mtbr member
    Sep 2008

New question here. 6.6 with a Marzocchi 66RC2X... too heavy for AM?

I'm in the process of building up a 6.6. My current bike is a hardtail with an 80mm fork, and while it's a great bike, it's not burly enough for the stuff I really want to do. My dream is an all-mountain bike, something that is tough enough to handle light DH stuff (i live 5 mins from a chair lift) but can also handle technical ascents.

I can get a '06 Marzocchi 66RC2X for cheap, but I'm wondering if it would be too much fork for an all-mountain set up.

What do you think?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I just built a 6.6 with an '06 z1 light (5.5 lbs) and it weighs 32.5 lbs. Looks like the 66 will add about 1.5 lbs. Personally, I'd want a slimmer fork but if you do some DH riding it may be a good compromise.

mtbr member
    I use a 07 66 ETA for all mountain and love it.

mtbr member
    i had that exact fork on my FR rig(bottlerocket) it was a bit heavy but buttery smooth and beefy for North east style free ride. Downside was it was a bit too long when i tried to ride more am stuff. i was also not very good at small bump compliance.

I went with a 36 vanilla on my ss, for a more versatile build. lighter for the am stuff, doesnt make the bike as slack.

so in my opinion its a bit too much for am

kntr has a little different opinion but based on the fact he uses a socom for am he may have a slightly different definition of am than i do

suspension whore
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorboy
    I can get a '06 Marzocchi 66RC2X for cheap, but I'm wondering if it would be too much fork for an all-mountain set up.
    What do you think?
    I picked up a used OEM 06 Marz 66rc2x about 6 months ago.
    I took it out to marzocchi (Valencia) and Ronnie styled it.
    We replaced the steel steerer and he re oiled/ lubed and replaced some seals.
    I weigh about 165lbs in full riding gear so Ronnie also removed a spring from one of the legs.
    I use about 18 lbs of air assist instead of a 25lbs spring which gave me more tunability and improved the small bump complience significantly over the Fox VAN. I run the front end a little soft and keep the X (bottom out/ ramp up at end of stroke ) turned up to prevent bottom out. Super plush and rigid.

I slapped it on my 6.6 and took off the Fox VAN rc.

Bike is now a pound heavier (approx 35 lbs), and an Inch longer on the A-C.
    I kept the Van for a couple of weeks but its now sold... I love the 66.
    I went with the 66rcx - 06 model specifically because its 170mm not 180mm like the later ones which are out side of intenses recommendations.
    The 05 is 170 mm as well but another inch longet A-C so I didnt want that.
    I have a flush headset to lower the front end as well so no travel assist.

I have a demo ( for lift assisted days) so the 6.6 is my pedaling / AM all the time bike.
    My local climb involved 2500 - 3000 feet of vertical climbing and while the bike is no speedster it gets me to the top in one piece pretty well. I cant go as fast as the xc guys buy I can pedal it all day. Its weakness is technical single track climbing. The front end does want to lift up when trying to slowely climb up over stuff and around steep tight switchbacks. I have to use a lot of body english to keep the front end well connected but I'm making almost all of the climbs that we ride - I think its fitness that hold me up more than the bike, the difference is that the bike just isnt helping you like a lighter steeper XC bike would be and there is less room for error.
    No surprise there really.

On the way down the fork and the bike shines and any climbing deficiencies are quickly forgotten and rendered a minor inconvience.
    The BB is a little high at 14.5 inches so its not going to rail like a DH bike or a Slopestyle but the trails I ride are very chunky and slower speed/technical so the bottom bracket hght is not an issue to me.

If you want to build a 6.6 up on the heavy side it will definately be a great for for the sort of riding you talk about... Pedalable free riding.. IMHO
    I would also HIGHLY recommend a coil shock on the 6.6.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by matthew; 10-28-2008 at 10:46 AM.
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_C
    i had that exact fork on my FR rig(bottlerocket) it was a bit heavy but buttery smooth and beefy for North east style free ride. Downside was it was a bit too long when i tried to ride more am stuff. i was also not very good at small bump compliance.

I went with a 36 vanilla on my ss, for a more versatile build. lighter for the am stuff, doesnt make the bike as slack.

so in my opinion its a bit too much for am

kntr has a little different opinion but based on the fact he uses a socom for am he may have a slightly different definition of am than i do
    Ya everyone's all mountain definitions vary. The only reason I get away with the 66 is the ETA. The front end drops almost 5" and the bike feels like a XC when climbing. Since my Socom weighs in at 37 lb its not bad for a AM bike with the 66 ETA.

If you are getting a deal on the fork, I say give it a try and see how you like it. You can always sell it and get a new fork later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the replies. Kntr, the ETA would make it rideable on technical singletracks climbs do you think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorboy
    Thanks for the replies. Kntr, the ETA would make it rideable on technical singletracks climbs do you think?
    Oh ya, it drops the front way down. I make climbs on my Socom that most XC riders cant make. It really helps on such a long travel fork. I believe it drops it down about 5 inches.

mtbr member
    I've got the ATA, and i love it. That fork really brings out the quiver-killer, IMO, and brings the out the full experience of the 6.6. However, i personally find the full travel rakes the bike out just a hair too much.

The 66RC2X has two settings; approximately 6 and 6.6", right? If you want to go burly all the time, and you are used to relaxed angles, and you're getting a great deal, that RC2X might be a good choice (I'd go with it). If you want to keep the ability to make the bike a marginally better climber, you may want to think about something else. The bike is a bit of a noodle as it is; with all that travel you may find yourself getting a little sea-sick sometimes.