mtbr member
    Feb 2010

6.6 Snapping Shock bolts

Hi folks,

Anyone any ideas on the following.

I've been riding my 6.6 for 4 years now. 2 years with a CCDB and now 2 years with a BOS Stoy. I've never had any issues until about 6 months ago.

In the past 6 months I have snapped 3 lower shock bolts, all have snapped in the exact same place which is dead centre where the thread stops on the bolt.

My riding has not changed, my weight has not changed so I am super confused. When the first one went I thought far enough as it was the original Intense alloy one had has been through a lot of racing and riding in the French alps. I replaced this with a steel one which broke within 2 months and lastly i fitted a Ti bolt. This has now snapped to.
    Intense 6.6 with BOS Iydlle SC & BOS Stoy= Super stoked

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GpAevo View Post
    Hi folks,

Anyone any ideas on the following.

I've been riding my 6.6 for 4 years now. 2 years with a CCDB and now 2 years with a BOS Stoy. I've never had any issues until about 6 months ago.

In the past 6 months I have snapped 3 lower shock bolts, all have snapped in the exact same place which is dead centre where the thread stops on the bolt.

My riding has not changed, my weight has not changed so I am super confused. When the first one went I thought far enough as it was the original Intense alloy one had has been through a lot of racing and riding in the French alps. I replaced this with a steel one which broke within 2 months and lastly i fitted a Ti bolt. This has now snapped to.
    Are you sure the original bolt was alloy? (I assume you mean aluminum alloy and not alloy steel) I haven't owned a 6.6 but none of my other Intenses have come with alloy shock bolts. It would be pretty rare compared to other manufacturers too.

Any shoulder bolt is most likely to break at the shoulder so that part is not surprising. My best guess for the reasons for breaking are as follows:

1. Old
    2. Low grade bolt?
    3. Ti

See of you can find a grade 12.9 steel replacement bolt. The further the shoulder extends short of bottoming the better.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The OEM 6mm bolts seem to be very light so I assumed they where alloy, they certainly weren't steel.

The steel one that snapped was brand new and unused from a supplier.

Will see if I can find a 12.9 grade steel bolt.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Have you checked the shock to see if it is crapping out?

I went thru a few bolts on my 2004 spider after a couple years and it seemed the shock was going bad.
    It was the original 5th element air, which I really liked.

After replacing it the probelm went away, although I have an extra bolt in by pack just in case.

Old school BMXer
    As mentioned, the OE bolt is steel. They break most commonly when there isn't enough air in the shock or in conditions where the shock bottoms out. There is nothing inherently weak in that style bolt or the overall design when the shock is set up properly.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Shock just back from a service so no problems there. Bolts broke before service and after.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Broke 1 bolt myself. Previous owner claimed to have broken a couple himself - but he used a DHX Air back then so he probably bottomed out a lot harder than I do.

I have yet to break the replacement, but I haven't ridden it that hard yet since i replaced it.
    :: Titus FTM :: Santa Cruz TallboyC :: OnOne 456evo2 ::