Results 1 to 38 of 38
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,585

    build list done-ordering this week

    Well the build is final and will be a go on Mon or Tues.

    frame-09 Intense M6 with ti-Cane Creek in WORKS BLUE
    fork-08 888 RC3 in WHITE
    brakes-Avid Elixers CR 8" with carbon levers
    handle bars-Gravity Lite 40mm rise 710mm wide in BLACK
    headset-Cane Creek Double Xc Flush
    chain-Sram PC991 crossstep
    shifters and derailer-Sram X9
    seat-WTB Rocket V ti
    seatpost-Thompson Elite
    grips-ODI Northshore
    crank and bb-Gravity Lites 36T w/LG1 or MAYBE Hammer Schmidt
    pedals-Shimano 647 DX
    wheelset-BLUE I9 hubs/spokes with WHITE I9 DH rims
    cassette-11/34 Shimano XT
    tires-Maxxis DHF 3c 2.5s
    tubes-Maxxis ultra lites

    Im hoping for 40-41 lbs. I know I would have hit it with a Boxxer, but Im going to give the 888 a try. I cant decide on the I9 hub/spokes color. I think the gold will match the CCDB, but I really want blue. I think the blue spokes/hubs would be a little too much blue with the frame being blue too. Ideas?

    Pics will follow in about 8 weeks.... I hope.

    Any last opinions?
    Last edited by kntr; 11-05-2008 at 07:05 PM.

  2. #2
    Ideas Above My Station...
    Reputation: Orange-Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,506
    go blue. It'll look sick with the white 888's!!

    (Kinda) metallic blue (Works finish) and gold are going to look bad in my opinion.

    I wished i'd got blue, but got the pewter CK hubs, they look sick, but a little understated. Which is sometimes nice, but sometimes i wish they were louder, or matched another part of my bike.
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,585
    The gold I9s will match the CCDB.

    The blue I9 would match the frame, but Im thinking that would be too much blue...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ScottW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,199
    Have you considered Formula The One brakes? They are fantastic.

  5. #5
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: coldsteele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW
    Have you considered Formula The One brakes? They are fantastic.
    X2!
    Team MOJO Wheels.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,585
    Ive heard the Formula One brakes are a little touchy. Plus they are another $200 more and they dont come with rotors or adapters. They would end up costing me about $350 more. Im over my budget already.

    Any idea on which color I9s I should go with? Blue or gold?

  7. #7
    Commit or eat sh!t
    Reputation: Cable0guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,384
    Marzocchi has had lots of problems with their 2008 lineup. Might want to do some searches. I remember seeing lots of complaints in the Shocks and Suspension forum. If you still want Marzocchi, see if you can get the 2009 model instead.

  8. #8
    eci
    Reputation: snowskilz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,664
    Go with a boxxer, i am running a team(on my m6) and its pretty sweet.

    Blue i-9's for sure.

    Stay away from the formula's i had them and was super pleased at first then they died quickly. Theres an overflow valve under the h-bar and it leaked on me...

    Stay away from marz, the lowers are out of tolerance on most* of the forks and cause major slop issues.


    *6 of my buddies bought 08 forks and 6 had sloppy lowers...

  9. #9
    Botox User
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    Pics will follow in about 8 weeks.... I hope.
    Unless you know some special people, I doubt you'll get a custom built set of I9's in 8 weeks!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,585
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny427
    Unless you know some special people, I doubt you'll get a custom built set of I9's in 8 weeks!
    Oh I know people. You would be surprised at who I know. You are probably right though. Ill be waiting on the wheels for sure. Winter is here in Montana so I dont mind waiting.


    As for the 888, the early 08s had problems. The late 08s are fine. I had a buddy at Zoke run the SS# of the one I just bought and it is one of the new versions. I should be good to go. You can also check the bottom of the arch. If there is a red dot in the arch, then it is a newer 08 and the bushing problem was fixed. If there is a green dot then it is a "problemed" fork.


    Im thinking the blue I9s with a blue frame will be a little too much blue......

  11. #11
    Chundo Style
    Reputation: kitateloschones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr


    Im thinking the blue I9s with a blue frame will be a little too much blue......
    What about blue hubs and gold spokes?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,585
    Quote Originally Posted by kitateloschones
    What about blue hubs and gold spokes?
    I was just looking at some other pics of M6s at Sicklines and I think you are right.

    I wanna run white rims, though. I wonder how the blue/gold will look with the white Syncros rims.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mikey_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    The gold I9s will match the CCDB.

    The blue I9 would match the frame, but Im thinking that would be too much blue...
    too much blue IMO

    gold would be sweet with the ccdb and for a little more gold saint cranks and rear der

  14. #14
    Err
    Err is offline
    Calm like a bomb
    Reputation: Err's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,518
    40mm of rise on your bars seems like a lot. Do you prefer a very tall front end?

    WTB Devo is another great seat with a lot of surface area but a little lighter than the Rocket V.

    I might be tempted to hold off for the new Boxxer at this point since winter is coming on but that's a tough call.

    Oh, and personally, I'd go I9's laced to 823's and go tubeless. I've been running 823's for three years now and they're just so darn good. UST Minon's setup effortlessly, don't even require a compressor to seat the bead on 823's.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,585
    A lot of the stuff I ride is steep with lots of rollers, so Im thinking the taller bars will be nice. Since Im going with a flush headset, I thought Id go with a taller handlebar.

    Ive run the Rocket V on all my bikes since 2000 or so.

    Ive been thinking of going to tubeless but Im old school and always run light tubes. Ive never had a problem with 130g-150g tubes. Do you have to run Stans with the 823 and UST Minions?

    I really want a 2010 Boxxer but Ive been told it might not happen till LATE spring or maybe even mid summer.


    BUILD UPDATED

    Great advise. Anyone else?
    Last edited by kntr; 11-04-2008 at 08:39 PM.

  16. #16
    Err
    Err is offline
    Calm like a bomb
    Reputation: Err's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,518
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    A lot of the stuff I ride is steep with lots of rollers, so Im thinking the taller bars will be nice. Since Im going with a flush headset, I thought Id go with a taller handlebar.

    Ive run the Rocket V on all my bikes since 2000 or so.

    Ive been thinking of going to tubeless but Im old school and always run light tubes. Ive never had a problem with 130g-150g tubes. Do you have to run Stans with the 823 and UST Minions?

    I really want a 2010 Boxxer but Ive been told it might not happen till LATE spring or maybe even mid summer.


    BUILD UPDATED

    Great advise. Anyone else?
    Rock on dude, gonna be a sweet bike.

    You don't have to run Stans with the 823/Minion Combo but if you ride in an area that has a lot of thorns or sharp objects that tend to pierce tires, it buys you some extra insurance.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,585
    I want some wider bars too. Ideas? I like the Sunlines but I cant get over the gray color.

    Gravity Lite Bars?

  18. #18
    Chundo Style
    Reputation: kitateloschones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    41
    maybe some burgtecs, although there are a few pics around the web of snaped bars,

  19. #19
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,678
    Why are you using XC brakes on a DH bike? I'd suggest considering some Codes (if you're an Avid fan) or the new Shimano Saints (if you're a fan of good brakes).

    At some point, you'll likely regret purchasing a new Marzocchi. When that time comes, remember that you read that here.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,688
    The Elixir brakes are not XC, they are advertised as an All-mountain brake.

  21. #21
    Err
    Err is offline
    Calm like a bomb
    Reputation: Err's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,518
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    I want some wider bars too. Ideas? I like the Sunlines but I cant get over the gray color.

    Gravity Lite Bars?
    I find the rise and sweep of the Gravity Lites to be quite agreeable if you want a black bar. I have sunlines on both of my current bikes set at 28.5" and am very happy.

  22. #22
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSquirrel
    The Elixir brakes are not XC, they are advertised as an All-mountain brake.
    Excuse me. I stand corrected.

    To the OP, why would you want AM brakes on a DH bike?

  23. #23
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    I find the rise and sweep of the Gravity Lites to be quite agreeable if you want a black bar. I have sunlines on both of my current bikes set at 28.5" and am very happy.
    I have a couple Sunline V2 bars (the only black bar other than the V3), and it's a heavy handlebar! I don't the weight of the Gravity Lite bar, though. I have the Gravity Lite DH carbon bar on my XC bike, and the bar is reasonably light (I forgot the weight - I'm kind of a weight weenie - I weigh everything).

  24. #24
    Err
    Err is offline
    Calm like a bomb
    Reputation: Err's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    I have a couple Sunline V2 bars (the only black bar other than the V3), and it's a heavy handlebar! I don't the weight of the Gravity Lite bar, though. I have the Gravity Lite DH carbon bar on my XC bike, and the bar is reasonably light (I forgot the weight - I'm kind of a weight weenie - I weigh everything).
    None of the big wide bars are very light. There is a good bit of extra material in there to keep them strong enough in the increased widths. I'm with you on bit of a weight weenie at times and I'll concede that all weight carried up high on a bike should be heavily scrutinized. Bars, stems, posts, saddles can really add up and make a bike feel sluggish. But, I find that on my Socom the benefits (namely stability) of the 28.5's is well worth the trade off.

  25. #25
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    None of the big wide bars are very light. There is a good bit of extra material in there to keep them strong enough in the increased widths. I'm with you on bit of a weight weenie at times and I'll concede that all weight carried up high on a bike should be heavily scrutinized. Bars, stems, posts, saddles can really add up and make a bike feel sluggish. But, I find that on my Socom the benefits (namely stability) of the 28.5's is well worth the trade off.
    The Sunline V1 bars are fairly light and wide...but they're not black. That bugs me as they don't look right on my nearly all-black M6.

    I just installed a set of the Azonic B52 bars (black!) onto my SS, and the weight is OK. Heavier than the V1 bar, but lighter than the V2. And they're wide. Sorry, I don't have my weight sheets with me.

    I'm no more concerned with weight up high vs down low. I understand the benefit, but I am concerned with weight anywhere that I can reduce it without it becoming a risk.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    171

    Deity "dirty thirty" maybe?

    How about a Deity dirty thirty? At 30" (760 mm) it's really wide and is said to weigh under 300 g. It's got a 25 mm rise though but you could still compensate with spacers/stem to suit your desired height. Comes in black and white.

    Err, did you cut back a 29.something" (745 mm) V1 or is it actually a 28" (711 mm) bar? On CRC's site I can only find those two lentghts.

    Cheers

  27. #27
    Err
    Err is offline
    Calm like a bomb
    Reputation: Err's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuzi
    How about a Deity dirty thirty? At 30" (760 mm) it's really wide and is said to weigh under 300 g. It's got a 25 mm rise though but you could still compensate with spacers/stem to suit your desired height. Comes in black and white.

    Err, did you cut back a 29.something" (745 mm) V1 or is it actually a 28" (711 mm) bar? On CRC's site I can only find those two lentghts.

    Cheers
    Zuzi - yeah, I cut my bars down.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,585
    Let me see if I can answer all the questions.....

    First, the Elixer CR is advertised as a do all brake, even DH. Check the website. Ive ridden Codes and they are a bit too touchy for me. The Elixer is also lighter (75g) and I like the adjustments on them.
    http://www.sram.com/en/avid/hydrauli...s/elixircr.php

    As for the Diety Bars, I like them but Im not a fan of the shiney black paint.

    The Gravity Lites are 28" wide and weigh 290g.
    EA70 is 27" and 265g.
    Havoc is 28" and 310g.
    Sunline is 28" and 277g.
    Deity is 30" and 296g for 7075.
    Deity is also 28" and 325g for the 2014.
    Syncros is 28" and 315g.
    Syncros is also 31" and 350g.

    Ahhh, I want a black bar with about 20mm-40mm rise and 29" and under 300g. I think Ill just settle for he 28" Gravity. Im use to the 27" Ea70 so its going to be wider.

  29. #29
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,678
    I rode my M3 for quite some time with Juicy 7 brakes and 203 mm rotors. At the time, I thought they worked very well - I had zero complaints. I then installed Codes, and I was blown away how much good brakes make a difference. Sure, the Elixers will slow you down, but there are better options out there. But, it's your bike and your call.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,585
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    I rode my M3 for quite some time with Juicy 7 brakes and 203 mm rotors. At the time, I thought they worked very well - I had zero complaints. I then installed Codes, and I was blown away how much good brakes make a difference. Sure, the Elixers will slow you down, but there are better options out there. But, it's your bike and your call.
    Have you ridden the Elixer? Whats better? Thats why I made this thread. Im not like a lot of other guys on these forums. I actually listen to suggestions, rather than just spew my own.

    Im open to suggestions. Im on Strokers now and they were just sent back to Hayes on Monday. Im tired of having them worked on.

    Hook me up with the knowledge.

    What do you suggest? Im making the order later today or tomorrow.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    372
    i am on juicy 7 with 180 rotors. I have started with 203 but are too much for my weight really. If you are on the 65 kilos you don't need too much power

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,585
    Im about 170-175 out of the shower. When I use to race, I was top 10 in expert, usually top 3. My Strokers use to fade on me all the time and had to be pumped by the end of my run to get them to work. I think I had a faulty pair though. The levers would never retract and they had to be bled all the time.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nwmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    Ive heard the Formula One brakes are a little touchy. Plus they are another $200 more and they dont come with rotors or adapters. They would end up costing me about $350 more. Im over my budget already.

    Solid looking build Britt.

    I'd second the ONE's .... plus they're not that large of a difference in price.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nwmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr

    Ahhh, I want a black bar with about 20mm-40mm rise and 29" and under 300g. I think Ill just settle for he 28" Gravity. Im use to the 27" Ea70 so its going to be wider.



    also...you might check out those Chromag OSX Fubars.....30" in length and 295 grams. Sounds like the bar that you're after.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,585
    I dont see the Chromag OSX on their website. I did find them in the blog section. They look sweeeet. I already made my order though about 3 hours ago. Im only 5'9" and ride some tight trails so maybe the 28" will be ok.

    The Ones are $140 more and then adaptors and discs are $70 more. So I guess about $200 more.

    Parts list above is now final. I guess I could make some changes tomorrow morning but as of now the order is made. I hope to have pics before X-Mas.

    CHAD,
    Where are my stickers? It will be a year on Thanksgiving.
    Last edited by kntr; 11-05-2008 at 08:44 PM.

  36. #36
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    Have you ridden the Elixer? Whats better? Thats why I made this thread. Im not like a lot of other guys on these forums. I actually listen to suggestions, rather than just spew my own.
    I have not ridden any bikes with Elixir brakes. I can only guestimate their performance based on Avid's claim "The larger pistons produce overall power that sits halfway between Juicy and Code." And as I mentioned, I think the Juicys are/were good brakes. The Elixirs will just be better. So really, you'll likely be impressed with the brakes, especially compared to the reliability record of the Strokers. And if later you decide that you want or need better braking, there are options out there.

    Congratulations on getting your parts ordered. We look forward to seeing the completed bike!

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nwmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,165
    i don't make'em .... and DT Swiss hasn't come through for me or for u. Want me to peel some decals off a set of rims ? I can and will. : )

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,585
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb
    i don't make'em .... and DT Swiss hasn't come through for me or for u. Want me to peel some decals off a set of rims ? I can and will. : )

    No, its all good. I could probably have some made if I had one though.
    Thanks for the info on the Chromag bars.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •