mtbr member
    Dec 2010

650b Carbine Converted - Loaded Wheels

Just finished my Carbine conversion with a sick wheelset from Loaded Precision. A big thank you to Mike, Johnny, and Anthony over at Loaded. I love their stuff and this new wheelset exceeded my expectations.

650b Carbine Converted - Loaded Wheels-both-small.jpg

Wheels
    I went with their new xlite 650b aluminum rim, new xlite hubs, and bladed spokes. The wheels arrived well packaged with spares for 135mm and 142mm TA rear and QR and 15mm front...along with some spare spokes/nips and skewers for QR.

The front a respectable 810g

650b Carbine Converted - Loaded Wheels-front-small.jpg

The rear at 966g

650b Carbine Converted - Loaded Wheels-rear-small.jpg

Nice machining on the hub

650b Carbine Converted - Loaded Wheels-detail-small.jpg

Bike
    Mounted these bad boys up on my Carbine with some Hans Dampfs and I must say I'm super-stoked! The wheels were light and stiff. I was coming from a more downhill oriented wheelset Mavic EX823 rims on Hope Hubs, so I lost about 1.5 lbs with these new wheels

650b Carbine Converted - Loaded Wheels-bike1-small.jpg

Ride

First ride video here...

Intense Carbine 650b Loaded Wheels - China Camp - YouTube

The Carbine converted to 650b feels awesome. I can't believe how natural it feels. Yes it feels "bigger", but not at all like the RIP9 29er that I tried out a while back. On the RIP9, my toes kept rubbing the front tire when turning...something I would probably get used to, but not at all an issue with the converted Carbine. The 650b does feel a little more sluggish on the climbs, but not much at all and only on the steeper ones. It brought the bottom bracket up a bit which felt "necessary" for me...I could suddenly pedal through some of the rock gardens on my local loop. The descents felt great, not at all much different than my 26".

EK2K

mtbr member
    Very nice job she's a beauty. I'm toying with the idea for my T2 but would like to hear some feedback first. Looks fantastic though and I bet it's a terror on the trail too. Nice!

mtbr member
    Hey EK, where did you find the Loaded wheels in 650b? I only see 26 and 29 options on their site. I've heard good things about the company and would like to take a look.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post
    Hey EK, where did you find the Loaded wheels in 650b? I only see 26 and 29 options on their site. I've heard good things about the company and would like to take a look.
    Sorry for the late reply, email notifications on thread replies weren't coming through.

Call them at 760.789.9513

They haven't updated their website yet as they just got a huge shipment of their new products. Ask for their xlite hubs and rims, much lighter than their signature series.

EK2K