Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I like the chain guard you have. Great build, love my Tracer.

Not Bad

Back in the fold with a Tracer 275!

Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate it. 😊

Well after 6 months of building this bike up nice and slowly I am pleased to say that it was finally finished today and here is the end result:

I took the bike out for a quick shake down about an hour ago and I am really impressed, the VPP feels like home to me, especially now I've been able to dial things just how I like them. I think that by taking my time over the build, I've been able to really think about how I wanted my setup to end up being. The bike just seems FAST!

The end weight came out at 30.1 lbs which is where I expected it to be really.

mtbr member
    Turned out fantastic. Do the alloy models use the press fit bb as well?

Not Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboardorblade View Post
    Turned out fantastic. Do the alloy models use the press fit bb as well?
    No, thankfully for me they are the standard screw in type. Glad you like it, thanks.

mtbr member
    Nice. It's too bad so many carbon frames are press fit. Did you happen to weigh just the frame or the frame and shock?

Not Bad
    I did but it was a while back, I think it was mid to high 7's.

JTB
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just J, great bike. How does it compare to your SB95?

Not Bad
    Thanks JTB, glad you like it.

It's really early days yet but initial impressions are the kind of things you'd expect really, the Yeti monsters over the trail like nothing else, it really is a fast A-Z all rounder. However when it gets steep or twisty the Tracer just knuckles down and wants to play, it is more manouverable than the Yeti.

The Tracer is harder to keep the momentum up, again as expected of the smaller wheels. It's also a lot plusher than the Yeti, my one small gripe with the SB95c is it's small bump compliance, considering both bikes use the same shock (although the Tracer has a longer stroke) the Tracer soaks everything up whereas the Yeti can feel a little harsh on smaller stutters etc after a while in the saddle. However, the Yeti does peddle slightly better, it weighs 28.1 lbs compared to the Tracer's 30.1 though.

I have an 140mm Pike on the front of the Yeti which is as long as I'd want to run on the bike, I have found that the Tracer has less wander than it on climbs which surprised me to be honest as it has 160mm Xfusion Sweeps.

Both bikes run the Hope Tech Enduro wheels with Bontrager XR4 tyres (2.30 on the Yeti, 2.35 on the Intense), I did this on purpose as I wanted to test them pretty much back to back.

I run the same saddle on each bike (Bontrager Evoke Ti on the Tracer and Carbon on the Yeti), Raceface finishing kit (same dimension bars, 50mm Atlas on the Tracer and 60mm Turbine on the Yeti), Reverb, Hope vs XT brakes, XO1 on the Yeti and 1x10 XTR with 42T cassette ring on the Tracer.

The Tracer's XT Brakes are by far the best brakes I've tried, so much better than the Hope's on the Yeti. The XO1 gears vs the XTR seem as good as each other to be honest, obviously there's an extra gear on the Yeti, but I'm happy with both set ups.

I've noticed a bit of pedal feedback on the Tracer when peddling over square edged rocks, kerbs etc, a trait of VPP though. The Yeti doesn't have this.

The Tracer fits me slightly better than the SB95c, I'm at that awkward 5'11" height where I can ride either a medium or large, although I always choose to go large, for instance the medium Tracer that I tested in 2012 was far too small for me. But the slightly shorter seat tube, better stand over height and shorter top tube of the Tracer seem a nicer fit and don't have me feeling on occasions like I can't get the seat down low enough like I feel on the Yeti when the trails go really steep. This could also be helped by the fact that the Reverb Stealth on the Intense has an 150mm drop compared to 125mm on the Yeti, so I can have slightly less exposed seat post.

When I bought the Tracer I feared that there would be a fair amount of overlap in the two bikes, but I put this into consideration when setting up the new bike, I wanted the longer travel forks, shorter stem, wasn't too worried about the weight and wanted to use it for general playing in my local woods that I visit most weekends that are pretty steep and gnarly (Danny Hart's local trails!), so I had a firm vision in which way I wanted to use both bikes and I'm happy to say that it's worked out how I wanted it to.

The Yeti will be my go to bike for big rides and for going as fast as possible across country.

The Intense is my play bike and the one that'll get ridden hard without fear of the carbon fibre (I know this is silly but it rarely leaves my mind that I'm riding a carbon fibre bike when roosting the Yeti!). Of course the Tracer could still go on these rides, but my bikes all have clearly defined roles in my quiver, but it's good to have options.

It's good to be able to test both wheel sizes out, I was surprised that I didn't seem to have to adjust very much from going between the 29 and 27.5 wheels.

JTB
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks J, awesome write up! The reason I asked is I have the SB95 but ahve been looking at the Tracer as well (the carbon version though) - always liked Intense bikes. I only had the SB for a couple months after a 8 year hiatus from MTB though. I love the bike, but am wondering what 27.5 would feel like...

I live in NYC and ride the local north east trails: everything is narrow, twisty and super technical - rocks everywhere, not much flow... So my riding is mostly at low speeds and sometimes I feel like I'm struggling to manouver the bike through all the rocky swtchbacks... I only had it for so long though, so still getting used to it and learning how it rides.

I do like the suspension on the SB95 though, one of big surprises for me was how well it climbs, even under power, with limited bob.

Not Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by JTB View Post
    Thanks J, awesome write up! The reason I asked is I have the SB95 but ahve been looking at the Tracer as well (the carbon version though) - always liked Intense bikes. I only had the SB for a couple months after a 8 year hiatus from MTB though. I love the bike, but am wondering what 27.5 would feel like...

I live in NYC and ride the local north east trails: everything is narrow, twisty and super technical - rocks everywhere, not much flow... So my riding is mostly at low speeds and sometimes I feel like I'm struggling to manouver the bike through all the rocky swtchbacks... I only had it for so long though, so still getting used to it and learning how it rides.

I do like the suspension on the SB95 though, one of big surprises for me was how well it climbs, even under power, with limited bob.
    No problem!

Well the SB95's strengths are climbing and high speed flow so I'm totally with you on this, in some instances the bike can be a little bit of a handful under certain situations, my Trek Stache feels a little quicker in the twisters but I'd kind of put this down to the longer forks on the Yeti.

This is my 8th Intense and to be honest the bike does feel like home to me, there are areas that I would miss my big wheels far too much though so at the moment the Yeti is a keeper too.

My friend who owns the local Intense/Yeti/Trek dealer currently has a T275 carbon, I'll be having a ride of it soon, who knows, maybe this bike will be the best of both worlds?!

JTB
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Let me know how the T275 feels... It's getting great reviews and looks awesome (although at the price the Factory build should really come with the new Enve wheels, not the outgoing model...)

The just anounced SB5c looks interesting too... Decisions, decisions!

Not Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by JTB View Post
    Let me know how the T275 feels... It's getting great reviews and looks awesome (although at the price the Factory build should really come with the new Enve wheels, not the outgoing model...)

The just anounced SB5c looks interesting too... Decisions, decisions!
    Yes the SB5c does look good but wouldn't have me swapping either of my bikes for one.

I'm not in a rush to ride the T275 but just as soon as I do I'll let you know my thoughts for sure. I have a race in a couple of weeks so right now I'm deciding whether to ride the Yeti or the Intense. First world problems! Lol

mtbr member
    It's been a few more weeks, any updates to your initial impressions?

Not Bad

Ahem... About that... I kinda sold the bike 2 weeks ago whilst it was still retaining it's value. After a few more miles I found that although the bike felt great, I just preferred the way my Yeti felt as an all rounder.

Please note that this is no slight on the Intense, it's just I preferred the suspension and wheel size of the Yeti. I think the Tracer basically had more travel than I needed and also was a bit heavier than ideal for my kind of riding. I don't think the wheel size played as much in the decision as I expected it to, the added travel obviously helped there but I just like my bikes to feel snappier, lighter and more spritely.

Still an awesome bike, just one that ultimately didn't have the place I was looking for it to take in my quiver.

Not Bad

Everything written by myself on the Tracer stands though, just with a bit of familiarity helped me make a decision that I would ride the Yeti far more hence cutting it loose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2