mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Accessing Axles on Spider Comp

I have been tightening my shoulder bolts and the expander bolts on the collets on my lower links. Today I decided to take out the expander bolts and collets on the lower link to remove the axles to clean the pivots and re-torque the axles as well.

I removed the expander bolts on the lower link and have to admit, I am at a loss from here. I do not see how to remove any expander to access the axle like on Santa Cruz's. Can anyone provide me with a quick tutorial on how to remove my axles from step one after I take out the expander bolts? I appreciate the help for what seems like a rather simple task.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Tech Tuesday: Adjust the Pivot Bearings on Any Santa Cruz VPP Suspension - Pinkbike

Here is a great video tutorial on how to take out the collet and access the axle on the Santa Cruz's. Once I take out the bolt, there is no place to put in a 6mm (or other size) allen wrench to loosen and pull out any collet, like at the 1:10 min mark in the video linked above.

Edit:

Lower Link Bolt Removal?

I found the thread above describing the collet system for the aluminum Intense models but the links are different on the carbon versions. I looked for a collet after taking out the silver bolt on the Spider Comp and didn't see any kind of lip I could catch with a screw driver or bolt head (or any collet for that matter). Any help would be appreciated as this fix is making feel like an idiot.

Thanks!
    Last edited by smithrider; 07-14-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Pirate!!!
    I should probably do the same thing. On my tracer you would remove the collet bolt and collet, then insert a 8mm allen in to the same hole that the collet bolt came out of. But I'm not sure about the spider comp yet. I'll try to dig in to it this week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Please let me know what you find. I just can't figure out how to get the darn collet out like described in other threads. I am sure I am just missing something simple here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sometimes the collet gets stuck in the main pivot bolt head due to being dry etc. The best way to remove it is to use an old 5mm allen bolt, reverse it round and insert the head into the collet. Then use a set of pliers/grips on the thread of the bolt to wriggle the collet around and it should come out pretty easy.
    Once this is out you can then get to the 8mm head of the main pivot bolt.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the tip. My problem is I can't see a recess in there to fit the head of the bolt or other tool into to pull the collet out. I tried feeling around in there with a screw driver, allen wrench, and looked in with a flashlight, and I still can't see how one would pull out the collet. I will look again this evening when I get home.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I decided to cut my frustration short and go to the source - Intense. On the comp, they recommended sticking the head of the 5mm collet bolt into the opening of the black collet then gently tap it to the side to break the collet loose. I'll give this a go when I get home tonight. Make sure you re-grease the collet when reinstalling but I guess that part goes without saying.

Thanks to Intense for the time on the phone. Saved me some serious frustration.

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    I decided to cut my frustration short and go to the source - Intense. On the comp, they recommended sticking the head of the 5mm collet bolt into the opening of the black collet then gently tap it to the side to break the collet loose. I'll give this a go when I get home tonight. Make sure you re-grease the collet when reinstalling but I guess that part goes without saying.
    Thanks to Intense for the time on the phone. Saved me some serious frustration.
    Thanks man. Did they tell you torque specs for the main pivot bolts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I was finally able to get the collets out, holy crap those things are in there! I took the screw out and put the head in the head of the collet backwards. I took a rubber mallet and hammered in multiple directions to try to break the collet loose per Intense's recommendation. This did not make it budge in the least, but may have loosened it for my second step. I took an allen wrench (wrapped in a thin rag to prevent gouging) and did find a lip behind the collet. I had to lever the living s*** out of it and it finally popped out. You can't be shy with them, they are really in there.

The other thing was this carbon frame was tougher to realign than my aluminum frames when reinserting the axles. However, the easy fix was a large allen wrench wrapped in the same towel run through the outer rear triangle and inside the axle levering it into place. The one thing I cannot figure it is how you get the axle through the frame without getting any grease on the threads. If anyone has a trick for this, I would love to hear it.

In regards to torque specs, here they are from Intense. Good luck and grease the collets well before you insert them to hopefully make it an easier process the second time around.

Lower link axles (axles themselves inside of the expander bolt) = 60 inch lbs
    Expander bolts on lower axles = 125 inch lbs
    Upper bolts attaching swing link to top tube = 125 inch lbs
    Lower bolts attaching swing link to seat stays = 175 inch lbs
    Shock mounting bolts = 60lbs

Pirate!!!
    Thanks for posting this man. I plan on digging in to mine soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

removing collets

Just pulled my lower linkages out today. Putting an m6 bolt head into the collect recess and smacking it in different angles eventually popped them out. What a PITA! Wish they would add a breach for an Allen key like Santa Cruz did. Thanks for the thread as it helped.

Once off, I fashioned a little spoiler fender for the linkage to cover the gap between rear end and the linkage bar. A little piece of juice bottle zip tied to the linkage. I find I get pebbles stuck in there and they make a hell of a mess and noise.

Pirate!!!
    So,,, I pulled mine apart today also, after I'd removed the 6mm collet bolt I looked inside the collet with a flashlight and noticed that they are threaded for an 8mm push bolt. So I grabbed the nearest 8mm bolt that I had laying around and threaded it into the collet, and it poped right out. Also, after about 100miles the lower pivot bolts were still nice and snug. Good job on a superior product Intense!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What type of grease should I use on the pivots

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Mag1 Multipurpose Marine Grease is what I inject into the bearings. I picked it up at Home Depot. If you are asking about what grease I put on the collet to keep it from sticking, I used finish line synthetic grease.