mtbr member
    May 2008

5.5 FRO Front Derailleur query

Recently scored and am building up a med 08 5.5 FRO. Intense website has the 07 Manual in the Tech section which says all Intense frames use a Top Pull Front Derailleur.
    My SRAM X.9 isn't working out for me though. Can't slide it high enough up the seat tube to clear the big ring without it hitting the swingarm. Can't seem to get an answer from Intense, anyone know if they changed from 07 to 08 to a bottom pull? Something obvious I'm missing? From looking at the 5.5 pic thread, doesn't look like anyone is running a Top Pull. Thanks.

ride
    You definitely need a top pull der. Top pull, as in the cable comes from above the der. A traditional high clamp (down swing) der won't work, though. As you've seen, the clamp won't fit up into where the rear triangle overlaps. A top pull, low clamp (top swing) der is what you're looking for.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What a friggin' pain in the ass this has become. So I get the Top Pull, Low Clamp version of the SRAM X.9 and it still won't work. There's still not enough clearance by the swingarm, and the cable screw is inaccessible as on the SRAM it's in the back rather than on the side like the XT on my old bike.
    Anyone running a SRAM front deraileur on their 5.5 FRO or is Shimano mandatory?
    Does that mean I have to swap out my X.9 front shifter too or can I mix the SRAM/Shimano shifter & derailleur?

mtbr member
    Sorry I missed your thread and I think you figured it out as the Scram FD's will not work , needs to be Shimano. Intense Dealers should know this and pointed it out to you when you puchased your frame.It needs to be the low clap , top pull , side swing style that is most popular these days.
    Hope this helps.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig
    Does that mean I have to swap out my X.9 front shifter too or can I mix the SRAM/Shimano shifter & derailleur?

You can use a front Shimano derailleur and Sram shifters without any problems (you can't do this in the rear however).