mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Broken Tracer 29 linkage

I always appreciate when others post frame failures, so I think I'll share mine. Out at Vail Lake in SoCal today riding the 12 hours of Temecula route to gauge my fitness and the bike starts wallowing a bit, clicking, and skipping gears. I pull over and find the upper shoulder link is broken off. Sadness set in immediately, especially as I was at the furthest point possible from the parking lot (thats when frame failures always happen...). If you are familiar with this terrain its not exactly aggressive so I'm very surprised this happened on a pretty new frame. I usually ride this route on a carbon hardtail that takes it like a champ. I'll see what my dealer can do with it this week, but next time I want to go big I think I'll leave the Tracer at home and take out the XC race bike, its proven more durable.Broken Tracer 29 linkage-small-link.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

oh no.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeSch View Post
    I always appreciate when others post frame failures, so I think I'll share mine. Out at Vail Lake in SoCal today riding the 12 hours of Temecula route to gauge my fitness and the bike starts wallowing a bit, clicking, and skipping gears. I pull over and find the upper shoulder link is broken off. Sadness set in immediately, especially as I was at the furthest point possible from the parking lot (thats when frame failures always happen...). If you are familiar with this terrain its not exactly aggressive so I'm very surprised this happened on a pretty new frame. I usually ride this route on a carbon hardtail that takes it like a champ. I'll see what my dealer can do with it this week, but next time I want to go big I think I'll leave the Tracer at home and take out the XC race bike, its proven more durable.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small link.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	792572
    Oh man, sorry to see that, thats kind weird hu ? What do you think happed ?
    Bad design , bad metalergy, super hard landing ?

I ride xc hardtail in florida but i use overbuilt wheelset and forks.

I put a x fusion slide fork on a gt karakoram frame then built groupset around it.

Altho i run sram x9 hubs and mavic 319 rims i have not had any frame issues. Im 220 with gear and i take some jumps but not more than 2 or 3 foot.

Thats a weird place for a brake.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I think the rear end flex caused enough dissimilar load on that link that it snapped it apart. The break occurred on a rutted out section of trail and I think the high frequency of movement did it in. I had this bike built up for lighter duty than most I've seen. Definitely did not expect to crack the frame before the Arch wheels or XC group set...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Did it break on a weld? I can't tell by the pic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nope, it's broken at the arm of the pivot link that the seatstay bolts into. This is the weakest looking part of the whole CNCed link but I've never seen one break like this before.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That's the same link that broke on mine. In fact it is the same side as well.

When you take your bike back to the shop to have them replace the linkage, make sure they inspect the weld joint on the frame just about the linkage. When mine link broke it also broke that weld joint and went unnoticed.

Broken Tracer 29 linkage-photo-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    deleted

I fix your broken ****!
    Jake- Shoot me an email and I'll help you out ASAP

sam@intensecycles.com

Pirate!!!
    Ouch!! Ive had frame failure on my T29 also, Sam at Intense will take good care of you.; )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDaugherty View Post
    That's the same link that broke on mine. In fact it is the same side as well.

When you take your bike back to the shop to have them replace the linkage, make sure they inspect the weld joint on the frame just about the linkage. When mine link broke it also broke that weld joint and went unnoticed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	792871

Mine looks exactly like this: