mda
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

27.5 G1 dropouts on Tracer 2

Anyone actually done this yet and running 26" wheels? Wondering what effect this will have on the geometry. Currently have HA at 66.7 and 14.2" BB with a Fox 36 160 and 2.5" rubber but obviously looking to go slacker and lower.

mtbr member
    Bump!

mtbr member
    Sorry mda can't answer your question because I'm not familiar enough with the 275 drops, but why would it make a change to the HA? I can see it extending your wheelbase by ~1.5" adding some high speed stability but tight cornering would suffer as a result wouldn't it?

Seems like a CC AngleSet would serve the same purpose in getting you slacker thus lower without having to mess with the rear end.

Just curious, what issues are you having with your current setup that your're trying to improve on?

mda
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    With a Fox 36 and 2.5 Minions I'm at 67 head angle and 14.2" bottom bracket. Borrowed a friend's Canyon Strive for a couple of days in the Alps earlier in the year which is around 65.5 head and 13.5" bottom bracket and preferred this geometry.

I think you're correct about the 27.5 dropouts, all they would do is increase the length of the chainstays and wheelbase. I was hoping they may drop the back end down, lowering the bb and slackening the HA as well.

I'm not convinced that an AngleSet would drop the bottom bracket by very much.

I love riding the T2 but think it could be improved slightly with a bit of tweaking. And it's interesting to note how many other All Mountain 160mm bikes are now coming out slacker and lower.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    With a Fox 36 and 2.5 Minions I'm at 67 head angle and 14.2" bottom bracket..
    Why so much rubber on the T2? Seems like overkill (at least in the back) for anything but super loose nasty stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love the 2.5 UST Minions on my M9 but they would seem too bulky (and heavy) on the T2.

How about trying a lower volume tire only in the rear and keeping the 2.5 up front? I'm pretty sure you could drop the BB height below 14 with a beefy but slightly smaller tire in the back.

Would make climbing a hell of a lot more efficient as well. Just a thought.......

*side note - don't ever ride a M9, it will turn into a very expensive test ride

mda
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Most of the Maxxis rubber I've used airs up relatively small. My single ply 2.5 EXO Minions have very similar volume to Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35s and Rubber Queen 2.2s, so I don't think it's excessive.

Oh and you could easily describe conditions in the UK at the moment (and for most of his year) as super loose and nasty

Yeah, I had a test ride on a Socom with Fox 40 a few years ago which was epic so can only imagine what the M9 is like.

mtbr member
    Man, not sure what else to suggest other than going with some super thin pedals to slightly lower your foot position.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    I was hoping they may drop the back end down, lowering the bb and slackening the HA as well.
    Your thought is right and I asked the same question already a couple of times by how much it would change it. The nice chaps at Intense are very tight lipped about it though. Might hurt their Tracer 275 sales if people figure out that new dropouts would transform their Tracer 2 into a similar bike.

mda
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm hoping to get some prototype dropouts within the next month or so and will post a review in due course.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm hoping to get some prototype dropouts within the next month or so and will post a review in due course.
    Where from? Do you also get an adapter for the brake?