mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Carbine 275 Flo Green

Finally got everything hung on my gorgeous Carbine 275 Flo Green frame...can't wait to ride it...

Here are the build specs:

Medium frame 5 lbs 11 oz
    Finished build 28 lbs 5 oz including pedals and 4 oz of Stan's
    Full XTR
    XTR 3X10 crank
    XTR 11X36 cassette
    XTR 10 spd chain
    XTR shifters
    XTR 3X FD
    XTR Shadow plus RD
    Shimano SP41 shift cable housing
    BB92 bottom bracket
    XTR Trail Brakes
    Icetech finned metal pads front and rear
    Icetech 180 front rotor
    Icetech 160 rear rotor
    Shimano 180 post adaptor on front
    Intense 160 adaptor on rear
    XTR Trail pedals
    LEV 150mm dropper post
    PRO Turnix saddle Ti rails
    XCR carbon bars
    XCR 80mm stem
    Cane Creek 110 headset ZS 44 upper EC 49 lower
    some left over carbon spacers
    ENVE AM Carbon wheels 27.5
    XTR hubs
    DT Aerolite spokes
    ENVE did the wheel build
    Hans Dampf 650B 2.35 Trailstar Snake Skin Tubeless tires
    lots of Stan's
    Fox 34 Float 650b fork built to 150mm travel
    Fox Float CTD shock with trail adjust
    Fox 15mm front axle
    DT Swiss 12mm rear axle

I'm looking forward to comparing this to my Superfly 29'r...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbine 275 Flo Green-carbine-275-final-build.jpg  

Last edited by Wheelman55; 12-02-2012 at 09:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Why not go 2x10 and save a few grams? The head set look great with the white and green. I can't say the same for the blue housing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Why not stay with my Superfly @ 25 lbs? That'd save 3 lbs

I ride some big uphills and need the 3x. Thought the blue looked good...black is boring...might do green if I get tired of the blue...it's only housing...

mtbr member
    That's a nice looking ride! Looks like you went all out on it. My compliments to you.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Beautiful bike! Congratulations!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Seems liked you skimped a bit on your build. Maybe you should try for some top shelf stuff next time.

JK, that is a sick ride. Enjoy it in good health.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Siiiick!!
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Makes me lust for a flo green Cabine!

Broken
    beautiful!

mtbr member
    very beautiful looking bike. i have to admit, the carbine 275 is the first intense i've lusted after in years. too bad i'm too broke to pick one up

Paper or plastic?
    How heavy are those tires? I was expecting a sub 28# based on the high end stuff you put on. Sweet ride.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Sick !!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ride report?
    what do you think?
    thx,
    holiday

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Here's a quick report...I got about a dozen rides in on the Carbine 27.5 over the holidays. Then had to leave the bike and go back to work up north. Won't be back riding the Carbine until end of March

Vs the Superfly 100...SF has 2.2 SZ Captain front and Hutch Toro 2.1 rear...running tubeless on last generation Shimano XT TL rims with Stan's. Carbine 27.5 has Hans Dampf 2.35's front and rear with lots of Stan's due to their humongous (relative to SF tires) volume.

So far I like the Carbine 27.5 overall and have a love/hate with the tires.

The Carbine 27.5 is more nimble on tight turns and nearly as fast as the Superfly 100 overall. The front end stays planted a bit better on the uphills than the SF.

The Carbine 27.5 just roars on the downhills, being both plush and rock solid...makes me grin and wanting to go way too fast

The SF 100 is fast on the downhills as well, however not as solid and confident.

Note that the different tires likely make up some of the difference.

The Hans Dampfs are incredible on the descent and in the soft, thick stuff. These tires have nearly endless hookup, even on loose off camber turns...once again making me grin and wanting to go way too fast

The only regret so far is when doing steeper, technical climbs. The Hans Damps are really heavy and it's taking me one or two more cogs to clear the climbs on the Carbine 27.5 vs Superfly 100. I was hoping for the opposite.

I've not measured the chain stay lengths, however where the SF rides fine when cross chained the Carbine 27.5 really doesn't like big/big or big/second to big. End result is that the two biggest cogs are not useable from the big ring. I'm riding an 11-36 cassette with a triple crank.

FWIW I had to do a fair amount of adjusting of the B screw to get the RD set up.

The HD's weigh around 800 grams, plus take a couple more ounces of Stan's than the tires on my SF 100 setup, which adds additional weight. I've got a post on another thread with the exact weights of the 4 HD's that I bought (where I winter ride I need my own spares...no 27.5 supplies for a long ways).

The HD's fill up the rear triangle of the Carbine 27.5 with maybe 2mm to spare. While this is fine for my winter riding in the desert, this big of a tire with it's minimal rear end clearance likely will be a challenge in the mud. I'll take a pic and measure once I get reunited with the Carbine.

The area where I ride in the winter is full of razor sharp rocks. The HD's w-Snake Skin were the best choice when I did the build. I eagerly await additional tire choices.

The German site is finally listing Nobby Nic's in 2.25 (not Snakeskin though) as well as RR's in 2.25...with no ship date yet, simply stating that they are on order.

I hope to have some NN's for my end of March reunion with the Carbine. I'm hoping that the NN's will help on the climbs and hold up on the sharp rocks. The RR's would likely shred in one or two rides.

I hear that Maxxis and Hutchinson will have some 27.5 offerings this year (hopefully).

I wasn't able to get any of my usual long steep fire road rides in over the holidays. They likely would have been less than enjoyable with the Hans Dampfs compared with the narrower tires on the Superfly 100.

That's it for a quick report. Hope this helps. More in April.
    Last edited by Wheelman55; 02-08-2013 at 11:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Re: the question on overall weight...I could have shaved off something like a pound to a pound and a half by using lighter tires and a carbon seat post. Ultralight was not my intent. If it was I would have built up a hard tail

mtbr member

Wink Awsome

Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    Seems liked you skimped a bit on your build. Maybe you should try for some top shelf stuff next time.

JK, that is a sick ride. Enjoy it in good health.
    Alomg the same lines.... I'd love to have such a shabby build.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Skool View Post
    Alomg the same lines.... I'd love to have such a shabby build.
    You sorta do. ;o)
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!