mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Carbine 27.5 - Tires

Team Intense...I'm making the jump. I've got a Carbine 27.5 frame coming my way...I'm excited

What tires do you recommend? I'll be riding in the high desert all winter...thin/sharp/loose limestone, areas of deep sand/gravel and of course lots of thorny things...

On my 29'r (Superfly 100) I've got a SZ Captain Control 2.2 on the front and a Hutchinson Toro toughskin 2.15 on the back with good results. I tried the thinner sidewall S-Works Captains and the rocks shredded them pretty quickly.

It looks like there'll be lots of choices next year but I'm in need of some tires for this winter season in the desert.

I run tubeless.

I'm thinking Hans Dampf and/or Nobby Nic.

Hans Dampf 27.5x2.35 Trailstar & Snakeskin front and/or rear

Nobby Nic either 27.5x2.25 Pacestar front or... front/rear

Nobby Nic 27.5x2.35 Pacestar & Snakeskin front or front/rear

Any advice?
    Last edited by Wheelman55; 11-13-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Nevegals or Neos may be your only choice right now. If available, I'd go with Nics or Rocket Rons. The Hans Dampf is just too heavy, IMHO.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    We at Go-Ride.com just received some 650 Knobby Nicks in 2.35!!! They probably aren't on our site yet but you can call or email. We're mounting up a set onto our Carbine test bike right now.

Krispy
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    And the Hans are $90 retail Prices on tires are going out the roof!!!
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com View Post
    We at Go-Ride.com just received some 650 Knobby Nicks in 2.35!!! They probably aren't on our site yet but you can call or email. We're mounting up a set onto our Carbine test bike right now.

Krispy
    Need a full review of this bike/tire combo please
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Need a full review of this bike/tire combo please
    I will when i can, it just dropped 4' of snow in the hills and 1.5 on the foothills..

We did get a couple rides before the storm. "Better than Nevegals" was the first conclusion. The one thing Nevies do well is work OK on hardpack with their rounded profile and soft rubber shoulders. The Nicks have some sideknob flex on hardpack corners but otherwise roll faster, set up tubeless, and should cut and edge through deep duff.

Krispy
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

mtbr member
    HD is the best front tire I have ever ridden for rocks and chunk. I would not recommend it for the rear. The NN Pacestar should work very well in the back. NN was unnerving in the front since there was a dead spot in traction about 15 degrees off axis.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    HD is the best front tire I have ever ridden for rocks and chunk. I would not recommend it for the rear. The NN Pacestar should work very well in the back. NN was unnerving in the front since there was a dead spot in traction about 15 degrees off axis.

Good info. I've got an overabundance of rocky chunk here in New England. At the same time I'm waiting on a pair of NN tires from Germany that appear to be stuck in customs

I'll try it on the front just because it's coming but there is nothing worse than a front tire you can't trust or is unpredictable. 30+ years of dirt bikes has taught me that and sometimes the hard way.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Carbine 27.5 and Hans Dampf

OK...the Hans Dampf's that I ordered from the German outfit came in today, 11/13...ordred on 10/31...2 weeks from Germany to the USA is pretty fast...anyway...the four tires came in at 830 grams for the heaviest, 810 grams for the two in the middle and 790 grams for the lighest.

I'll post more pics as I do the build

Hans Dampf 650bx2.35:
    Attached Images Attached Images