Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    suspension whore

6.6 V's 6.6 slope style- owner ride reports?

Owners- how are the bikes riding?
    I'd love to here from anybody that stripped their 6.6 and moved all the components onto their new 6.6 SS, or someone that was able to do a fair side by side comparison.
    ( you know, like the sort of "compare and contrast" reports that the homers put together on the turner forum)
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

mtbr member
    My migration includes 6.6 air to coil and then to SS, so it should be something interesting if I can put them in the sentences well (sorry obviously English as second language, so).

I'm waiting for my SS frame since the LBS had only 150mm hub space version in stock, not 135mm, but I'm hoping I can get my SS frame soon.
    Full filled with 6.6 then migrating to Slope Style for more. "Intense Slope Style Central"

RJN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i made the move from 6.6 to ss, mainly after snapping the 6.6!
    to me they feel very very differant bikes, the whole suspension set up just feels differant, main differance to me was the 6.6 was a very capable all rounder that had limits, the SS feels like it wants to be pushed well past the riders limits!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Climbing

I think it is clear that the SS will clearly descend better than the 6.6 unless the going gets tight. The one thing that concerns me is the loss of climbing and single track ability along with being able to do the five to six hour rides. Any comments on the SS compared to the 6.6 in these areas would be appreciated!

suspension whore
    Quote Originally Posted by RJN
    i made the move from 6.6 to ss, mainly after snapping the 6.6!
    to me they feel very very differant bikes
    Thanks RJN- I was hoping there was some like you out there.
    Do you have a travel adjust/ lock down type fork?.
    I lust after a 6.6 for the down's but I dont want to give up my coil/coil combo that works great on the up's (fox 36 VAN rc).

Can you notice the lower leverage ratio?
    How about the beefier rear end?
    Are you feeling a weight penalty climbing or is it the angles that decrease it's "climability?
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

RJN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i had exactly the same kit on both

and

i always rode the 6.6 as a heavy build, if i did anything to go XC long trail rides 30 milers, i would swap wheel sets, from 2.5 super tacky 729, to 2.3 321's, that made more differance than i needed, but still the SS doesnt make me feel like i would want to crack that sort of distance on it, it would be more than capable, but if i was riding an out and out xc trail i would take my hardtail, for something that i knew had a ton of great stuff on the way down it would be the SS all the way, i could probably do with a longer seat post so i can get it higher, but with the current one all the way up the frame just feels a bit tight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i always rode the 6.6 as a heavy build, if i did anything to go XC long trail rides 30 milers, i would swap wheel sets, from 2.5 super tacky 729, to 2.3 321's, that made more differance than i needed, but still the SS doesnt make me feel like i would want to crack that sort of distance on it, it would be more than capable, but if i was riding an out and out xc trail i would take my hardtail, for something that i knew had a ton of great stuff on the way down it would be the SS all the way, i could probably do with a longer seat post so i can get it higher, but with the current one all the way up the frame just feels a bit tight.
    so you're saying it's not really XC friendly?

and

just outta curiosity how much smaller is the SS frame overall compared to your 6.6
    I've only seen one comparison but really look good

RJN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    kind of, but a lot of that is probably due to the way mine is built, full saint kit, 729's, 2.5 supertacky high rollers, etc etc, i reckon it could be, but for me i think i would need the next size up for XC, which would then spoil it on DH. but i am sure there are people on here that do long treks on them just not sure my fitness or inclination would allow it!

but then its all XC isnt it!

mtbr member
    I think it's going to be a lot to do with what fork and rear shock you put it on.
    If you get something like AMSL1 in the front and Roco TSTR then it still remains snappy while you have the TST turned towards lock side (and you can even lock it when you need it). When suspensions don't suck up, it makes great difference on pedaling.

Say, there are a lot of people go up the mountains with close to full downhill bikes with some forks that has travel adjustment and shorten it to climb up then do full downhilling/freeriding down. SS with AMSL1 would be no problem going up, just not as fast as XC bike, then it would be awesome for coming down (of course not as supple as full downhill bike).

6.6 with roco tstr coil and 66rc2x was fine if the head angle wasn't that steep, no conflict with the shoulder/downtube ( I actually didin't mind the BB height because my Stab Primo 2001 was a lot higher). So, changing the frame from 6.6 to SS would solve the head angle issue, BB height issue if you care, and the shoulder/downtube issue. SS with 66rc2x would be awesome when I go to downhill park, then with AMSL1, I could ride it everyday and do some allmountain ridings.

Also, I was riding 5.5 everyday. Moving to 6.6 with AMSL1 shortened, I didn't have much problem adjusting.
    Full filled with 6.6 then migrating to Slope Style for more. "Intense Slope Style Central"

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    One check your pm box, and again none of those dudes in those vids are me (lol)
    RJN what size are you on, that's a huge prob for me, my LBS owner says go with the small because I'm 5'8" but alot of people are happy on the medium, I mean the top tube is 1" longer but I have long arms so I am stuck on a decision.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gray bishop
    One check your pm box, and again none of those dudes in those vids are me (lol)
    RJN what size are you on, that's a huge prob for me, my LBS owner says go with the small because I'm 5'8" but alot of people are happy on the medium, I mean the top tube is 1" longer but I have long arms so I am stuck on a decision.
    I'm 5'7" and on a medium.
    Don't drink it

RJN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i am 5'11 and on a medium, so probably on the borderline, but i bought the frame and really wanted to chuck it around so am happy with it completely, i love it too bits, since having it 2/3 months my riding has really notched up

This pic makes it look like i am riding a bmx with big wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    silly question:
    besides the inch in the top tube are there any other visual differences between the medium and the small?
    I'm asking only because of the way the 6.6 small looks compared to the medium
    and the way the nomad small to medium visual differences appear

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i am 5'7" and thinkin of gettin a medium 6.6 frame. I wonder what is the difference besides the longer tt. Would it affect DH and trail riddin on the medium frame?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    on a side note you dudes dont know how cool it is to actually be around other dudes in my height range all talking about Intense 6.6's

I'd grown accustomed to MTBR.com being Clysedale.com

RJN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i feel like a positive giant!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i feel like a positive giant!
    that's right

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey Mattew - here’s my scoop for you:

I loved my 6.6 but it got fatally wounded and had to be put down. I replaced it with the SS.

What I loved about the 6.6 was that it was indeed very versatile - a real 'jack of all trades' but certainly - a master of none. It was light-ish (33lbs), climbed well and descended quite well. You could do just about anything on it – but it really did nothing brilliantly. The suspension action in the rear was very smooth and while it did wallow in the mid-stroke – it could be set-up to almost eliminate that feel. However, there are several things I didn’t like about it: the head angle was too steep, the bb too high, the wheel-base too short. These three things led to it being a very average cornering bike and made it feel pretty sketchy when the going got either very fast or very steep. The rear end of the bike is a total noodle too. When pulling all the bits off the frame to put on my SS – I discovered that the head tube had a 1.5cm crack in it which I wasn't impressed by. That all sounds negative but I actually loved the bike and had a blast riding it. It's very flickable.

I really like the SS now that the rear suspension is breaking in and I have the set-up figured out. Here are the main differences:
    The SS frame is almost 2 lbs heavier and yes, I can totally feel it on climbs. But almost a whole pound is due to the coil shock. The other pound is almost certainly the rear end which is much burlier and much stiffer than the 6.6 which you can feel in the way the bike tracks.

The SS pedals very well. I would go so far as to say it pedals better than the 6.6 unless you were running the air shock on it pumped up very hard. You can ride the SS with almost no pro-pedal and have very little bob. That said, the linkage is waaay more progressive and definitely ramps up. This is great for big hits / drops / jumps but to me, it feels quite a bit harsher than my 6.6 did over high speed roots and medium size rocks where the 6.6 was butter.

Cornering:
    The SS corners a LOT better than the 6.6 and the combination of the slack h/a and lower bb and longer wheel base make the whole package a lot more stable and confidence inspiring when the going gets gnarly. You feel like you’re sitting ‘in’ rather than ‘on top’ of it.

Climbing:
    To my great surprise, the SS climbs 95% as well as the 6.6. It really feels like the front end is quite a bit lower on the SS which, given the slacker h/a, it probably is. This helps to keep the front wheel down which, while it does wander a little more, tracks well. You will need a loooong seat post. I am 6ft and run a 410 mm post with a one inch setback. On the 6.6 I ran no set back – so with the different post the reach feels about the same. Without it – it would feel too cramped for me.

I hope this helps with your decision making. Feel free to ask me more questions. Over all I am as happy with the SS as I was with the 6.6 – just for different reasons.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hey gravityfreaky,
    did you run a air or coil spring on your 6.6? I would imagine the ss feeling a lot plusher than the 6.6 even with a more progressive linkage. I'm surprised you report the opposite. Finally, what size frame was your 6.6 / is your ss? I am 6ft myself and currently own a medium 6.6. I could have written your lines regarding that bike that's why I'm considering the ss. I'd rather got for a large since the TT is even a tad shorter ...

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi Zuzi,

On my 6.6 I ran the stock Fox DHX Air shock. On the SS I am running the stock DHX Coil. Like you, I thought that with the coil it would be more plush too. Certainly, when bouncing around on it it feels very plush and over small trail 'noise' it is - but over bigger repetitive hits (like a long high speed root section) it does feel harsher. If you read the blurbs written about the SS (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...ODUCT.ID=4480), they do say that the linkage has been tuned to be more progressive so that it can take really big hits. My experience certainly bares this out.

Re the size of the frame for you: firstly, the difference in TT length is fractional (22.5 vs. 22.8). As mentioned in my post, I decided to run a one inch set back post on the SS which I didn't ever try on the 6.6. I did this because of the slightly shorter SS tt but more because I alway felt just a teeny tiny bit cramped on my 6.6. It is weird though because with this combination, the cockpit feels very roomy on the SS. There are so many variables that affect cockpit room (like seat tube angle and head tube angle) but it is far more roomy now than I expected. At 6ft tall - it is perfect for me (but then everyones body is different i.e. short legs long torso or vice versa).

I definitely wouldn't choose a large frame. But you should know that for climbing, you need a LONG seat post (I have a Thompson 410mm) and it does look kinda stupid with that much post exposed.

Hope this essay! helps you out man!

RJN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i would agree Gravity on small rolling hits it can almost feel like a hardtail, but i have a spring up from what i need, because i do a fair amount of DJ'ing on it i wanted it hard, but then you can hit the park and do a 15 foot drop on it, and it feels incredible, most people who have ridden it cant believe it is only a 6.5 travel bike, it feels a much bigger hitter than a demo 8 i owned, i really do love it to bits.

but with 33 legs i just find the cockput too small for any real long rides, but that doesnt bother me as i dont really do any

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Gravity, big thanks for your detailed info. Last questions: what's your riding weight, spring rate and stem length on the SS? I run a 75 mm stem with a slightly set back post on my 6.6 ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuzi
    Gravity, big thanks for your detailed info. Last questions: what's your riding weight, spring rate and stem length on the SS? I run a 75 mm stem with a slightly set back post on my 6.6 ...
    You're welcome.
    My riding weight is circa 180lbs. Spring is 400lbs (stock) which gives me +- 30% sag with 2 turns of pre-load. If you run more boost pressure you get slightly less sag.
    I run a 90mm Thompson stem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hi gravityfreaky
    how does the SS feel on singletrack?
    is it overkill for that kind of stuff or is it good?

mtbr member
    I'll chime in as another former owner of a 6.6 and now a 6.6ss owner. I agree with almost everything gravityfreaky said. The 6.6 was good at most things, but not great at any one thing. The head angle was a little on the steep side and the bb was too high for my liking. The ss corrects both of those for me. The bb is as low as I would go and the head angle is nice and slack. It absolutely rails corners and the longer wheelbase feels much more stable at speed. My medium 6.6 was 7.75lbs with a DHX Air and my ss is 8.9lbs with a DHX coil, so given the difference in weight between the shocks, it is hardly heavier. It's not the ideal xc bike, but then neither was the 6.6 and it is so much better in the rough stuff.

The only thing I disagree on is the small bump compliance. I have my shock set-up very soft (lots of sag, low to no propedal, and minimum boost pressure on the DHX) and it soaks everything up wonderfully. I have just replaced the DHX with a Cane Creek Double Barrel and it feels even better.

All in all extremely satisfied with the 6.6ss.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast