Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Scott and Jake made it to Ashland a couple days ago with the demo fleet...

I got to ride the Carbine 275. Simply amazed how a bike with awkward bar/stem (for my tastes) and terrible tires (Nevegals) could be such a ripping good time... I've ridden quite a few demo bikes recently and I felt very comfortable on it instantly. Hopefully ISCG tabs or some sort of full chain retention system can be sorted in the future as I threw my chain countless times with the triple ring set up.

Very cool bike though. VERY cool...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Has anyone tried to put 650b wheels on a Uzzi VP?

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by alexgunner View Post
    can I upgrade my carbine with the new 27,5 rear triangle? I bought it last winter and don't want to change it. it seems that my fox factory 36 talas 160 is compatible with 27,5 wheel...
    thanks!
    Yes, but it's not an entire rear triangle. All you need is the 27.5 dropouts and brake adaptor. They should be available soon.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    Yes, but it's not an entire rear triangle. All you need is the 27.5 dropouts and brake adaptor. They should be available soon.
    I got my new 27.5 dropouts yesterday. Just waiting for the new 27.5 tires and Ill be riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnw/bear View Post
    I got my new 27.5 dropouts yesterday. Just waiting for the new 27.5 tires and Ill be riding.
    where did you find it?? is it expensive?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    where did you find it?? is it expensive?
    I ordered the 27.5 dropouts from my LBS. They received them yesterday. I think they were around $200. Intense was saying that MSRP would be $250. They came in black. I thought they would be red but oh well. Just need tires. Should be here Friday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Rear axle spacing?

What size width is your kit, 135mm or 142mm. What is the diamater of the rear axle, 10mm or 12mm? You are one of the lucky ones to get a G1 275 kit first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doralswheels View Post
    What size width is your kit, 135mm or 142mm. What is the diamater of the rear axle, 10mm or 12mm? You are one of the lucky ones to get a G1 275 kit first.
    Mine is 142mm with 12mm axle. So it's available now in the Usa? I'm in Italy, i don't know when it will be available on our market...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by doralswheels View Post
    I got the 142mm x 12mm in 27.5. I think you have to use 142mm x 12mm if you are going with the 27.5 wheel. Now if only my tires would show up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Mine is 142mm with 12mm axle. So it's available now in the Usa? I'm in Italy, i don't know when it will be available on our market...
    Thanks for the info. I will order a 142 X12 Chris King axle upgrade for my kit. Thanks again.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Finally some tires to be excited about:

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy View Post
    Finally some tires to be excited about:

What are those?
    I just got my nevagals.... Not impressed. I wish I had more choices right now?

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    What are those?
    I just got my nevagals.... Not impressed. I wish I had more choices right now?
    Maxxis Highroller II and Ardent 650b tires at Eurobike... I really hope the DHF isn't far behind. I'd be seriously considering building a Tracer 275, knowing there's a tire I like.

Demo Carbine 275 I rode had Nevegals. They aren't called "Neva-grip" for no reason...

mtbr member
    One question, Tracer2 G1 dropout system is the same as Carbine's? 27,5 conversion kit can be used also on Tracer2?

mtbr member
    One question, Tracer2 G1 dropout system is the same as Carbine's? 27,5 conversion kit can be used also on Tracer2?
    I asked the same question earlier in this thread and didn't get an answer. I assume it is possible and Intense doesn't want to spoil their Tracer 275 sales by telling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I asked the same Tracer 2 retrofit question the day that this thread was started. I'd really like to jump to 650b, but I'm not willing to dump my frame and start all over.

My guess is it would work but there would be some compromises.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frints View Post
    I asked the same Tracer 2 retrofit question the day that this thread was started. I'd really like to jump to 650b, but I'm not willing to dump my frame and start all over.

My guess is it would work but there would be some compromises.
    The Carbine 275 dropout kit will work on the Tracer 2 no problem. That being said, it will not be the same bike as a Tracer 275. Intense adjusted geometry, chainstays, and travel on the Tracer 275 to maximize the benefits of the larger wheels. And believe me, it worked. I've ridden the Tracer 275 a couple times now, and its got a certain wow-factor that I haven't experienced since the first-gen SS. I love my Tracer 2, but two rides on the 275 officially has me converted. I've already got mine on order!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I thought the brace between the seat stays prevented a 27.5 wheel from fitting the Tracer2? Carbine doesn't have the brace so that's why the drop-out swap works....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmeyer View Post
    I thought the brace between the seat stays prevented a 27.5 wheel from fitting the Tracer2? Carbine doesn't have the brace so that's why the drop-out swap works....
    The dropout effectively positions the wheel further back to accommodate the larger wheel size. It's basically just an extended dropout. The kit also comes with a brake adapter so your brake sits in the right place. On the Tracer 2 with the extended dropouts, the 27.5" wheel should sit in about the same place in relation to the seatstay brace as on the 26" model.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FanatikBike.com View Post
    The dropout effectively positions the wheel further back to accommodate the larger wheel size. It's basically just an extended dropout. The kit also comes with a brake adapter so your brake sits in the right place. On the Tracer 2 with the extended dropouts, the 27.5" wheel should sit in about the same place in relation to the seatstay brace as on the 26" model.
    Thanks for clarifying this!
    How much does the conversion change the geometry when used with a 26" wheel? I am thinking lower and slacker Tracer 2 here.

mtbr member
    I don't think it will be lower...probably slightly higher BB. I imagine it will be a bit slacker though, depending fork selection.

mtbr member
    I don't think it will be lower...probably slightly higher BB. I imagine it will be a bit slacker though, depending fork selection.
    How's that? Wouldn't the larger wheel not need the axle to be farther back and higher to keep the BB height in check? So I was thinking it should give you a slacker bike with lower BB and longer CS. Or am I thinking wrong here?

Intense seems to have lowered the BB on the Tracer 275. I would love to see the same on the Tracer 2.

Dude, got any schwag?
    The new drops are 1/2" higher and 1/2" longer by my calculations. So yes, theoretically it would lower the BB & slacken the HA. Expensive experiment if it doesn't work out. I'd first make sure my bike set up is correct, then maybe try an angle-set. Go to 35% sag in th rear & make sure you're in long travel back there.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    I haven't had a chance to actually bolt up the dropouts yet to compare, so I'm not sure how they sit on the bike. Just speculation at this point. But yes, according to the Intense geo charts, the Tracer 275 has a 13.3" BB height, and the Tracer 2 has a 13.5" BB height. I'm just not sure where the Tracer 2 with 275 drops will sit though.

mtbr member
    I haven't had a chance to actually bolt up the dropouts yet to compare, so I'm not sure how they sit on the bike. Just speculation at this point. But yes, according to the Intense geo charts, the Tracer 275 has a 13.3" BB height, and the Tracer 2 has a 13.5" BB height. I'm just not sure where the Tracer 2 with 275 drops will sit though.
    Wait, has Intense changed the geo of the Tracer 2? You are right about the geo on the new webpage, but the old one said 13.75 with a 150 mm fork and 14.0 with a 160 mm. Typo or real world change?

mtbr member
    Good question...I think Intense is still dialing in those geo charts. I've noticed a few discrepancies here and there. I don't believe the Tracer 2 has changed at all, which means it should still be at the 13.75" BB height with a 150mm fork.

mtbr member
    When is the demo tour coming to San Diego. Just right down the road! The idea of a 27.5 carbon bike has me intrigued.

Dude, got any schwag?
    San Diego? (aka Whale's Vagina) Why don't ya just gitcha ayse up to Temecula & beg to ride one?
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    If that will work I will be all over it. In the past they did not take too kindly to people showing up at the factory.

Dude, got any schwag?
    I did say beg. Give them a call & see if they'll work with you.
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    The Carbine 275 dropout kit will work on the Tracer 2 no problem. That being said, it will not be the same bike as a Tracer 275. Intense adjusted geometry, chainstays, and travel on the Tracer 275 to maximize the benefits of the larger wheels. And believe me, it worked. I've ridden the Tracer 275 a couple times now, and its got a certain wow-factor that I haven't experienced since the first-gen SS. I love my Tracer 2, but two rides on the 275 officially has me converted. I've already got mine on order!
    FYI for everyone, the Rear Brake Mount that Intense is making for the Carbine is for 160mm Rotors ONLY......I used some washers to space out for a 180 with a Shimano mount but it is not IDEAL by any stretch. These are the prototype dropouts, but I called Intense the other day to confirm they were 160mm, and I didn't get the impression that the 'release' kits were going to be any different....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5 (650b) fever-carbine-stand.jpg  

CTB
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedHito View Post
    FYI for everyone, the Rear Brake Mount that Intense is making for the Carbine is for 160mm Rotors ONLY......I used some washers to space out for a 180 with a Shimano mount but it is not IDEAL by any stretch. These are the prototype dropouts, but I called Intense the other day to confirm they were 160mm, and I didn't get the impression that the 'release' kits were going to be any different....
    You dog. How did you get your drop out kit so fast? I heard the release was at the end of September. How may people out there have already recieved there 275 G1 drop out kits?

ride
    160 only, no biggie. If you're running bigger than 160, treat it like a standard post mount and get a +20 adapter for 180 or post mount 203 adapter. Should work well.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Are the prices posted for the Tracer 27.5 frame and build kits yet? I've seen the carbine pricing but I have not seen the tracer pricing yet? Anyone who pre-ordered care to share the price? I have to drive over an hour and a half just to get to a shop that sells intense. Just want to have an idea before I head to a shop I have never dealt with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Djg24 View Post
    Are the prices posted for the Tracer 27.5 frame and build kits yet? I've seen the carbine pricing but I have not seen the tracer pricing yet? Anyone who pre-ordered care to share the price? I have to drive over an hour and a half just to get to a shop that sells intense. Just want to have an idea before I head to a shop I have never dealt with.
    Fanaticbike.com has frames and complete bikes for pre order. Carbine275 and Tracer275.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

74 & 29 pilot
    ... And believe me, it worked. I've ridden the Tracer 275 a couple times now, and its got a certain wow-factor that I haven't experienced since the first-gen SS. I love my Tracer 2, but two rides on the 275 officially has me converted. I've already got mine on order!
    Do you think that is because of the new geo, and that the Carbine 275 won't have that same "wow-factor?" Have you tried the Carbine 275 yet? I'm really curious as I'm about ready to pull the trigger.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chargerfan View Post
    Fanaticbike.com has frames and complete bikes for pre order. Carbine275 and Tracer275.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thanks for that! I'll still support the local shop but it's great to have an idea of the price so I'm sure they are not trying to jack it up.

Also, quick question. In some pics I noticed a weld going right down the center of the top tube on the Tracer. Is this the way it is? Is the top tube 2 separate pieces welded together? I'll have to see how it looks in person. I'm OCD and that may be enough to push me into the carbine!

ride
    The Tracer 2 is a beautiful piece of aluminum handiwork. The top tube isn't a "tube" at all, but rather a monocoque that is welded together in the center. Visually, it's one of my favorite things about both of the VPP Tracers.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Dude, got any schwag?
    That weld defines the craftsmanship of the Tracer. Most people think it's a bot weld due to how straight and perfect it is.
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anyone know yet if the Tracer 275's will be shipping anytime soon?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm really liken the all black carbines

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Tracer 27.5 sizing question for y'all-
    I'm 5'11" w/ 33" inseam.

Do I go for a MD or LG? I have usually on a bike w/ 23.5" ETT which is smack in the middle of the MD/LG Tracer sizes

Not going to be hucking or nothing - just going to be a long travel XC rig

Thanks for your advice

mtbr member

Got a chance to demo the Tracer 275!

Snappy fast with deep travel that didn't absorb the small stuff as well as a 6" bike should. Rode it back to back with a Ellsworth Evolve and while the Evolve really rode smooth it was sluggish and the Tracer 275 felt like an xc racer. My impression of both bikes could be attributed to set up and was a single short 3-4 mile out and back, Evolve 1st and 275 second, making the quickness of the 275 all the more impressive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    What effect do the different travel settings have on geometry? Does the 6" setting make the BB higher and the HA steeper?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Mr. Intense,

Can we get some more info on the Novatech wheelset that come on both package bikes? Demon? There's not much on their site, and I'd like to know how they would compare to a set of wheels built up on TL28 rims, etc.

A reliable tubeless conversion would be a necessity here in AZ!

Thanks!

mtbr member

27.5 wheelset Novatec

This wheelset is standard on our XT Expert & SLX Rally 27.5 (see pic below) build kits & I believe Novatec will have these for aftermarket any day . They have performed well on all our 27.5 demo bikes for the last 6 months.Tracer 275 & Carbine 275 completes & frames with kits shipping now with these wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5 (650b) fever-slx-kit-193.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    So it is the Diablo wheelsets, not the Demon, correct?

mtbr member

Yea the geo charts seam to be hiding something

I was checking the 275 out to compare it to my tracer 29 and while there are lines for standover, stack and reach, of the six potential measurements in size small only reach on the 29r is listed.
    Good question...I think Intense is still dialing in those geo charts. I've noticed a few discrepancies here and there. I don't believe the Tracer 2 has changed at all, which means it should still be at the 13.75" BB height with a 150mm fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr intense View Post
    Tracer 275 & Carbine 275 completes & frames with kits shipping now with these wheels.
    So if I've had a Tracer 275 frame (black chrome) pre-ordered for a wile now, it'll be shipping soon?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast