Thread: 5.5 EVP Build

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

5.5 EVP Build

Hi guys

Just picked up a 5.5 EVP frame on ebay but know very little about these bikes so am going to have lost of questions!

Firstly is there any way I can tell how old the frame is, I think it's an early one but not sure? Did Intense keep it the same throughout production or were there subtle changes over the years.

Secondly when building this up are there any stumbling blocks I'm likely to hit, does it have any odd size/non standard fitttings eg headset, BB etc

For those that are interested this is the ebay listing

Intense 5 5 EVP Medium | eBay

I know the shock isn't standard, it's Manitou Swinger but it will have to do for now. I'll be fitting set of Rockshox Revelation Race 120-150 U-Turns but not sure what else.

Thanks

Jim

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I think you are correct it is likely an older frame, the swinger was stock for awhile.

I think the 120-150 is a good choice I was running a 140 on mine and it felt good but a little slacker might have been nice.

I can't see from the pictures, is your upper link, (the one that connect's to the shock) a one piece unit or two? The two piece unit's were know to be flexy and a lot of people upgraded them. First by an aftermarket unit by PUSH Industries and the Intense sold them.

I might have one on my old frame if you are interested let me know. My frame cracked down by the bb shell, a while back I sold the rear triangle and shock to somebody on this board.

One other place some people had problems was the front fork hitting the down tube, I didn't have the problem, but people who did resolved it by using a taller base plate. A search on this board should should bring that issue up.

You will enjoy that bike, I was extremely bummed when mine went down.

Jim

Old school BMXer
    frints offered a lot of good info.
    - On my medium 04 frame, the fork would have hit the down tube without a taller headset base plate. My wife's 08 version had plenty of clearance on a small.

- The Swinger was standard on early frames. I loved mine for a while...until I got a Fox Float.

- I see that yours is likely an older version with the two-piece link. Like frints said, get a once piece. If you were in the US, I'd sell you my spare PUSH one-piece link.

- Look for cracks where frints mentioned.

- Personally, I think 140-150 mm is too much fork for that frame. It feels goofy (keep in mind that I am a DHer). But the head angle is still too steep. Order a Works 1- degree angled headset for that frame.

- I sold mine to buy a Tracer VP, which I never liked. I wished I would have kept the 5.5 and got the angled headset for it.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks guys,

I actually pick the frame up tomorrow evening so I'll give it the once over and check the bits you've highlighted and will report back

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Another question, what length stem did these come with as stock and do most people stick with this or go longer/shorter ? OK that was 2 questions

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboM View Post
    Another question, what length stem did these come with as stock and do most people stick with this or go longer/shorter ? OK that was 2 questions

Cheers
    Don't look at one component isolated, the whole setup has to work.
    I built the bike from scratch and use a 150 mm fork (Pace RC41 Fighter), a 100 mm x 0 stem with a no-setback seatpost and Easton low rise 685 mm bar. Works for me and what I ride. Feels like a trailbike with more travel, not like an enduro bike.
    I am currently contemplating if I should install one of those:
    Works Components - 1 0 Degree EC34 - Traditional 1 1 8 Fitment
    Might give it a little more sure-footedness when it gets fast and rough.

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    My Talus hit the downtube, i dont think the Pike does so depending on which fork you use you may not have to do this at all. On My 08 I used a 7mm crown race from Ventana which they dont make anymore. I think that King sells the +5mm which would work fine. The +7 is a bit overkill.

iRider is right, build it for YOU not to factory spec. I just threw on anything I had laying around and made adjustments over time to suit my "fit". I would not trade this bike for anything!

I also think the 5.5 has an odd cable route... I bought a sticky back cable guide to run the brake line perfectly between the shifter cables undewr the top tube.

Photobucket

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the input guys.

I tried a quick fit of the fork tonight and it just catches the top of the adjusters but that was without any crown race fitted. Not sure if a standard race will be enough to sort the problem and doubt if the King +5 would be compatable with the Raceface headset (and definitely not springing for a complete Chris King)

If I was to go for the Works 1 degree headset do you think that would be enough to sort any clearance issues as well as improve handling.

Cheers

Jim
    ps JDubKC that bike looks great, I'm loving the colour

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App