mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Carbine 275 brake mounts

I placed an order for a 2013 Carbine 275 frame. It is the "dedicated" 275 and not a 26 with 27.5 dropouts.
    After placing this order I read about the conversion kit for the 26 requiring brake adapters and only being capable of handling a 160mm rear rotor. I don't think this is true for the dedicated 275 frame. On the pricepoint's website it states:
    "After samples were produced with the new 650b G1 dropout. Frames were dispersed for testing. A few refinements were made and the Carbine 275 was born. What started as a conversion, became a dedicated 27.5 frame with proper travel and 27.5 geometry, creating an even faster Intense trail bike."
    The intense website says something very similar but It would not let me copy and paste. They also list the Carbine 26 and 27.5 as two separate bikes. I know there is very little difference between the two other than the dropouts; however, I assume that they placed the IS brake mounts in the proper position and do not require an offset brake mount adapter for 27.5" wheels if they are calling it a dedicated 27.5 bike. I also assume this means that I can use any standard Shimano IS mounts for my brakes and run 180mm rotors with the "dedicated" 27.5 frame. The Intense website and google are not helping me answer this question. Is there anyone with a 2013 Carbine 275 (not a converted 26) who can confirm for me?
    A few weeks later, new dropout in hand, samples were produced. Frames were dispersed for testing, refinements were made and the Carbine 275 was born. Much more than a conversion but now a dedicated 27.5 frame with proper travel , geometry and aggressive 27.5 trail geometry.A few weeks later, new dropout in hand, samples were produced. Frames were dispersed for testing, refinements were made and the Carbine 275 was born. Much more than a conversion but now a dedicated 27.5 frame with proper travel , geometry and aggressive 27.5 trail geometry.few weeks later, new dropout in hand, samples were produced. Frames were dispersed for testing, refinements were made and the Carbine 275 was born. Much more than a conversion but now a dedicated 27.5 frame with proper travel , geometry and aggressive 27.5 trail geometry.A few weeks later, new dropout in hand, samples were produced. Frames were dispersed for testing, refinements were made and the Carbine 275 was born. Much more than a conversion but now a dedicated 27.5 frame with proper travel , geometry and aggressive 27.5 trail geometry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I stumped the forum? I called two local dealers and they couldn't answer my question either. I suppose I would call Intense, but there is no phone number on their website.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Go to Intensecycles.com and click on ENGAGE.

Scroll to bottom of page. ph 951.296.9596

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks! That phone number is well hidden. I was looking under "contact us" and "about us" and "warranty registration"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am not sure if there is a "dedicated" Carbine 275 frame. I just got my 2014 frame and it is using the same dropout -- it looks that the axle was moved out by about 3/4".

Should not matter, solid as it is. And beautiful!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    BTW, my mechanic mentioned that the XT IceTech rear brake does not fit well with the custom bracket, the pads do not cover the braking surface of the rotor completely by about 1/6". With other words, the pads are further out in radial direction. I am using 160 mm Avid HSX rotors that should make no difference. My other bikes with the same brake setup work just fine.

Just wondering if this is an issue with the frame?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Did the frame come with a custom offset brake mount bracket?....Or can you use a standard IS to post mount?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    dboneslick,

I goofed! You should call Sam directly at extension 28. He posted the following in another thread:

"I can guarantee all of you that each inquiry/issue/etc that crosses my desk is handled with my full personal attention. I invite everyone to email me at any time at Sam@Intensecycles.com or call my extension at 951-296-9596 x28. Even if it's just a "hello!" I need that sometimes anyways."

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It came with the custom bracket in the box. I will take some pictures on Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The Carbine 275 uses the extended dropouts and the special brake adaptor, designed for 160mm rear rotors. Fanatik bike covers this in their description of the Carbine very well.

Intense Cycles Carbine/Carbine 275 Frame - Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham Wa

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Brake adapter

Here is a detail about the brake adapter of my 2014 Carbine 275 build:

Carbine 275 brake mounts-20131022_140030-carbinebrake.jpg

The custom brake adapter bracket came with the frame and it is stamped "27.5". My take is that the rear triangle uses the same interchangeable dropout solution for 26" and 27.5". It would not make sense to tool up for 27.5-specific triangle just to have a standard brake mount.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sorry, false alarm. The rotors are working just fine, no problem, just an oversight. However, I have researched the subject and compared the geometry of the two rotors (160 mm Avid HSX VS. Shimano SM-RT86-S). The geometry should work just fine interchangeably.
    Carbine 275 brake mounts-rotor-shimano-avid2.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hi guys....any news on a 180mm brake mount? I'm really keen on this conversion.

Also....can you use a quick release axle (DT swiss/Maxle) with those drop outs as I see the axle that comes in the dropout conversion kit is a threaded type!

cheers
    Intense Carbine
    Giant Trance X Advanced
    Giant Trance X1 (08 MY) Upgraded
    PK Ripper - The Legend

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yes, just announced this week by Sam from Intense. 180mm adaptor is on their webstore for $40

If you are looking at the 275 conversion dropouts then yes, the DT Swiss 142x12 RWS QR works fine if you prefer it to the Intense tooled axle.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Intense Customer Service just posted up that the 180mm is available from their online store. Just put my order in on this. Price is a bit steep but with my 200lb fat-ass I need the additional stopping power

Thread: 275 Conversion Kit- 180mm Brake Adapter
    Link to new mount : 180mm Rear Brake Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by Muchas View Post
    Hi guys....any news on a 180mm brake mount? I'm really keen on this conversion.

Also....can you use a quick release axle (DT swiss/Maxle) with those drop outs as I see the axle that comes in the dropout conversion kit is a threaded type!

cheers
    ٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(̯)۶

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hey Thanks for the super quick reply's, I'm definitely gonna have to go 27.5 now

cheers
    Intense Carbine
    Giant Trance X Advanced
    Giant Trance X1 (08 MY) Upgraded
    PK Ripper - The Legend

Lord of the Chain Rings
    I hate to be the guy that says ...did you Google search it, but a Google search of Intense Cycles reveals the phone number and the address..in case you wanted to tour the factory. (Which I highly recommend!)

Not that easy to find on the website..agreed.
    Uzzi