mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Calling Tracer VPP Owners, any pivot bearing issues so far?

I'm thinking of buying a Tracer VPP in a week. But I'm concerned about pivot bearing issues.

I had a Spyder before. It was plagued with creaking pivots even after only 2 mths of ownership. The creak starts to appear after about 4 rides and got really bad after two months I bought it. Since then I gave up totally on VPP bikes, although I still love Intense and Santa Cruz as a brand. I think VPP bikes needs too much maintenance.

So Tracer VPP owners, have any of you experienced pivot bearing issues so far?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    none.

mtbr member
    nada

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

None at all

I have owned a 5.5 and then 6.6. I now have a Tracer VP. I had creaking problems with the 5.5. Several years ago, I stopped hosing down my bike after muddy/wet rides. Instead, I waited til the mud dryed and then brushed it off with a soft brush and then if I was really obsessed with the bike looking ckean, I would wipe it down with a damp rag. Its all about not letting the water get into the pivots. But now with the zert fittings, I think it will be much easier to maintain. Read the sticky thread on this forum that Jeff Steber posted. BTW... I live in the Pacific NW, so I do ride in plenty of wet conditions.

mtbr member
    One more thing that I don't think anyone has noticed/ mentioned about the new Tracer is that the upper pivot utilizes a slightly narrower bearing which allows the shoulder bolts to mount flush now. My curiosity got the best of me several weeks back and I had to pull the pivots apart to see what they were working with

To my surprise the upper shoulder bolts now are machined and fitted with an o ring to keep moisture out of the bearings- trick idea and just wanted to pass that info along. So the upper bearings should last just as long as the lower with no need to pop the seals off and re-grease the for a long time. I did a modification to my SS but don't think I should show it yet........Mr. Intense..... you know what I mean.

E2
    Don't drink it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnw/bear
    Several years ago, I stopped hosing down my bike after muddy/wet rides. Instead, I waited til the mud dryed and then brushed it off with a soft brush
    Indeed,this keeps the creacking away. I to stopped hosing the "older" Tracer after weddy,muddy conditions and never heard a noise again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I don't know where you all you guys live, but here in Scotland wet & muddy is what we get every day :-)...and bikes NEED to be washed down after evrey ride (but not pressure washed, just hosed with water to wash off the crud) I already ride a SS and have a Tracer VP. Before that I had a Santa Cruz 4X which need a shot of grease every two months to keep the creaks at bay......my SS was only once in 11 months, but I was only riding that at weekends...the Tracer is my 'hack bike' will be ridden every day like the 4X so I'll guess I soon find out...although things are now easier with VPP2 :-)

banned
    What I suggest to many people who have bikes with cartridge bearings in hubs of suspension linkage is to prep the items prior to first use by actually opening the bearings by removing the shields carefully. No matter what grease is in there, one should still pack them. In the case of hubs, they may roll slowly for some miles until some grease works itself out, but after, they are incredibly smooth. This gives water less of a place to intrude if the void is removed, and in the case of suspension pivots, one can pretty much run 100% fill and it's not a problem. Additionally, it's always good to coat the face of the seal with a very thin layer of grease, to "impregnate" it, for lack of a better word, with a hydrophobic layer of grease. I've found in hubs it makes a huge difference in the longevity of the bearings and those whom I have given this advice to for suspension pivots haven't had a problem ever.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Good advice from JC , but the new VPP designs like the Tracer should not need this as they are fitted with zerk grease ports and special bearings and one way seals to purge the old grease out.
    Last edited by Total Chaos; 11-09-2008 at 08:35 AM.

banned
    Correct you are!