mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Carbine 275 enough bike for Whistler ??

Finally got my Carbine 275 built, photos to come, amazing bike so far. Newest version w ISCG tabs. 1st time trip to Whistler next month and wondering if I can get away with riding the new bike or should I leave it home and just rent a true DH bike?

To be fair, my attraction to that place is the uber downhill flow, and not the giant gap / cliff jumps or if you fall you die tech. I wont be seeking out stuff to stretch the limits of the bike, just the limits of my fun. Very experienced rider. Driving up there from Portland, OR; with my short vacation time available have no interest in the known killer trails outside the park - that will have to wait for another trip. 3 days in the park.

Anybody take their Carbine's up there and wish they had more bike? Money is an issue, would be nice to not spend $300 on a rental, not worried about the wear and tear on my Carbine, I put it together to ride. Input beyond "if you have to ask..." is appreciated, and if "rent a bike" is the answer any tips on best place to do so?

Thanks in advance ~

mtbr member
    I've ridden the bike park on smaller bikes (older spec enduro, kona process, even a steel ht, though I would never want to ride a hardtail other than for a laugh) it's fine if you are sticking to what you say with regards to just having fun, not pushing limits etc. Which is the attitude everyone should have, probably shouldn't come here and try to hit all the hardest stuff your first few days anyways.
    The advantage of a downhill bike is strength/durability and the ability to haul ass through rough stuff.
    You could always bring it and change your mind. I wouldn't leave it at home at all. The rentals are all roughly the same price, the lower end glorys from the garbo rental shop by the gondola are the cheapest I think. Pick your dream bike and rent it lol.

mtbr member
    Last year group of us went up to Whistler, six of us on DH/FR bikes, and two on 6" trail bikes. The guys on the trail bikes were very experienced riders and were able to ride a lot of stuff, but they got beat up a bit and stopped riding a little early. A proper DH bike is just easier to ride at speed and wont beat you up as bad.

One thing to think about is the flow trails are extremely fast, and one crash can do serious damage to your bike. LOTS of broken parts, and its really easy to scuff the hell out of your bike going down.

I personally would rent a DH bike. Your going to be able to ride longer, you have more room for error, and you wont put major wear on your new bike.

Taking your new bike to Whistler is like taking a new car to the race track. Sure you can run some laps, but it just isnt designed for that kind of abuse. Doing one 20 minute decent at the local trails is one thing, but doing 10-20 of them back to back is REALLY hard on equipment.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Kevin & Mr Lynch - thanks very much for the replies and info. Mr Lynch your thoughts echo and confirm most of mine. I've never even been up there and already been told to plan on going back. Riding longer + more room for error = more fun. That was easy.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quick update - thanks for the input, it was spot on. My bike would've been killer for about a single run. The DH bikes are heavy duty, plow through everything and really reduce the fatigue. This place is insane, so much fun. Day 3 tomorrow and the garbanzo zone opens. Lots of Intense bikes up here, 951's, various M's and Uzzis. I have a new found respect for the video rippers out there, video doesn't come close to doing this place justice, especially the A-Line stuff. Thanks again.