Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Bad experience with Intense customer service

Beware....long rant ahead!

After regreasing the bearings on my Spider I made the rookie mistake of not putting in enough loctite and promptly lost a shoulder bolt and washer on my first ride.

Luckily I have two Intense dealers close to my house so replacing it should be no problem, right? Wrong. Neither shop carries ANY small parts for Intense bikes, I have to go in, order and pay for the part, wait for them to finally get around to ordering the part, then go back in again to pick it up.

Needless to say, neither shop was particularly helpful...because I didn't buy the bike from either of them, their attitude was they'll get around to ordering it when they have time (I know from past experience with them that this can mean days or weeks). Meanwhile I have no bike.

So I call Intense, they tell me I have to go through a dealer, they can't sell me the part (god forbid they GIVE me a silly bolt after buying a $1,800 frame) and refer me to Competitive Cyclist. Well turns out CC sells only a $120 rebuild kit, not the individual bolt.

So another call to Intense...this time they refer me to Excel, who have the bolt but not the washer. An email to Intense about the washer is as yet unreturned after 24 hours.

By way of comparison, when I needed a small part for my wife's Maverick, I made one call to their service department, got a tech on the phone immediately (not a receptionist), and they mailed me the part (a bushing sleeve) for free the same day. Honestly, this is the level of service I expect from a high end manufacturer.

I love my Spider but this experience has soured me on Intense.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i remember i ordered the new lower pivot bolts (with C-clip) from excelsports, which i think the cheapest of all the retailers out there ($15 each). for the washer, if you can't get any, a local hardware store carries it. my friend lost his and we bought some from OSH. don't gripe too much about it, Intense used to sell it directly but i guess right now they lack manpower too handle their CS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Sorry for the trouble

Sorry to hear about this experience. We have been trying to get Intense dealers to stock spare parts for some time.It really is part of being a "dealer" and not just an order taker. Which dealers have you been dealing with? I will speak with them and find out why they were reluctant to help.

Now with flavor!!
    Just an fyi......I'm not sure if they're the same size bolts but a buddy of mine lost one on his socom. He found a standard bolt at a hardware store that matched the thread pitch. I don't know if it's english or metric but he got in in there with a lock washer.

It's not pretty but at least it will get you riding while you wait.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Competitive Cyclist has almost everything in stock. Intense says they are the largest small parts dealer. They are very friendly and knowledgeable.

The drawback: Very high prices. And unless you use 2-day shipping, the part arrived via UPS after 5 business days.

mtbr member

Competitve Cyclist

Competitve Cyclist is truly the best shop around. They have taken really really good care of me. I bought my 6.6 from them and going to get the Slopestyle from them when it is available. I don't think they are overpriced at all. Waiting 5 days via UPS is nothing when your LBS doesn't have them and has to order them anyway...I just bought a King wheelset from them as well as some other stuff. Give them a shout. I promise you will not be disappointed! Send me a PM if you have any questions, but you really can't go wrong with them!

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyrad
    Competitve Cyclist is truly the best shop around. They have taken really really good care of me. I bought my 6.6 from them and going to get the Slopestyle from them when it is available. I don't think they are overpriced at all. Waiting 5 days via UPS is nothing when your LBS doesn't have them and has to order them anyway...I just bought a King wheelset from them as well as some other stuff. Give them a shout. I promise you will not be disappointed! Send me a PM if you have any questions, but you really can't go wrong with them!
    Just do some price comparisons for specific items via the web, and you will see a significant price differential. But maybe higher margins give them the ability to stock items in full and offer better customer service.

As far as shipping, I normally get stuff 1-3 days from most retailers, even out of state ones. It's because they use UPS ground, which tends to be the worst.

mtbr member
    I guess I am willing to pay for great service but to be honest I have never felt that I overpaid for anything. They work with you and give you the best service. Have you spoken to them or just placed an online order? All in all I have dealt with quite a few shops over the years and by far Competitive Cyclist is one of the best. I don't work for them, I have nothing to gain by this, but I just feel they need the credit they deserve.

The real issue is the guy who can not get what he is looking for. You and I could debate this all day. Let's just try to help him get back on his bike!

mtbr member

Not Sure who you spoke with

Typically yes we would prefer to sell complete kits: but.........there are exceptions to everything, if you need the lower bolt, w/ e-clip, call and ask for Eric, i have a kit on my bench, that i sold an individual shoulder bolt out of, and am waiting for more to arrive. I think you got the wrong person on the phone earlier (maybe) The bolts are pricey, $38 ea. plus shipping. eric@competitivecyclist.com
    888-276-5686
    Don't drink it

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    .....But maybe higher margins give them the ability to stock items in full and offer better customer service....

mtbr member

Not to be a wise guy

Not to be a wise guy but before you ride you should give the bike the once over and snug any loose bolts to avoid a problem in the future. I had my bike repaired at the LBC when i got it home i noticed the fork crown bolts had been stolen F&%^& i went to the hardware store and found them there BTW i never went to the LBC again. Another tip keep TWO of everything! Happy trails

Trying a little
    Quote Originally Posted by peligro
    By way of comparison, when I needed a small part for my wife's Maverick, I made one call to their service department, got a tech on the phone immediately
    Maverick would have lots of time to answer the phone.... much smaller setup than Intense. Intense is stuck between being small and being big.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Downhilldoug
    Not to be a wise guy but before you ride you should give the bike the once over and snug any loose bolts to avoid a problem in the future.
    I have to second that. Lost bolts are a sign of bad maintenance. Especially on a new bike all bolts loosen up. So I think it is a little bit unfair to blame Intense for not being able to ride your bike when it was in your hands to avoid that. Remember: this is Pro material that you are buying and it needs Pro maintenance. Have you ever seen how often Pro team mechanics work on the bikes? The bikes get a once over after EVERY DH run

mtbr member
    How is this bad customer service? Because they won't give you a bolt? Or even sell you a bolt? Most manufacturers don't sell direct for many reasons. It's their job to refer you to their dealers. That's the contract they have with them. That's why dealers do such things as buy-ins. And as for giving bolts away.. they're not in the business of giving parts away. A significant part of business is the profits made from maintenance and replacement parts.

Don't be sour at them because the dealers don't happen to stock the part that you need. A part that shouldn't even have fallen out in the first place due to negligence. I'm no Intense advocate. You could replace the name Intense in your thread title with anyother brand and my answer would be the same.

It sucks that you're out for a week or two but I'm sure most people on here can say that they've had down time due to misfortune more than once but they sucked it up and dealt with it. My point is, it could've been prevented and I'm sure you'll never forget Loctite again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    Maverick would have lots of time to answer the phone.... much smaller setup than Intense. Intense is stuck between being small and being big.
    Intense is in a strange middle ground between big and small.

Their customer service should be getting better soon, this week actually. The new customer service guy starts today.
    I'd rather be riding my bike...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    $38.00 for a bolt. no wonder you're being so polite & cooperative
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge
    Nice. He is just trying to help the guy out. Since you have all the answers maybe you can help this guy out.

mtbr member
    Hmmmmm! Was that directed at me? If so I only need to add that if he were one of my customers (purchased frame from us) I would have hooked him up with a free bolt and just covered it on the back end with Intense Trust me I'm far too busy as is to chase a $40 sale.....I merely try to help people out on here.......oh yeah and it's in my spare time.
    Don't drink it

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    interesting thread.

the way i see it intense bikes are like fancy sports cars, like a lotus or a porsche. their parts, no matter how seeming basic (AC control knob) are just more expensive.

intense are exotic bikes with exotic part prices. like exotic cars, it's an expensive game.

it's like people who buy XTR 960 cranks and then complain about the proprietary chainring sizes. XTR is expensive to buy and to upkeep. likewise with intense frames.
    I'm an Inbred...29er that is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    yeah, i can help him out easy. follow shumi's advice & get one @ a hardware store for about 38 cents. 1% of the offer from the guy not looking to chase a $38 deal in his spare time just trying to help the poor guy out.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    yeah, i can help him out easy. follow shumi's advice & get one @ a hardware store for about 38 cents. 1% of the offer from the guy not looking to chase a $38 deal in his spare time just trying to help the poor guy out.
    WOW- so it's like that.......normally I would refrain from commenting any further...I couldn't help myself.
    It's like this: a frame that retails for $1800 or more probably has some nice machined hardware, right? Excellent craftsmanship etc.etc. Your comparison in price is a valid point.....I agree, the hardware for Intense frames is expensive, that's why I check my pivots regularly so I don't have to cough up the doe for lack of maintenance.....which would be my own fault. I guess the average person who drives a Ferrari and forgot to park his car in gear and set the e-brake, then his car rolls into a wall and cracks his tail light should probably go to........ Auto Zone? .......and cut cost a bit......maybe something from a Pontiac would cross over I mean that would be logical right? Especially since Ferrari wouldn't "send" him a free tail light . Intense bikes are expensive for a reason, they are made in house (and so are those $38 bolts) then those same bolts are sent off to get anodized after being CNC'd, price then gets pretty high. The cost per batch for anodizing parts can be expensive, usually there is a batch charge, good quality shops start at about $75 per batch.
    Don't drink it

mtbr member

You go boy.........

Quote Originally Posted by E2@CC
    WOW- so it's like that.......normally I would refrain from commenting any further...I couldn't help myself.
    It's like this: a frame that retails for $1800 or more probably has some nice machined hardware, right? Excellent craftsmanship etc.etc. Your comparison in price is a valid point.....I agree, the hardware for Intense frames is expensive, that's why I check my pivots regularly so I don't have to cough up the doe for lack of maintenance.....which would be my own fault. I guess the average person who drives a Ferrari and forgot to park his car in gear and set the e-brake, then his car rolls into a wall and cracks his tail light should probably go to........ Auto Zone? .......and cut cost a bit......maybe something from a Pontiac would cross over I mean that would be logical right? Especially since Ferrari wouldn't "send" him a free tail light . Intense bikes are expensive for a reason, they are made in house (and so are those $38 bolts) then those same bolts are sent off to get anodized after being CNC'd, price then gets pretty high. The cost per batch for anodizing parts can be expensive, usually there is a batch charge, good quality shops start at about $75 per batch.
    That's it Eric stand up for what you belive in.I couldn't agree with you more.Let them go buy some mass produced cookie cutter stamped out sh!t box from you know who and they will all come back kicking and screaming for a 38$ bolt to put on there high end custom hands on quality craftmanship piece of art of a bike.If you can't hang with the big dogs well than I don't need to tell you the rest now do I.CF.

mtbr member

Speaking of bolts...

..., I have a story, too. Now, I do understand that the bolts are machined in-house, and - as I was told by someone at Intense - the thread pitch is unlike anything you can find at a hardware store (not to mention specific length of the bolt, the threaded part of it, thickness...). So they will be expensive - around $60 here in Canada .
    One of these bolts on my Spider cracked right in the middle of the threaded part as I was checking for tightness. The bike was making strange noises and I was suspecting it's coming from the pivot area. Now I know it was most likely a crack that began forming in the hollow bolt.

What I don't understand is this: why did I have to pay for the new bolt (which is solid now - surprise, surprise), when it's a known issue, and in the last few years I remember reading here on numerous occassions about people breaking thee bolts and that Intense was replacing them free of charge? If "bolts are not a warranty item", as I was told, then why so many people got new, solid bolts free of charge? Especially that the new, solid bolt proves that Intense recognized that there was something wrong with the hollow ones?

Arek

mtbr member
    Related: A number of years ago I sold a Ducati to a friend for around $5,000. He called me a bit later outraged that an oil filter was $13. He wanted to wash out the old with gas and reuse it. I pointed out $13 was a small expense to properly maintain an expensive piece of equipment. Don't know if he coughed up the $13. Next I heard his chain had broken and put a hole in the crankcase. Machines need maintenance. Expensive machines use expensive parts. Compared to $6 for popcorn at the movies the $38 bolt is a steal.

mtbr member

I like analogy...nm

Quote Originally Posted by jennasdad View Post
    Related: A number of years ago I sold a Ducati to a friend for around $5,000. He called me a bit later outraged that an oil filter was $13. He wanted to wash out the old with gas and reuse it. I pointed out $13 was a small expense to properly maintain an expensive piece of equipment. Don't know if he coughed up the $13. Next I heard his chain had broken and put a hole in the crankcase. Machines need maintenance. Expensive machines use expensive parts. Compared to $6 for popcorn at the movies the $38 bolt is a steal.
    I like this anlogy....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast