Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

build list done-ordering this week

Well the build is final and will be a go on Mon or Tues.

frame-09 Intense M6 with ti-Cane Creek in WORKS BLUE
    fork-08 888 RC3 in WHITE
    brakes-Avid Elixers CR 8" with carbon levers
    handle bars-Gravity Lite 40mm rise 710mm wide in BLACK
    headset-Cane Creek Double Xc Flush
    chain-Sram PC991 crossstep
    shifters and derailer-Sram X9
    seat-WTB Rocket V ti
    seatpost-Thompson Elite
    grips-ODI Northshore
    crank and bb-Gravity Lites 36T w/LG1 or MAYBE Hammer Schmidt
    pedals-Shimano 647 DX
    wheelset-BLUE I9 hubs/spokes with WHITE I9 DH rims
    cassette-11/34 Shimano XT
    tires-Maxxis DHF 3c 2.5s
    tubes-Maxxis ultra lites

Im hoping for 40-41 lbs. I know I would have hit it with a Boxxer, but Im going to give the 888 a try. I cant decide on the I9 hub/spokes color. I think the gold will match the CCDB, but I really want blue. I think the blue spokes/hubs would be a little too much blue with the frame being blue too. Ideas?

Pics will follow in about 8 weeks.... I hope.

Any last opinions?
    Last edited by kntr; 11-05-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Ideas Above My Station...
    go blue. It'll look sick with the white 888's!!

(Kinda) metallic blue (Works finish) and gold are going to look bad in my opinion.

I wished i'd got blue, but got the pewter CK hubs, they look sick, but a little understated. Which is sometimes nice, but sometimes i wish they were louder, or matched another part of my bike.
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

mtbr member
    The gold I9s will match the CCDB.

The blue I9 would match the frame, but Im thinking that would be too much blue...

mtbr member
    Have you considered Formula The One brakes? They are fantastic.

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW
    Have you considered Formula The One brakes? They are fantastic.
    X2!
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Ive heard the Formula One brakes are a little touchy. Plus they are another $200 more and they dont come with rotors or adapters. They would end up costing me about $350 more. Im over my budget already.

Any idea on which color I9s I should go with? Blue or gold?

Commit or eat sh!t
    Marzocchi has had lots of problems with their 2008 lineup. Might want to do some searches. I remember seeing lots of complaints in the Shocks and Suspension forum. If you still want Marzocchi, see if you can get the 2009 model instead.

eci
    Go with a boxxer, i am running a team(on my m6) and its pretty sweet.

Blue i-9's for sure.

Stay away from the formula's i had them and was super pleased at first then they died quickly. Theres an overflow valve under the h-bar and it leaked on me...

Stay away from marz, the lowers are out of tolerance on most* of the forks and cause major slop issues.

*6 of my buddies bought 08 forks and 6 had sloppy lowers...

Botox User
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    Pics will follow in about 8 weeks.... I hope.
    Unless you know some special people, I doubt you'll get a custom built set of I9's in 8 weeks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny427
    Unless you know some special people, I doubt you'll get a custom built set of I9's in 8 weeks!
    Oh I know people. You would be surprised at who I know. You are probably right though. Ill be waiting on the wheels for sure. Winter is here in Montana so I dont mind waiting.

As for the 888, the early 08s had problems. The late 08s are fine. I had a buddy at Zoke run the SS# of the one I just bought and it is one of the new versions. I should be good to go. You can also check the bottom of the arch. If there is a red dot in the arch, then it is a newer 08 and the bushing problem was fixed. If there is a green dot then it is a "problemed" fork.

Im thinking the blue I9s with a blue frame will be a little too much blue......

Chundo Style

Im thinking the blue I9s with a blue frame will be a little too much blue......
    What about blue hubs and gold spokes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitateloschones
    What about blue hubs and gold spokes?
    I was just looking at some other pics of M6s at Sicklines and I think you are right.

I wanna run white rims, though. I wonder how the blue/gold will look with the white Syncros rims.

mtbr member
    The gold I9s will match the CCDB.

The blue I9 would match the frame, but Im thinking that would be too much blue...
    too much blue IMO

gold would be sweet with the ccdb and for a little more gold saint cranks and rear der

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    40mm of rise on your bars seems like a lot. Do you prefer a very tall front end?

WTB Devo is another great seat with a lot of surface area but a little lighter than the Rocket V.

I might be tempted to hold off for the new Boxxer at this point since winter is coming on but that's a tough call.

Oh, and personally, I'd go I9's laced to 823's and go tubeless. I've been running 823's for three years now and they're just so darn good. UST Minon's setup effortlessly, don't even require a compressor to seat the bead on 823's.

mtbr member
    A lot of the stuff I ride is steep with lots of rollers, so Im thinking the taller bars will be nice. Since Im going with a flush headset, I thought Id go with a taller handlebar.

Ive run the Rocket V on all my bikes since 2000 or so.

Ive been thinking of going to tubeless but Im old school and always run light tubes. Ive never had a problem with 130g-150g tubes. Do you have to run Stans with the 823 and UST Minions?

I really want a 2010 Boxxer but Ive been told it might not happen till LATE spring or maybe even mid summer.

BUILD UPDATED

Great advise. Anyone else?
    Last edited by kntr; 11-04-2008 at 07:39 PM.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    A lot of the stuff I ride is steep with lots of rollers, so Im thinking the taller bars will be nice. Since Im going with a flush headset, I thought Id go with a taller handlebar.

Ive run the Rocket V on all my bikes since 2000 or so.

Ive been thinking of going to tubeless but Im old school and always run light tubes. Ive never had a problem with 130g-150g tubes. Do you have to run Stans with the 823 and UST Minions?

I really want a 2010 Boxxer but Ive been told it might not happen till LATE spring or maybe even mid summer.

BUILD UPDATED

Great advise. Anyone else?
    Rock on dude, gonna be a sweet bike.

You don't have to run Stans with the 823/Minion Combo but if you ride in an area that has a lot of thorns or sharp objects that tend to pierce tires, it buys you some extra insurance.

mtbr member
    I want some wider bars too. Ideas? I like the Sunlines but I cant get over the gray color.

Gravity Lite Bars?

Chundo Style
    maybe some burgtecs, although there are a few pics around the web of snaped bars,

Old school BMXer
    Why are you using XC brakes on a DH bike? I'd suggest considering some Codes (if you're an Avid fan) or the new Shimano Saints (if you're a fan of good brakes).

At some point, you'll likely regret purchasing a new Marzocchi. When that time comes, remember that you read that here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The Elixir brakes are not XC, they are advertised as an All-mountain brake.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I want some wider bars too. Ideas? I like the Sunlines but I cant get over the gray color.

Gravity Lite Bars?
    I find the rise and sweep of the Gravity Lites to be quite agreeable if you want a black bar. I have sunlines on both of my current bikes set at 28.5" and am very happy.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSquirrel
    The Elixir brakes are not XC, they are advertised as an All-mountain brake.
    Excuse me. I stand corrected.

To the OP, why would you want AM brakes on a DH bike?

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    I find the rise and sweep of the Gravity Lites to be quite agreeable if you want a black bar. I have sunlines on both of my current bikes set at 28.5" and am very happy.
    I have a couple Sunline V2 bars (the only black bar other than the V3), and it's a heavy handlebar! I don't the weight of the Gravity Lite bar, though. I have the Gravity Lite DH carbon bar on my XC bike, and the bar is reasonably light (I forgot the weight - I'm kind of a weight weenie - I weigh everything).

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    I have a couple Sunline V2 bars (the only black bar other than the V3), and it's a heavy handlebar! I don't the weight of the Gravity Lite bar, though. I have the Gravity Lite DH carbon bar on my XC bike, and the bar is reasonably light (I forgot the weight - I'm kind of a weight weenie - I weigh everything).
    None of the big wide bars are very light. There is a good bit of extra material in there to keep them strong enough in the increased widths. I'm with you on bit of a weight weenie at times and I'll concede that all weight carried up high on a bike should be heavily scrutinized. Bars, stems, posts, saddles can really add up and make a bike feel sluggish. But, I find that on my Socom the benefits (namely stability) of the 28.5's is well worth the trade off.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    None of the big wide bars are very light. There is a good bit of extra material in there to keep them strong enough in the increased widths. I'm with you on bit of a weight weenie at times and I'll concede that all weight carried up high on a bike should be heavily scrutinized. Bars, stems, posts, saddles can really add up and make a bike feel sluggish. But, I find that on my Socom the benefits (namely stability) of the 28.5's is well worth the trade off.
    The Sunline V1 bars are fairly light and wide...but they're not black. That bugs me as they don't look right on my nearly all-black M6.

I just installed a set of the Azonic B52 bars (black!) onto my SS, and the weight is OK. Heavier than the V1 bar, but lighter than the V2. And they're wide. Sorry, I don't have my weight sheets with me.

I'm no more concerned with weight up high vs down low. I understand the benefit, but I am concerned with weight anywhere that I can reduce it without it becoming a risk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast