mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Carbine 275 torque specs linkage points?

Within 3 rides my upper pivot points have come loose and the lowers were not really snug either.
    Does anyone have the correct torque specs? Wanted to tighten them with right torque and some thread lock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hooo one of the holly graal questions.
    Intense Spider Comp 29 Stuck Suspension bolt?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    So uppers 20 Nm for the rear rocker, but what about the two upper bolts that attach to the shock mount bracket? Are they 20 Nm as well? (so both marked in red at 20 Nm?)

And of course what about the lowers? Is there a manual with all the torque specs somewhere? Didn't get it with the fram. The upper ones that mount to the shock bracket are only tightened to around 8-10 Nm which seems very low?

Carbine 275 torque specs linkage points?-bolts.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I found the exploded view sheet on the website. Godd stuff! Allthough one thing which doesn't make sense in my head is the upper axle pivot (9) which should be tightened to 14 Nm whereas number (7) bolt which goes into the other side should be tightened to 20 Nm? If I tighten bolt (9) it spins unless I hold against bolt (7) on the other side. So if (7) that goes into (9) is tightened to 20 Nm how can (9) then be 14 Nm?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What explode view ???? can you share the link please i am in the same situation .

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just go to the website, then select product--> Carbine.
    Then the first couple of buttons are about the builds, then next to last one says "Tech Info"
    Click it and it opens an exploded view picture which scales according to your screen so right click and download picture to view and zoom .etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thank you a lot tr1cky_k1d. by the request made on this forum a lot of user are looking for thoses specs. Since a lot of intense seems to have missbuilding cause by bad use of locktite (so they say).
    Hum.. the only thing i cant see but i am not sure. It's that it says carbon on line 9 and the tracer is aloy built, so maybe it's a torque spec for carbon frame...???? but line 7 state the carbine with 175 lbs. Someone else maybe.

MTBR Member
    For the upper link - upper bolts are 125in/lbs, lower bolts are 175in/lbs.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So it is, but that dont explain the difference bertween the two sides.

MTBR Member
    Maybe you should ask Intense directly. They can be reached via phone or email.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sorry we hijack your thread tr1cky_k1d. Ill keep you post with what is coming.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ncfisherman:

The question was sent to Intense, but no answer.

Nevertheless I torqued the upper and lower bolts to spec. It held up during a 3 hr ride yesterday, but now the linkage is creaking when standing up and hammering the pedals. While seated there is no noise but when standing up and pushing hard it creaks awfully

I asked Sam (Intense customer service) to try and reply here as well so that everyone can benefit from the information. If I hear anything else I will post here as well.

cadoretteboat: No worries, I think we all want the same info

WheelBanger
    Jun 2010
    I don't know if you ever found the proper torque specs, but this is what I received from Sam at Intense.

For torque settings (see exploded view file)- on your lower linkage the main pivot expander bolt (8mm allen key) will need 60 in/lb. Make sure to grease the threads before installation. You then grease and insert the expander cap and steel bolt (5mm) and tighten that down to 125 in/lb. On the upper linkage, torque the upper two bolts to 125 in/lb and the lower two shoulder bolts to 175 in/lb. Make sure you use only grease on the lower linkage assembly, and use loctite (we use #243) on the threads for the upper linkage bolts. Shock mount bolts require about 60-70 in/lb, as well as your G1 dropout bolts. On your seat collar, stay between 40-60 in/lb but stick to the low end of that as long as your post does not slip. Refer to torque settings displayed on your brakes/brake adapters for those values.

This states areas to grease vs Loctite. Although I have found that a small film of grease can do wonders to eliminate mystery creaks. So any place you have metal on metal is potential for creaking, such as the heads of bolts on upper link. I very ligthly grease the inward side of the head that will be tightening against the linkage. Again this is just a thin film of grease, barely visible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The main pivot bolts are working in a compound way - they need to hold the linkage together while also acting as a pivot point. I took mine out one at a time, cleaned the bolts, receiving threads (used loctite can cause a bolt to jam and gall threads) , and bearing surfaces as well as possible. With a Q-Tip put a good quality waterproof grease on the bearing surfaces and a few drops of blue loctite on the threads. Snug to spec.