mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Angular contact bearings for original VPP

The next time I have to replace the bearings in my spider xvp I'm wondering if I should use the same angular contact bearings as the updated vpp. The new bearings aren't sealed from the inside because of the grease ports but it must be possible to get the same bearing with the inner seal. Has anyone tried this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id169.html

7901 2RS MAX
    The 7901 is a special ANGULAR CONTACT
    version of the 6901 bearing.
    It is only to be used on a hub or other component designed for its usage.
    Orientation and adjustability are factors for consideration when using angular
    contact bearings.

DIMENSIONS .............................................. 12mm x 24mm x 6mm
    SEALS .................................................. .. Dual-lip medium/high contact
    BALL MATERIAL .................................................. .... Chromium Steel
    BALL GRADE .................................................. .............................. 10
    RACES .................................................. .................. Chromium Steel
    APPLICATION .................................................. .... Suspension Pivots
    GREASE ................................. Rock 'n' Roll Super-Web (in most cases)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Did you make this change? I've bought the 7901 for my original spider, but am wondering which way to install the bearing. I have seals on both sides of the bearing, but one side is blue rubber and the other is black. I am pretty sure the black side goes inward, but was curious as to how you oriented your bearing.

Thanks -

mtbr member
    I ran into this a while ago. I tried to contact real world and didn't get a response nor could I find any info searching. I installed the black on the outside but I am not sure I was right. It is working fine for whatever that is worth.

Here is the logic I used to make that decision. My Tracer came with 7001ZS bearings. I went with 70012RS because I don't care for the zirks. The inner race is a different diameter on each side and the black side matched the outer race on the ZS bearings.

Somebody will probably chime in and tell me I am a moron but then we will both know.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Black Seal Out

I just received an email back from Enduro Bearings stating that the black seal on the 7901 and 7001 bearings should face outward to properly preload the bearing. Sounds like your logic worked!

I'm planning to remove the inner bearing seal and install grease fittings on the bike to allow quicker re-greasings. I just need to figure out how to seal up the frame now.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. I feel better having that confirmed.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein