Thread: 6.6 fork advice

suspension whore

6.6 fork advice

I'm building up a 6.6 to replace an ellswth ID with a Marz AM1
    want something stiffer and beefier,
    ID feels too light now that I'm used to the demo 9 (with 888, manitu4 way and single ring)

want the 6.6 to be able to climb but not the priority, want thru axl and beefier rims.
    Currently trying to choose b/n Fox Van and Marz 66 light with ETA.
    I've read all the posts over the last 2 months and wondering if any current owners wanted to follow up on earlier ride reports or jump in with opinions?

thx

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    ID feels too light now that I'm used to the demo 9 (with 888, manitu4 way and single ring)

want the 6.6 to be able to climb but not the priority, want thru axl and beefier rims.
    I've read all the posts over the last 2 months and wondering if any current owners wanted to follow up on earlier ride reports or jump in with opinions?

thx
    I have owned a Fox Van 36 and sold it to get the Marz 66 Light. They both feel good, I just think the Marzocchi beats it out in feeling, build quality and having the Travel adjust feature. Especially for a 6.6 which I have as well. I have a Z1 Light on my 6.6 and it feels good too.

I have the z1 light on my 6.6 and it feels great. Sometimes I think a 66 light would have been nice too, but i think that would add some considerable weight and burliness I may not need. Maybe my ego is getting ahead of reality

I don't have much to compare the light to, since my last bike had the 02 z1 130mm. The ETA feature is really great tho, if you happen to go with the 66.

mtbr member
    I will be sporting a Fox Van36 on mine. I loved the forks ride on my old 6 Pack.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew

thx
    Put some 20mm axle Z1 lowers (any year from 2003-2006 will work) on your AM1 and that will stiffen it right up.

You'll keep the ETA and TST and have the ability to drop the travel if needed.
    Nothing to see here.

suspension whore
    the frankenfork is a good Idea but the bike is full XTR so would also involve a hub change and I understand xtr dosnt compat with 20mm, to many parts sitting on the work bench.
    Rather sell bike whole as what it was designed for than put more money into mods.
    Also ok with the Idea of a stouter frame- time to try an intense

mtbr member

wheelset?

You have an XTR Wheelset? Is that why you don't want to go 20mm?

Completely worth going away from an XTR wheelset to get the stiffness of a 20mm hub.

suspension whore
    have xtr hubs on mavic rims
    want 20mm
    figure its better to sell all and start again

Members who have read this thread: 0