Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Any One Get Their Carbine 29er Yet?

I'm thinking of ordering one, but not sure what size to get

Please post some pics of yours with size(yourself and bike) and weight

Also tell us how much you love and that I need to get one!
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    I'm thinking of ordering one, but not sure what size to get

Please post some pics of yours with size(yourself and bike) and weight

Also tell us how much you love and that I need to get one!
    I am in the process of building mine up, but will have to wait for the rear wheel to be sent back to me. I had to have Easton change the hub to 12x142. I'm 6'1" and weigh just under 200#. I demo'd this bike at Dealer Camp in Park City, and was so impressed that I bought one. Can't wait to get it completed, and put it through it's paces.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottandhisdog View Post
    I am in the process of building mine up, but will have to wait for the rear wheel to be sent back to me. I had to have Easton change the hub to 12x142. I'm 6'1" and weigh just under 200#. I demo'd this bike at Dealer Camp in Park City, and was so impressed that I bought one. Can't wait to get it completed, and put it through it's paces.
    thanks scott, can't wait to hear how you like it.

What size did you get?

I ride a large carbine 275 with 50mm stem and love the way it rides. I would like to recreate the way it rides and handles with the 29er.

I heard that the 29er doesn't climb that well? any truth to that?

thanks, and post some pictures will ya

Bikes!
    My local Intense dealer got his today. He's just starting his build but it certainly looks good!

mtbr member

Re: Any One Get Their Carbine 29er Yet?

Sorry, forgot to tell you that it's a large. I'm using the Pike 150mm, as they don't sell the pike 160 to anyone except as OEM to manufactures.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Anyone ever get any definitive info on whether this is a new frame or a dropout conversion? If it's just a drop out change I'd be interested in looking into it for my spider comp.

mtbr member
    Drop out and rear shock are the differences I believe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I received mine a couple of weeks ago and have put a couple hundred miles on it so far. I'm just under 5'10" 175lbs with 33" inseam. I got a large and put a 50mm stem on it. It feels good to me but I like larger feeling bikes. This is my first 29er and so far I'm really liking it. It's crazy how much better it rolls over rocks and roots. I have a flat rocky technical section that always caused me to dab in a few spots with my old bike (spec enduro evo expert). I was able to ride it without dabbing the first time I rode it with this bike. I have been on vacation for over a week so I haven't had much of a chance to ride trails that I'm familiar with to do a fair comparison to my old bike but I hope to get out there in the next couple of days to do some riding.

mtbr member
    I got the Large frame and will start off with a 65mm stem, and 750mm bars. I'm basically pulling everything off my Giant Anthem X29er that I had (friggen noodle)....drivetrain & brakes, Easton Haven wheels, KS LEV, and handlebar and stem. I'm waiting on Easton to return the wheelset with the new 12x142 spacing, then I can continue to build it up. I'm going on my honeymoon next week, and we're heading to Gooseberry for some riding. Too bad this bike won't be completed in time, so the El Guapo will have to do. Hope to finish it when I get back, and then maybe a trip to Moab for it's inaugural ride. By then Park City will probably have too much snow to test it here locally.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Just finished a few rides on the bike! Mammoth Mountain in California and Gooseberry Mesa in Utah. I am 5ft 9' and have a medium complete bike. I have the pike 160mm..

Bike feels VERY STABLE at speed, almost like a dh bike. Pedals very much like the carbon 27.5. With bigger tires you do feel the extra tire tread rotation weight.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

mtbr member
    Ok guys you had some time on your Carbine(at lest I hope you have)
    give us input please
    and pics
    and video

mtbr member
    I'm still waiting for Easton to ship my wheel back. I also received the wrong chain guide, so the proper one is on the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Yes, and ridden around 10 times.

Yes, and ridden around 10 times.

Local trails in Lake Tahoe, Nevada and Gooseberry Mesa.

Feels like a mini DH bike that still pedals well. Any One Get Their Carbine 29er Yet?-2014-intense-carbine-29-black-rock-bicycles-reno-tahoe-2-.jpgAny One Get Their Carbine 29er Yet?-2014-intense-carbine-29-black-rock-bicycles-reno-tahoe-3-.jpgAny One Get Their Carbine 29er Yet?-2014-intense-carbine-29-black-rock-bicycles-reno-tahoe-4-.jpgAny One Get Their Carbine 29er Yet?-2014-intense-carbine-29-black-rock-bicycles-reno-tahoe-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here are a few shots of mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any One Get Their Carbine 29er Yet?-carbine16.jpg  

Any One Get Their Carbine 29er Yet?-carbine15.jpg  

Any One Get Their Carbine 29er Yet?-carbine14.jpg  

Any One Get Their Carbine 29er Yet?-2013-10-28_17-23-48_603.jpg  

Last edited by ktmben; 10-28-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: .

I fix your broken ****!
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmben View Post
    RAD. Going to share one on our facebook page if ya dont mind?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-IntenseCustServ View Post
    Right on. The top three pics are from Wy and the bottom pic is a couple of miles from my house in CDA, ID

mtbr member
    Hey Curtiso and Ben, great looking bikes. Looks like your bikes are the XO1 build, what are they weighting? What sizes did you get? Seems like everyone says that they are great going down hill. but just ok climbing?

mtbr member
    Hay Sam, how much time have you spent on the 29er? I would have ordered my but can't decide on size. My large carbine fits me great, I think a large 29er will be to big

I fix your broken ****!
    Hay Sam, how much time have you spent on the 29er? I would have ordered my but can't decide on size. My large carbine fits me great, I think a large 29er will be to big
    Spent quite a bit of time on the Carbine 29er now. I'm 6'1 and prefer the medium, and generally stick to medium on all of our 29ers. I do jump up to a large for 275's and DH bikes though. Just prefer the smaller fit on the 29ers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hey Curtiso and Ben, great looking bikes. Looks like your bikes are the XO1 build, what are they weighting? What sizes did you get? Seems like everyone says that they are great going down hill. but just ok climbing?
    I'm just under 5'10" and got a large and put a 50mm stem on it. It feels really good to me but I spend a lot of time on 240lb dirt bikes so I like my bicycles on the larger size. I have no idea what it weighs but I can tell you it's a lot lighter than the enduro evo that I'm coming off of.

mtbr member
    Spent quite a bit of time on the Carbine 29er now. I'm 6'1 and prefer the medium, and generally stick to medium on all of our 29ers. I do jump up to a large for 275's and DH bikes though. Just prefer the smaller fit on the 29ers.
    Thanks Sam, I'm also 6'1". What stem are you running on your 275 and 29er?
    I have a 50mm stem and 780 bars on mine. My last few DH bikes have been Med,
    I'm thinking of turning my M9 27.5

I fix your broken ****!
    Thanks Sam, I'm also 6'1". What stem are you running on your 275 and 29er?
    I have a 50mm stem and 780 bars on mine. My last few DH bikes have been Med,
    I'm thinking of turning my M9 27.5
    Running a 65mm stem on the 29er and 50mm on the 275. Will probably switch to 50mm soon for the 29er. 780mm bars on both bikes.

mtbr member
    Running a 65mm stem on the 29er and 50mm on the 275. Will probably switch to 50mm soon for the 29er. 780mm bars on both bikes.
    Thanks, I hoped on my friends tracer 275 med, he has a 50mm stem. It didn't feel overly small, but that was just in the parking lot.

Which bike do you think climbs better? We have great DHs around here, lots I wish I had my M9 for, but we have to climb to get to them, lots of wet roots and rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmben View Post
    By the way, beautiful pics. Thanks for posting. Looks like a great place to ride!

mtbr member
    I've got mine mostly completed, but I'm waiting on the CCDB Air rear shock. I have been running that shock on my Titus El Guapo, and love the tune ability of it.

My only frustration is that I attempted to mount a MRP 2x for a chain guide, with XT cranks running 24/38 rings. I had this 2x10 drivetrain, without the chain guide, on a Giant Anthem X, but it was way too XC for my tastes. I want this bike to be able to handle all day rides, in any terrain. It comes with a 1x11 on the complete builds, but that's not ideal for the riding here in Utah. The drop from the 42-36 just feels huge, and it was difficult for me to fine tune my cadence during extended climbs when I demo'd one. Here's the dilemma, that guide doesn't play well with the lower link on VPP designs. I have read that some people have modified the boomerang of the guide by grinding away material, so it doesn't interfere with the link. I tried running all different sized spacers to get clearance for the boomerang, but then you have to space out the crank set, which really messes up the chainline.

I guess where I'm frustrated is that it was advertised as having ISCG-05 tabs for mounting a chain guide. Why go through all the development of engineering those tabs, when it not likely that someone will be able to mount a chainguide due to the VPP linkage? Just for advertising purposes, so it sounds more badass than it is?

I will tell you though, that Andrew at Intense, has been great about responding to emails regarding the build. So, I am impressed with them as a company, and the product is otherwise built great. They run guides inside the frame, so running cables internally was super easy. Now, that's great engineering!
    I am running a Shimano XT Shadow Plus, so that will provide some chain retention, but it does nothing for adding protection to the chainrings. I may find a bashguard, and use the Bionicon C-Guide for additional retention.

I'll post up pics when it's fully completed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast