mtbr member
    Feb 2009

275 carbine owners shock question

I'm having a bit of an issue setting up my Fox CTD shock on my Carbine 275. I'm 180 pounds but I have to put 210 psi in the shock to get the right amount of sag but during the ride it blows through it's travel and wallows on terrain that it shouldn't. I run my suspension in descend mode because I feel that the VPP suspension has a good enough pedaling platform that I don't feel the need to use the trail or climb modes.

Has anyone else ran into this, or is it just me? I was wondering if the shock may need to be re-tuned for the 650B wheels? I'm waiting to hear back from Intense to see what they think, I just figured I would check with other Carbine owners while I wait.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Not a carbine owner, but maybe I can make two useful suggestions.

Compression is not just about climbing, it is equally used for control of the shock when descending. An oversimplified rule of thumb is air pressure is to set sag and compression provides the incremental control of the movement into the travel above the appropriate spring rate. The heavier the fellow (like you and me), the more compression is typicall needed to keep shock from blowing through the travel. Given you are heavier than the status quo person fox probably built that shock for, you should try running it in trail mode when descending. Trail mode for you probably works and feels like descend mode for a lighter person. Descend might just be too lightly damped for a person your weight with the leverage ratio on the bike. Sure it might feel plush, but that is because there is less resistance to movement and correspondingly leads to wallowing and bottoming. I am ignoring high speed vs low speed compression here as well for simplification purposes.

If that doesn't work, you can always add a spacer to the air chamber reducing the volume which increases the progressivity of the shock. This is a different fix than the compression suggestion and will yield a different feel but may accomplish the same objective.

I am no expert so take this all with a grain of salt, just what I have experienced in jacking with my shocks over the years. Good luck!

Dude, got any schwag?
    Have you tried the Fox website for tuning/setup info? Also try calling a) the shop you bought it from, b) Fox, or c) Intense.

I have a Tracer VP & weigh about 190, but run 145-150psi in the shock & get the appropriate 25% sag, plus get nearly full travel every ride with no bottoming. Methinks 210 is too high, so further research is recommended.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!