mtbr member

Carbine 275 - rear shock setting

What sag do you guys set yours at? 25% or 30% Also, switching between rear wheel travel from 5.5 to 6.0, do you still need to make changes? Thank you.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Mid Drive is the future of e-cargo bikes.

I fix your broken ****!
    I prefer to run my Carbine 275 in the 6" travel setting at 28-30% sag for pretty aggressive all mountain style riding. When changing between the travel settings you'll need to adjust air pressure in the shock to reset the sag. There is more leverage on the shock in the long travel setting, so you'll need more air pressure there than in the shorter travel setting.
    Sam Wilson
    Jack of All Trades
    Intense Cycles, Inc.
    Sam@Intensecycles.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    To confirm - the lower rear shock mount is for the longer travel option, correct?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
    To confirm - the lower rear shock mount is for the longer travel option, correct?
    Upper is longer travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Upper is longer travel.
    I am also of the same impression with pigdog that the lower rear shock mount is for longer travel. Can there be some further confirmation?

I fix your broken ****!
    Quote Originally Posted by kongg View Post
    I am also of the same impression with pigdog that the lower rear shock mount is for longer travel. Can there be some further confirmation?
    The upper hole is longer travel
    Sam Wilson
    Jack of All Trades
    Intense Cycles, Inc.
    Sam@Intensecycles.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-IntenseCustServ View Post
    The upper hole is longer travel
    Sam, thanks for the confirmation!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    check, confirmed. thanks much.

mtbr member

Re: Carbine 275 - rear shock setting

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-IntenseCustServ View Post
    I prefer to run my Carbine 275 in the 6" travel setting at 28-30% sag for pretty aggressive all mountain style riding. When changing between the travel settings you'll need to adjust air pressure in the shock to reset the sag. There is more leverage on the shock in the long travel setting, so you'll need more air pressure there than in the shorter travel setting.
    Thanks Sam. Btw, for xc trail riding, is 25% sag still ok and travel set to 5.5? Is there much of a difference interms of efficiency when climbing when set at 25% sag @ 5.5" travel vs. 28-30% @ 6" travel setting? Thanks again.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy Joe View Post
    Thanks Sam. Btw, for xc trail riding, is 25% sag still ok and travel set to 5.5? Is there much of a difference interms of efficiency when climbing when set at 25% sag @ 5.5" travel vs. 28-30% @ 6" travel setting? Thanks again.

Sag, and all suspension settings really, vary a great deal from person to person, trail to trail, riding style to riding style, etc. There's an infinite number of variables, and no one likes their bike set up exactly the same as someone else does. You just have to experiment and find out what works for you. That's part of the fun of mtn biking!

The difference in climbing efficiency at the two settings you mentioned will be negligible. It's a 6" bike that climbs good. If you want to start splitting hairs on climbing efficiency get an XC bike!

mtbr member

Re: Carbine 275 - rear shock setting

Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    Sag, and all suspension settings really, vary a great deal from person to person, trail to trail, riding style to riding style, etc. There's an infinite number of variables, and no one likes their bike set up exactly the same as someone else does. You just have to experiment and find out what works for you. That's part of the fun of mtn biking!

The difference in climbing efficiency at the two settings you mentioned will be negligible. It's a 6" bike that climbs good. If you want to start splitting hairs on climbing efficiency get an XC bike!
    Thanks for the input. XC bike is out of the question I am enjoying my Carbine a lot and Im gettin close to my ideal set up. Probably a couple more outings and I'll be good.Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    let us know what your ideal set up is

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    let us know what your ideal set up is
    So far, after a couple of rides, I am liking my current setting on the rear shock. I still kept the 6" travel setting but adjusted my sag to 25%, I was initially running a 30% sag and when doing steep climbs, it would be just not to my liking how the rear suspension reacts even though Im on the climb setting on the fox shock. A small change in the sag made a lot of difference. I can climb the steeper stuff with just the shock on trail mode. I pretty much leave it on trail even going downhill. I like it and it's very fun to ride. Also, I came from an XC 29er 4" travel bike, so it took me awhile to adjust. The Carbine does everything for me now, and Im very satisfied, so I sold my XC bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    did you try the lower travel setting at 25% sag out of curiousity? I wonder how much difference the two travel settings make on the Carbine's climbing ability

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm curious to see if there is a noticeable difference in hi speed stability vs. tight turns between the travel settings with slight diff in HA.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ashaw View Post
    I'm curious to see if there is a noticeable difference in hi speed stability vs. tight turns between the travel settings with slight diff in HA.
    There is no change in geometry between the two shock settings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Seems to be a huge difference in handling between the two settings to me. I needed about 20psi more when changed to long travel. (Around 25% to 30% sag) and I also drop the fork about 10 psi from my normal XCish AM setting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I recently switched to the upper hole (150mm setting) and I think its def an improvement. had to add some psi to the monarch plus but it feels great!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    There is no change in geometry between the two shock settings.
    Hmmmm, interesting. Not sure how there couldn't be a difference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    How much sag are you guys running in your Fork?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have the Foundation build with the xfusion sweep. So far I love the suspension setup, but the fork seems so plush I've gradually decreased sag (increased air obviously) and currently liking the 21% I'm at now. Started around 30% and worked from there which was less air than the rider wt. chart listed.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    How the heck are you guys measuring sag down to the single percent?

For one, you'd have to be measuring hundredths of an inch of travel, which is thousandths of an inch in shock stroke.

For two, if you change your body position even slightly, your measured sag is going to change by a few percent. No way you're in the EXACT same position every time you check it.

21%, even 25% vs 28-30%, I don't buy it!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Easy. mm