Thread: 27.5 Uzzi ??

mtbr member

27.5 Uzzi ??

Has anyone tried it? Can it be done?
    Mr Intense will we see 27.5 dropouts for the Uzzi?
    I think it would be an awesome bike.
    2014 Santa Cruz Solo c.
    2012 Spec Demo 8 red/blk/yeiiow

Dan@sidsbikes.com

Old-newbie
    In the works. I have a 2011 frame, and I am building it up with a 650b on the back. TBD whether the front will be 650b or 29. The fork will clear either, so I get to play until I find a favorite.

With the Vee Trail Taker 2.4 on the back clearance is slight in position 2, but more than adequate in position 3. Either will roll, it just depends what sort of debris gets rolled through there.

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

mtbr member
    Good to know is the Vee Trail the dh tire?
    2014 Santa Cruz Solo c.

Dan@sidsbikes.com

Old-newbie
    Unfortunately not. It is a single ply with some sidewall protection. 2.50 at the side knobs, but only about 2.2 at the casing. Corners great and it is above average durability, but not DH tough.
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by g3rG View Post
    Unfortunately not. It is a single ply with some sidewall protection. 2.50 at the side knobs, but only about 2.2 at the casing. Corners great and it is above average durability, but not DH tough.
    Have you tried the Vee Flow or Fluid?
    What tire size wise would you compare the 2.4 to?
    What wheels are you running?
    2014 Santa Cruz Solo c.

Dan@sidsbikes.com

Old-newbie
    I have not tried the other Vee tires. I only tried the VTT because it looked identical to the Pacenti Mega-moto that we have all been waiting for. I do believe that it is actually a grey market version of that very tire.

I am at a loss for what to compare it against. It pairs well with a Minion DHR on my ReignX. It has honest to god side knobs, which I really appreciate in the corners. Most tire designs seem to keep pulling the knobs toward the center. That leaves me cornering on the sidewalls when I lay the bike over. No sidewall marks on the VTT so far. In fact the knobs have kept me from tearing out sidewalls during a few screw-ups.

So far I have only run them on some flimsy (imho) Stan's Flow rims. I plan to build something more robust for the Uzzi. Probably DL31 rims. I would love Hadley hubs, but I don't want to spend that much for an experiment! I do plan to change the rear of the bike to 150mm hub spacing. It really helps reduce the wheel flex that happens with the larger rim diameter.

gerG

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Why bother??? If you have a 26 X 2.5 tire with the same inflated outside diameter as a 26.5 X 2.35 what is the advantage. The tire and wheelset is going to weigh approximately the same.;

Old-newbie
    Hi eastshore. The VTT measures 27.85 OD. A good bit taller than my largest 26" tires (Minion 2.7). Maybe there are larger 26" tires around (pardon the pun). I should look into that.

From my own limited experiments the rear tire size gives me a tradeoff between faster rolling and better climbing with the larger diameter, and quicker turning and better handling with the smaller. I will end up trying both on this bike. One significant issue is durability. I tend to tear up rear tires, so if I can't get the rear to hold up I will have to drop back to a more durable 26". I have already been down this path with my Mojo HD.

I should mention that I am building this for all mountain riding. To get 2000ft of bombing I have to do 2000ft of climbing. Quite a bit of steep chunky stuff around here.

gerG

mtbr member
    Thanks very helpful
    Just be aware most 150mm hubs have the same flange spacing as a 135. King and Hadley are wider.
    I don't feel the 150 is needed on the Uzzi because of the 73bb. 150mm hubs are to keep a better chain line with 83mm bb.
    I find the 142mm to be pleanty
    2014 Santa Cruz Solo c.

Dan@sidsbikes.com

Old-newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by quickneonrt View Post
    Thanks very helpful
    Just be aware most 150mm hubs have the same flange spacing as a 135. King and Hadley are wider.
    I don't feel the 150 is needed on the Uzzi because of the 73bb. 150mm hubs are to keep a better chain line with 83mm bb.
    I find the 142mm to be pleanty
    Yikes, I did not know that. I know that 135mm and 142mm are the same flange spacing. I will keep an eye on that, thanks. The wider spacing is important to keep the bracing angles from getting too low when the rim diameter gets larger. This was a major pain for me on a 29" frame. Probably not as critical on the 27.5, but I would rather not risk stretching spokes every ride.

I have a 73mm bb with a 150mm rear on my favorite bike (Niner WFO). I was worried about the chainline, but I do most of my cranking in the lowest gears, so it actually works out better for me.

gerG

Old-newbie
    An update on the 650b Uzzi. I named it...

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/pro...ie-837517.html