Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

27.5 (650b) fever

92K views 341 replies 115 participants last post by  fatboy66 
#1 ·
I prefer calling this segment 27.5 as 650b has always seemed more road oriented.2 new protos with the 27.5 wheels that we are playing with. A Carbine 27.5 & Tracer 27.5 both producing 5.5 to 6" adjustable travel.
One of the coolest features of the G1 dropout system is that it is replaceable so I was able to make a special set of 27.5 drop outs that adjust the chainstay out to 17" and drop the BB so that when you set it up 27.5 you have the proper Geo & wheel spacing. With the 2.35 X 27.5 Nevagals there is ample clearance, with the 150 fork we are at 67.5 on ha and 13.3" bb height, very cool instant 27.5 Carbon trail bike .

The blue Tracer is a dedicated 27.5 I built with 150 RS 650b fork and geo hits at 67ha and 13.3 on bb. We will test the waters with these and see where this segment goes but could prove to be the tweener size perfect for some.
Interesting how the aftermarket already has forks , tires & wheels before any huge demand quite opposite the 29" craze.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
SICK SICK SICK

Those blue Tracer is beautiful. The Carbine looks very good too.
Great work Jeff! You totally nailed it with those two beauties
When can we assume they will be available?
And can you tell us more about that new Rock Shox fork? 34mm stanchions with 20mm thru axle?
And Jeff, is that a new carbon upper link on the Tracer? :)

#46 · (Edited)
[...] Offer a 650bSpider and I'll be calling with my credit card digits. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
KP
You said yourself that 27.5 is rather for long travel applications and that 29ers occupy the XC realm. Sort of contradicting yourself now?
Why would you want a 584mm on xc bikes when 29ers simply work there better?
Let's put Nino aside because his juvenile adrenaline was simply a shill. :thumbsup: He even lost to a 26er rider later on.
Christopher Sauser had it right and commented that smaller wheels than 29" are a compromise. He has more experience on 29ers than Nino. Even small Burry Stander can fit a small 29er.
Bigger Is Better | Cyclingnews.com

I don't see much sense in developing 27,5ers with less than 6" of travel. All below is pretty much served by 29ers, however they lack lower gearing, negative riser bars, a bit wider hub flanges. These are the places to improve and innovate. People asked many times for correcting these issues. Nobody wanted to correct them by introducing a smaller wheel everywhere (under 150-160mm stroke) just for the sake of novelty. Smells like money for me. :D
Seriously you would succeed more with 29er specific cranks, cassettes, negative handle bars. Why not? There is money in it as well. I guess even more. I am first one to buy a 29er specific drivetrain from you and light 36h 430g 21mm inner width 622mm/700C rims destined for 36x4 lacing pattern with light spokes. What do you think?

BTW will all 27.5ers frame have 29er specific dropouts as an option to clear bigger wheels? It would be fun when 27.5er long travel bikes appear and the whole 29er crowd will try to make 29" wheel fit in there just like 26er crowd wanted to fit 27,5" wheels. :D It is only or as much as 38mm difference.

#19 ·
Great news on the carbine!! I'd really like to try those out. I had almost bought a Mojo HD instead due to being able to run 27.5, but I liked the carbine so much more! Glad Intense is going to come through and take care care of the one concern I had for buying this bike. :thumbsup:

Great work!!

Brent

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.