Custom User Title

6.6 with coil = good

Well my '09 DHX Air is unable to hold air or oil after 3 months of riding. So it is on the way back to Fox. In the meantime the Moment is hanging in the rafters. So......the E2E on the shock on the moment is the same as the 6.6......Now it is on the 6.6.

First ride impressions is that the Air will NOT be going back on the 6.6. The coil is heavier and that hurts on the climb but the performance everywhere else is worth it. I am still trying to get the setup dialed but, it is for the most part set. One thing that is escaping me is that the coil would work better on the 6.6 with a 550# spring for sag. but the 600# that I have on there works great for the everything except climbing. Some people have experienced the "weird feeling" when climbing on the 6.6. I have experianced this "weird feeling" when climbing in the small ring, which is a 26 for me. Well that "feeling" wasn't apparent when using the coil. Not sure why, but I think it has something to do with having the correct sag.

It did climb better with the correct sag and the Air. I realize that the extra 3/4# that the coil added didn't help but usually weight is not that big of a factor for me. My 6.6 tips the scales at an even 33#'s with the coil. The smooth feeling of the coil was nicer than the plushness I had with the Air. I know...don't start the Air vs Coil plushness stuff.....I could have made the coil plusher if I had a box of different springs. I don't. I do plan on getting a 550# to see how it rides then.

I am also thinking of the Roco TST R. but dropping about 3 bills on a new shock.....then I would like to get a Ti coil which now makes it more like 6 bills. This might happen in a couple of months but not right now.

Setup on the '09 Air:
    255 in the main
    135 in the bottom
    1 1/2 rings showing
    PP off

Setup on the '06 Coil:
    600# spring
    135 in the bottom
    1 1/2 rings showing
    PP 2 clicks up from off
    Last edited by coldsteele; 11-24-2008 at 08:40 AM.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you have a DHX coil on there now. I put one on about a year ago to replace the DHX air which went through travel too easily. I liked the shock but it felt spikey on bigger hits. I sent it off to PUSH and now it feels great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Im running a Van R and it rocks. Best thing I have ever done to a bike.
    Meh

Stylour
    MZ Roco Worldcup with Ti-Spring... -> awsome

suspension whore
    6.6 + CCDB ti coil = F()cking Brilliant

1/2 a pound of weight penalty < Far superior small and larger hit performance
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeWorks
    MZ Roco Worldcup with Ti-Spring... -> awsome
    isn't the WC i2i too big?
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm doing the exact thing on my 6.6, was wondering though, i was about to order my new DHX and i measured the stroke on the present swinger air at 50mm. Talking to the guy i was going to but the DHX from he said that going from alist by a reputable Fox dealer in the UK (mojo), the length of the stroke should be 57mm.

However when i took all the air of out of my shock, i noticed that the wheel is only about 13 or 14 mm away from the frame and as the leverage ratio is about 3:1 if i get a 57mm stroke DHx as opposed to the 50mm its going to buzz the frame ant the rear.

So guys my question is, what is the stroke length required for a 6.6? I've got an 08 medium frame by theway.

Commit or eat sh!t
    My brother is using the 7.88x2.25" DHX (which is the size of the shock Intense designed the bike for), and it seems to work fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by windowliquor
    So guys my question is, what is the stroke length required for a 6.6? I've got an 08 medium frame by theway.
    Shock for a 6.6 is 7.875x2.25 (or 200mmx57mm).

I called Intense yesterday to confirm and that's what they told me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    thanks guys, got a brand spanking new Dh on my 6.6 and it feels a lot better than the Manitou 4 way air i had on there. By a country mile. Fact.