mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Broken main pivot bolt (5.5 EVP)

A bout a year ago I posted pics of a Intense 5.5EVP that was custom built for an industry tradeshow. About two months after the show circuit completed I was able to buy the complet bike for a really good price.

I was inspecting the bike this morning as is custom for me prior to my Friday morning ride. I paid special attention to the bottom bracket and headset areas becuase I noticed on last week's ride that I was getting a pretty ungly sounding grinding noise on technical ascents. Also noticed that the bike had a little more rattle on descents.

Low and behold! The most rearward main pivot bolt (there are two on the 5.5) was sticking out about 1/4" on the left side of the bike. The right side of the bolt (right behind the chainrings on the drive side) was gone! The pivot point on the drive side of the bike where the rear triangle (chainstay) meets the mainframe was out of alignment with a washer hanging there about to fall off.

I called Intense and the guy there told me that the main pivot bolt is one piece that goes all the way through the frame to the other side. In other words the driveside of this bolt must have been broken off. How, I'll never know. The guy at Intense said that he's never heard of this happening before. I trail-ride agressively, but it's not like I'm doing even 5 foot hucks or anything like that on this bike.

I'll attach pics ASAP. Just wondering is this has happened to any other 5.5 owners.

Also, I'm alleging that Supergo's inability to build this bike correctly may have played a factor in this as well as a resulting crash that banged me up pretty badly. More on that allegation ASAP.

Penny's my cow-cat

... and if we just ... Me too!

My lower Bolt also broke on the first day of my vacation while visiting my parents in the good ole U.S.of A. I went to the local hardware store and found a match for a quick fix untill I got back home here in friendly Schweiz. I heard/read this is a fairly commen problem with Intense bikes. I also read some where that Intense replaced the old hollow main Bolts with solid steel ones, but I'm not so sure about that. Actually the Bolt I bought at the HW store was bomb soild, but it was uglier than my best friends Mom ass.

Anyway welcome to the club.
    Penny has the fastest Paw in the west!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy-jeff
    Actually the Bolt I bought at the HW store was bomb soild, but it was uglier than my best friends Mom ass.

lol that made my day. no MILF love on the bolt huh?

mtbr member

O.T...... Stupid-Go

Quote Originally Posted by shark_hugger
    A bout a year ago I posted pics of a Intense 5.5EVP that was custom built for an industry tradeshow. About two months after the show circuit completed I was able to buy the complet bike for a really good price.

I was inspecting the bike this morning as is custom for me prior to my Friday morning ride. I paid special attention to the bottom bracket and headset areas becuase I noticed on last week's ride that I was getting a pretty ungly sounding grinding noise on technical ascents. Also noticed that the bike had a little more rattle on descents.

Low and behold! The most rearward main pivot bolt (there are two on the 5.5) was sticking out about 1/4" on the left side of the bike. The right side of the bolt (right behind the chainrings on the drive side) was gone! The pivot point on the drive side of the bike where the rear triangle (chainstay) meets the mainframe was out of alignment with a washer hanging there about to fall off.

I called Intense and the guy there told me that the main pivot bolt is one piece that goes all the way through the frame to the other side. In other words the driveside of this bolt must have been broken off. How, I'll never know. The guy at Intense said that he's never heard of this happening before. I trail-ride agressively, but it's not like I'm doing even 5 foot hucks or anything like that on this bike.

I'll attach pics ASAP. Just wondering is this has happened to any other 5.5 owners.

Also, I'm alleging that Supergo's inability to build this bike correctly may have played a factor in this as well as a resulting crash that banged me up pretty badly. More on that allegation ASAP.
    Also, I'm alleging that Supergo's inability to build this bike correctly may have played a factor

Thank God they are gone. My local Stupid-Go was the worst shop on the planet.

mtbr member
    I've broken a lower pivot bolt as well. It broke right at the beginning of the threads. Also, the aluminium cup that the bolt runs through on the left side has broken many times - I think I've had four of these in little over a year. The cup typically breaks in landings (small jumps only), the Push link doesn't seem to prevent it either. But no more! I took the cup to a local machine shop and they made a copy from stainless steel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by PolkaDot
    I've broken a lower pivot bolt as well. It broke right at the beginning of the threads. Also, the aluminium cup that the bolt runs through on the left side has broken many times - I think I've had four of these in little over a year. The cup typically breaks in landings (small jumps only), the Push link doesn't seem to prevent it either. But no more! I took the cup to a local machine shop and they made a copy from stainless steel.
    NICE!!! I've broken a few of those as well. It was a bad design.

Members who have read this thread: 0