mtbr member
    Nov 2012

5.5 EVP Rear hub

After putting it of for several months today I finally made a start on my 5.5 EVP build, all was going well until I came to fit the rear wheel. I've bought a 135mm wheel but it looks like the frame is a bit old school and the dropouts are only 120mm apart!! It's the old frame style with the 2 piece top link and I'm assuming this was standard and that the frame hasn't just warped/sprung a bit?

Is my only option to try and source a 120mm hub which are like hens teeth over here or is there some clever workaround that I can do?

Thanks

Jim

mtbr member
    5.5 has a 135 mm rear end, and always had.
    One possibility that I can think of is that whoever assembled the frame used the wrong spacers between the link and swingarm, which would bend it and result in the narrower dropout space. That or you have a bad frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for replying and I'd come to the same conclusion myself. The more I thoguht about it the more I became convinced it wouldn't have been built for a 120mm hub so gently pulled the dropouts apart and the wheel popped in. Think the confusion was partly my poor measuring and obviously the rear has closed up slightly but all looks good now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Re: 5.5 EVP Rear hub

The rear on my 2007 5.5 was always a little tight and required a little stretching to get the wheel in. I used a Hadley thru axle that was 12 mm and turned down to 10 mm at the ends to fit the dropouts. It was a nice, stiff setup.