hub XD?

I need XD and I am not sure your supplier can do that. He responded to my question on ebay something like "Friend, sure xd no problem thank you" but I dont know if he really understands or delivers the wheels set up that way.

Ken

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendoc View Post
    Plush,

What do you think of the new setup? Big change from 29er? Worth it?

I have the same Carbine and I want to get the exact setup you have cause it looks sweet:

What decals did you ask for?
    What weave for the carbon?
    Is your rear hub XD?

I need XD and I am not sure your supplier can do that. He responded to my question on ebay something like "Friend, sure xd no problem thank you" but I dont know if he really understands or delivers the wheels set up that way.

Ken
    Hi Ken. Like what I've said, it'll be more plush, faster, grips better, than your current 29er wheelset. You will like it.

The e*13 decals without the word 13 is what I told them to put. You can even customized it with your name or something if you want. And it is in the rims so it will never peel off. I did ask for the matte finish in SRAM XD.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I pretty much cloned Plush's bike
    Carbine 29 to 27.5+-img_0132.jpg
    I'm back on 29" wheels but that is mostly due to the Trailblazers. There is a ton of potential here with better tires but the Trailblazers have no sidewall support and squirm like crazy in the turns. Pump them up and they bounce like crazy through the turns. Also they don't have much more climbing grip than 2.3 HR2s on wide rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    HI, gays planning to convert own 29 carbine to 27.5+.
    Planning to use LB asymmetric rims EN733 asymmetric rim profile carbon 27.5 inch carbon rims mtb Light-Bicycle

However, not impressed how trailblazers works in wet conditions.
    Anyone used Maxxis recon+ does it fit in rear??

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Plush Forward View Post
    We'll said TomFL. Measured the inside width again, it is 75mm.
    Plush, just got around to measuring the inside of the stays on my Spider 29C frame. Chainstays are 74mm, and the seatstays are 83mm.

Basically the same... which has me wondering....