suspension whore

Battleship Grey 6.6 Ride Review

I've ridden about 80 miles so I figured it was time to post a report on the new 6.6 build.
    In short I'm loving it - its a proficient climber and a confidence inspiring descender.

By way of back ground
    - the 6.6 is replacing an Ellsworth ID with a Marz AM1.
    - I already own a Demo 9 for shuttle or lift sessions so this is my XC / All mountain bike.
    - My local trail involves an 8 mile climb with over 3000 feet of fire road climbing followed by 8 miles of rocky technical single track.

The 6.6 feels super plush and the travel is deep with a very late ramp up / bottom out. I was nervous about giving up my coil but the fox dhx air is pretty sweet. I have the pro pedal turned way down so there is no harsh top end or platform that to compromise small bump sensetivity. Even with no propedal it climbs with no bob in the seated position.
    Compared to the 3+ lb lighter ID, the 6.6 is just as efficient and smooth on flats. On the trail in granny gear there is a slight feeling of chain tension but less of a feeling of front wheel wander. I feel the weight at the end of the climb but not during it.
    The Fox 36 VAN has the same axel to crown as the AM1 with 10mm more travel but no travel adjustment- I was worried about the bikes ability to climb but its not a problem- the flush head set looks just slightly steeper than the AM1 at full travel but the fox is sticking to the ground with a lot less wander.

When it comes to descending the added weight of the frame, build and fork (approx 4 lbs) makes a huge difference. The bike feels solid and responsive and definately inspires confidence, some thing the ID failed to do with its light weight build and higher bottom bracket.
    I wanted this bike to have a ride "feel" like my demo 9 with out the weight penalty and it does. I wont have any qualms about taking this bike down anything.

I was also looking at the Nomad which I've yet to ride but I'm sure it is a great bike.
    I've heard people describe the nomad a the "more" freeride bike while the 6.6 is a "more " all mountain bike. I wont dis agree with that statement at this time and I wanted this bike to be more all moutain than free ride in its geometry.
    I went with the 6.6 because I definately wanted a coil/coil forks so I was set on the VAN. With no travel adjustment I didnt want to slacken the bike out any more so I went with the 6.6.
    I'm happy with the decision because i have a DH bike as well but If I was building an all purpose bike the marz 66 ETA would be a great fork for this bike. I dont think i would want to go any shorter on the fork travel, the bike feels real balanced with the VAN 36.

I wanted a heavier bike that could climb, all be it slowely, but the priority was confidence and descending. I also didnt want to over lap the capabilities of the demo 9 (marz 888, single ring etc- 44lbs). At this point I wouldnt change a thing (unless they start offering anodized frames).
    I would like to try a coil shock but dont see it being worth the money or the weight at this point, no complaints with air shock.

Notes on Build and Components
    - Current weight, 33.25lbs
    - Chain slap is an issue. I shortened the chain and extended the chain stay guard all the way to the pivot ( see photo's- 2)
    - Brake line rubs on pivot link when run through it, the inside edge is pretty sharp so I used velcro to prevent rub (see photo-3)
    - Cables rub on seat stay so I've added tape.(photo -3)
    - El Camino brakes with 8 inch in front are great and enough stopping power.
    - Flush head set kept the head angle down a little but not a neccesity.
    - Hone front derailer touchs frame slightly at full bottom out when in Granny gear. Eventually i will dremmel off a few mm's.
    - Diablos bars and cranks definately worth the added weight- the bike feels solid and low when descendind and super stiff, no noticable deflection at all.
    - Goodrich brake line work extremely well.
    - Still figuring out air shock levels. currently 190lbs in main and 125 in boost. (i'm 155lbs)
    - Sram XO triggers are smooth and precise. very easy to tune and make minor adjustments. Works great right out of box.
    - WTB pure saddle extremely comfortable.
    - 70mm thomson stem shortened the Medium cockpit by 20 mm ( I'm 5'9") and the frame is shorter than ID by an inch. The 2 inch shorter cockpit improves descending while still allowing the bike to hadle tight switch backs with ease, I'm happy with that decision.
    - water bottle holder is only used for night ride light but I cant imagine it would be very accesable during a ride.
    Thomson X4 stem and elite seat post deliver as promised
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by matthew; 02-13-2006 at 06:47 PM.
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

aka...appBLING72

NICE Build!

I think we have similiar taste. I just posted mine here as well. I have had it almost 2 months and love it. The Cane Creek Shock makes this bike sing on decents. Check it out here

Intense 6.6

TC3
    mtbr member
    You rode this baby up to Mt. Lowe (from JPL) yet?
    I am just curious how 6.6 handles the long climb.
    Used to do it with my 5.5 and wanted more travel on the way down
    Let's do the loop after I receive my frame & CCDB

suspension whore
    I usually car pool from jpl to mallaerd when finishing on el prieto.
    Did the climb from Mallard to upper merril last sunday in the mid winter heat wave.
    I felt the extra weight at the end of the 8 miles but was indeed worth it for the descent.
    This is the trail I do about once a week so i built this ride for that trail- worth every extra pound and still able to handle the switch backs. Didnt clean the whole thing but close.
    Always happy to find new people to do this ride with, I'm usually doing it with my ipod as company so thw will stars to lessen by the time I hit the upper camp ground/ hotel site.
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Matthew

I've just built an Intense 6.6.

I take it your Thomson seatpost is 367mm long?

Are you able to put it all the way down in the frame?

aka...appBLING72

Seatpost?

Quote Originally Posted by Chiz
    Matthew

I've just built an Intense 6.6.

I take it your Thomson seatpost is 367mm long?

Are you able to put it all the way down in the frame?

Neither my Thomson or my Race Face were able to go all the way in. My race Face post is pretty much mauled to the point where the black anodizing has almost been rubbed off. I have a gravity dropper now, so it doesn't matter, but the seat tube has been an issue on some of the Intense bikes. No matter though because it still rides like a scalded banshee.

suspension whore
    "seat post length?"
    "Are you able to drop it all the way down in the frame?"

The seat post started off at 380mm or 400mm.?
    Either way i cut it down before I left the shop.
    I figured out my optimal ride height and cut the tube too top out at the little window on the back of the seat tube.
    Then we applied a lot of grease and tried to drop the seat.
    At first it only dropped a couple of inches but there were no burs or gouges so we kept applying drease and working it down further ( take or post collar for this part).

Now with my seat post 300mm long it drops all the way down to the seat although you have to work it to get it to drop that far.

I probably cut off a little too much seat post, the bikes sag surprised me .Now no one taller than me will be able to get the right climbing height if i loan my bike out. Luckily I had left 30mm as safety ( use sit on bike method to measure, not measuring from B/B and comparing to old bike like I did )

hope that helps
    Last edited by matthew; 02-15-2006 at 11:28 AM.
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    I've ridden about 80 miles so I figured it was time to post a report on the new 6.6 build.
    In short I'm loving it - its a proficient climber and a confidence inspiring descender.

By way of back ground
    - the 6.6 is replacing an Ellsworth ID with a Marz AM1.
    - I already own a Demo 9 for shuttle or lift sessions so this is my XC / All mountain bike.
    - My local trail involves an 8 mile climb with over 3000 feet of fire road climbing followed by 8 miles of rocky technical single track.

The 6.6 feels super plush and the travel is deep with a very late ramp up / bottom out. I was nervous about giving up my coil but the fox dhx air is pretty sweet. I have the pro pedal turned way down so there is no harsh top end or platform that to compromise small bump sensetivity. Even with no propedal it climbs with no bob in the seated position.
    Compared to the 3+ lb lighter ID, the 6.6 is just as efficient and smooth on flats. On the trail in granny gear there is a slight feeling of chain tension but less of a feeling of front wheel wander. I feel the weight at the end of the climb but not during it.
    The Fox 36 VAN has the same axel to crown as the AM1 with 10mm more travel but no travel adjustment- I was worried about the bikes ability to climb but its not a problem- the flush head set looks just slightly steeper than the AM1 at full travel but the fox is sticking to the ground with a lot less wander.

When it comes to descending the added weight of the frame, build and fork (approx 4 lbs) makes a huge difference. The bike feels solid and responsive and definately inspires confidence, some thing the ID failed to do with its light weight build and higher bottom bracket.
    I wanted this bike to have a ride "feel" like my demo 9 with out the weight penalty and it does. I wont have any qualms about taking this bike down anything.

I was also looking at the Nomad which I've yet to ride but I'm sure it is a great bike.
    I've heard people describe the nomad a the "more" freeride bike while the 6.6 is a "more " all mountain bike. I wont dis agree with that statement at this time and I wanted this bike to be more all moutain than free ride in its geometry.
    I went with the 6.6 because I definately wanted a coil/coil forks so I was set on the VAN. With no travel adjustment I didnt want to slacken the bike out any more so I went with the 6.6.
    I'm happy with the decision because i have a DH bike as well but If I was building an all purpose bike the marz 66 ETA would be a great fork for this bike. I dont think i would want to go any shorter on the fork travel, the bike feels real balanced with the VAN 36.

I wanted a heavier bike that could climb, all be it slowely, but the priority was confidence and descending. I also didnt want to over lap the capabilities of the demo 9 (marz 888, single ring etc- 44lbs). At this point I wouldnt change a thing (unless they start offering anodized frames).
    I would like to try a coil shock but dont see it being worth the money or the weight at this point, no complaints with air shock.

Notes on Build and Components
    - Current weight, 33.25lbs
    - Chain slap is an issue. I shortened the chain and extended the chain stay guard all the way to the pivot ( see photo's- 2)
    - Brake line rubs on pivot link when run through it, the inside edge is pretty sharp so I used velcro to prevent rub (see photo-3)
    - Cables rub on seat stay so I've added tape.(photo -3)
    - El Camino brakes with 8 inch in front are great and enough stopping power.
    - Flush head set kept the head angle down a little but not a neccesity.
    - Hone front derailer touchs frame slightly at full bottom out when in Granny gear. Eventually i will dremmel off a few mm's.
    - Diablos bars and cranks definately worth the added weight- the bike feels solid and low when descendind and super stiff, no noticable deflection at all.
    - Goodrich brake line work extremely well.
    - Still figuring out air shock levels. currently 190lbs in main and 125 in boost. (i'm 155lbs)
    - Sram XO triggers are smooth and precise. very easy to tune and make minor adjustments. Works great right out of box.
    - WTB pure saddle extremely comfortable.
    - 70mm thomson stem shortened the Medium cockpit by 20 mm ( I'm 5'9") and the frame is shorter than ID by an inch. The 2 inch shorter cockpit improves descending while still allowing the bike to hadle tight switch backs with ease, I'm happy with that decision.
    - water bottle holder is only used for night ride light but I cant imagine it would be very accesable during a ride.
    Thomson X4 stem and elite seat post deliver as promised
    hey matthew...nice looking rig...I was wondering how you have your fox van set up for your 6.6?

Members who have read this thread: 1