mtbr member
    Apr 2004

carbine 275 geo w/ 140mm fork?

OK,
    I am thinking of going to to the carbine 275 for next year,
    but the high BB seems it could be bothersome.

I rode the tracer 275 at moab, and loved it, but it has different geo then carbine 275.

I also rode the spider comp 29 and loved it, but was bothered by the internal cable routing (I could hear it clicking in the tube and hate noise).

I didn't get on the carbine 275, as it was out anytime I was looking.
    Looks like 13.7 number is w/ 150 fork, so just wondering if the 140 gets it to more standard height (I'm used to a lower bb, like 13.3)

and,
    I think a 27.5 could be great, based on loving the 275 tracer, but for an old xc guy, it' s a bit overkill and more down oriented.

so,
    looking to see if anyone know what the BB and angles end up at w/ a 140mm fork.

thx!
    Holiday
    Last edited by holiday; 02-03-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: ride history

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    nothing?
    speculation?

seems a 10mm shorter fork may drop it by .3 to .4, bringing it in line w/ what I'm used to. any help?

also,
    anyone know if hte green one is still avail?
    after years of black bikes, I'm thinking bright! flow green w/ blue ano project 321 wheels.

thx,
    holiday

Dude, got any schwag?
    If you drop the HT by 10mm, it stands to reason that the BB drops about half of that. 5mm equals about 2/10s of an inch. So the Carbine 27.5 theoretically would have a 13.5" BB with a 140mm fork.

Edit; Whoa major typo there. 26.8" really? WTF? (where's the food)
    Last edited by TheSchwagman; 02-06-2013 at 01:12 PM.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thx,
    found it on fanatix bikes.

140 fork is a 13.5in BB and 68degree head angle.

cheers,
    holiday

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm running a white bros loop at 140mm and I've had measurements that match fanatiks. Keep in mind that fox forks are 11mm longer than the loop, so this will raise the bb and slack the ha

Quote Originally Posted by holiday View Post
    thx,
    found it on fanatix bikes.

140 fork is a 13.5in BB and 68degree head angle.

cheers,
    holiday

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thx,
    atlas, how do you like the loop. good clean looking fork. is it stiff enough in hte 32mm stanchions and 140? work well for you?
    i like that it is shorter A to C.
    thx,
    holiday

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I like it. I weigh 200lbs and have been impressed with the stiffness and overall suspension action. Like you said it's just a nice clean fork with nothing too fancy about it. The Aura damper is kind of silly, so if you're a guy that is big on lockout features you might have issues with it. You can pick one up way cheaper than a fox on ebay or cycleclubsports.com. I'll be riding mine for a while, or until the fox float 140 comes out next year and the numbers make sense. Below is a pic of mine in 150mm mode before I changed it.
    carbine 275 geo w/ 140mm fork?-securedownload.jpeg

thx,
    atlas, how do you like the loop. good clean looking fork. is it stiff enough in hte 32mm stanchions and 140? work well for you?
    i like that it is shorter A to C.
    thx,
    holiday

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thx,
    looks good.
    I weigh 170 and am a finesse rider, so if you think it's stiff enough, it should work for me.
    I don't need no stinkin lockout either.
    How you liking the bike?
    thx,
    Holiday

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I love it. If you like VPP and arent a 29er fan I doubt you'll find a better performing bike on the market right now for trail/aggressive xc use. It rides like a 26 but with a sweeter/enhanced ride quality in all aspects. I cycled through about 6 high end bikes before seeing the carbine 275 prototype at sea otter. Just looked perfect. Hasn't disappointed. My only gripe was that the head angle was a little too slack for my liking, I could feel it during uphill switchback sections. once I went to 140mm it was a perfect setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I definitely like VPP.

after riding lots of bikes, and getting on 15 at outterbike, my top 5 were all VPP bikes by different companies:
    intense (spider comp, tracer 275, tracer 29, yeti sb95, santa cruz tallboy ltc.
    Interesting differences I felt, I thought the intense version is softest of the top, while the santa cruz is stiffest off the top and raciest feeling of the vpp's. VPP was my fav and intense was my fav of the VPP bikes.

I wish I would have gotten on the carbine, but it wasn't in, and wasn't really on my radar, as I was looking at the 29ers more. that said, I did love the tracer 275, but thought both it and the tracer 29er were overbuilt for my 170lb 44yr old xc mentality.
    the spider comp is still a contender, but so is the carbine 275. I think running it 140 with a 1x10 setup could be a good set up for me. I can't quite push 1x10 on a 29er, but I rode it on my 26er for almost 10 years (1x8, then 1x9 hten 1x10, don't think I need 1x11 unless I stay 29er).

thx for the feedback.
    cheers,
    Holiday

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by atlas4gr View Post
    I'm running a white bros loop at 140mm and I've had measurements that match fanatiks. Keep in mind that fox forks are 11mm longer than the loop, so this will raise the bb and slack the ha
    You have that backwards if you're talking about the 26" Fox fork. Currently their 34mm 650B fork is a 160mm that some shorten to 150mm but I haven't seen it shortened to 140mm yet (the new 140mm 650 fork is not available yet). Fox 26" fork has a shorter A/C for a given travel than the Loop (I have a Loop on my Jamis Dakar). A 140mm Fox has a 511mm A/C and the 140mm Loop is 524mm. The Loop is also certified 650B and can handle the tallest 650B tires available (Schwalbe NN 2.35"). The Fox can be used with plenty of 650B tires but not the tallest as it would hit the bottom of the crown at full bottom out. A 5mm internal spacer would rectify that problem and even the tall Schwalbe clears the arch of the 26" Fox by 3mm (I also have 2 140mm Fox forks I use 650B tires in so I tested for clearance). The Loop also has a greater offset than the Fox, 45mm vs. 39mm. I can highly recommend the Loop but if you're really concerned about the BB height stick with the 26" Fox fork and you can still use most 650B tires and all of them if you use the internal spacer.

EDIT...looking at the Fanatic site their Carbine 275 geo specs are clearly done with a non 650B fork so take that FWIW. Really want to shorten the stack height you can use a straight steerer tube fork and a zero stack lower cup. Knocks off approx. another 10mm of height.
    Last edited by skidad; 02-20-2013 at 07:45 AM.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    OK,
    you've got me confused now skidad (same skidad who skis at alpine? we need to ski/ride together some time)

you say 26 fox, but then say 650b fox fork.

If I put on the 650b fox at 150mm, do you know what the AtoC is compared to loop?

Thx!
    Holiday

mtbr member
    May 2005
    OK,
    you've got me confused now skidad (same skidad who skis at alpine? we need to ski/ride together some time)

you say 26 fox, but then say 650b fox fork.

If I put on the 650b fox at 150mm, do you know what the AtoC is compared to loop?

Thx!
    Holiday
    Different Skidad I think but thanks for the offer

Now, the 34mm 650B Fox fork set at 150 has an A/C height of 544.4mm 2013 Product Specifications and the Loop will have an A/C height of 534mm. So 10mm less for the Loop fork. These are both true 650B forks with adjusted offset. The Loop is also available with a straight steerer tube if you want that.

If you want an even lower A/C (and lower BB height) you can use the 26" versions of the Fox in either the 32mm or 34mm sizes. Offset is not optimized for 650B but you may not even notice that and the tallest tires may require a spacer to prevent bottoming out on the underside of the crown. At least for the 32 stanchion version. Not sure about the 34 which has a taller A/C than the 32 by an additional 7mm. I would like to know how 650 tires fit clearance wise in the 26" 34mm fork, especially the bottom of the crown. Haven't seen that info yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hey Holiday, i have two demo bikes...2013 intense carbine 27.5 at my work you can check out...let me know.
    Curtis

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Intense Carbine 27.5 large 160mm talas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carbine 275 geo w/ 140mm fork?-black-rock-bicycles-carbine-27.5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hi Curtis,
    I'd love to demo one.
    you are at black rock bikes, reno? where is that located? hours?

thx,
    Holiday

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yes, I can take you out for a ride on some local trails. If it was more into spring or summer we could do a quick shuttle but some climbing singletrack will be good now. Yes. North Reno, NV.
    Tues-sat 11-5 winter hrs 775-972-3336.curtis

jddist
    May 2008
    I would definitely demo one before pulling the trigger because the carbine and Tracer 275 are completely different riding bikes and since you really liked the Tracer there is a chance you will not like the carbine. I demoed the tracer 275 about 6 months ago and loved it. Then immediately took out the carbine and hated it. Then after talking to the guys at the shop that hosted the demo, they ALL said the exact same thing. Loved the Tracer and hated the Carbine. It amazes me how 2 bikes can look almost identical in the specs but ride completely different. The carbine in NOT simply a carbon Tracer. Just my take on it.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet View Post
    The carbine in NOT simply a carbon Tracer. Just my take on it.
    I respectfully disagree. I have a TracerVP, have ridden the Carbine as a 26" and as a 27.5", and can only describe the carbine as a 2lb lighter, 100% stiffer Tracer. I pulled the trigger on the Carbine last week. Will be building over my 26" crap until I get a 27.5" fork. Really liking the new Fox (32) 27.5" fork. Willing to be patient to save that kind of weight.
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

jddist
    May 2008
    That is real interesting, especially since all 5 guys that work at the shop that had the demo, 2 other guys that rode the 2 back to back at the demo, and myself all had the exact same experience/impression. We all thought that the linkage leverage ratio must be completely different or something because the two suspensions rode completely different. The carbine was not in the same ball park as the tracer. It felt like it was a 3in bike, where the tracer felt like a real nice and plush 6in ride. It was funny because we all mentioned how we kept pulling off the trail to let more air of the the rear shock and that didn't even help. I guess to each is own.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet View Post
    That is real interesting, especially since all 5 guys that work at the shop that had the demo, 2 other guys that rode the 2 back to back at the demo, and myself all had the exact same experience/impression. We all thought that the linkage leverage ratio must be completely different or something because the two suspensions rode completely different. The carbine was not in the same ball park as the tracer. It felt like it was a 3in bike, where the tracer felt like a real nice and plush 6in ride. It was funny because we all mentioned how we kept pulling off the trail to let more air of the the rear shock and that didn't even help. I guess to each is own.
    I have not ridden the Tracer27.5, so you have something on me. Still, I rode the Carbine at InterBilk, down Girl Scout or West Leg (CRS), which are both pretty gnarly at speed, and the Carbine ate it up. I didn't even register the suspension at all, but what I did take note of was how laterally stiff that MoFo was! And how light. As you said, to each his own. I will own a Carbine very soon. ;o)
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiso View Post
    Yes, I can take you out for a ride on some local trails. If it was more into spring or summer we could do a quick shuttle but some climbing singletrack will be good now. Yes. North Reno, NV.
    Tues-sat 11-5 winter hrs 775-972-3336.curtis
    Thx!

by the way, this bike shop steps up and with knowlege, availablility and service.
    over and above. Curtis set up the bikes, and even shuttled me for more vert.

carbine was great, even w/ 160.
    still wondering if it's too much for an old xc guy, but w/ a 140 and set up light, I think it could be the fix.

thx Black Rock Bikes!

Cheers,
    Holiday

mtbr member
    May 2005
    carbine was great, even w/ 160.
    still wondering if it's too much for an old xc guy, but w/ a 140 and set up light, I think it could be the fix.
    I agree, setting it up 140 F/B might be a hoot and a serious trail scalpel. Trend seems to be longer and longer travel, slacker HA and that would kind of go against the grain. I think 140 is a great all around setting and like that you'd have a 68 degree HA on the Carbine 275. If I get the new Banshee Spitfire I might try that as well when just about everyone else is going 160 fork and 66 degree HA with it's adjustable geometry. At least in my terrain I think it would work wonderfully in 140/140 and a 67.5-68 HA.