Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Enve wheels to be delivered Thurs!!! Friday morning will be the first ride. I'll post up pics and impressions as soon as I can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just got the call from the LBS. My Carbine 27.5 is built and waiting for me to pick up this afternoon

Final build:
    •Intense Carbine 27.5 Black medium Fox Float CTD
    •Fox Float 34 27,5 CTD
    •Cane Creek 110 mixed taper headset, red
    •XX1 complete groupo w/ Black Box ceramic BB, red and 28 tooth chainring
    •Magura MT8 Brakes 160/180 w/ titanium rotor bolts
    •Industry 9 flanged hubs red, Sapim CXray spokes black, Enve AM 27.5 rims
    •Easton EC70 carbon handlebar
    •Ibis stem
    •Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 tires w/ Snakeskin sidewall protection tubeless ready
    •WTB Laser V titanium saddle
    •KS Lev dropper post
    •Time Atac pedals

Weight according to LBS complete with pedals and sealant is 26.5 pounds

First ride tomorrow, and a ride report will follow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5 (650b) fever-photo%25202%5B1%5D.jpg  

27.5 (650b) fever-photo%25201%5B1%5D.jpg  

27.5 (650b) fever-photo%25203%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by gcohen; 12-15-2012 at 09:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Carbine 27.5 ride report

OK, so for the ride report….

I’m coming off a 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR EVO Comp which was upgraded with Magura MT6’s, and Flow/Hope wheels. I aslo spent ½ a dozen days or so on full squish 29ers this past summer as I was considering going that route. That is until I heard about the Carbine 27.5! Having ridden the local trails on 26” a ton, and 29” a handful of times, I was really looking forward to the “in between wheelsize”. For me, I really liked the roll over capabilities of the 29er’s, but did not like the slow turning and heavy front end of the ones I tried. When I would get back on the 26” I would find that it felt super agile and quick to accelerate as compared to the 29”, but not as confident through rock gardens and over obstacles. The Carbine, in theory, was the perfect balance for me.

I rode my local trail yesterday for the maiden voyage. It was cold, and slick, but I definitely got a taste for the bike and its components. Right out of the gate, I didn’t notice the bigger wheel size under acceleration like I did with the 29er’s. It felt very similar to my 26” bike. The 29er’s definitely took a bit more to get them going. First plus for the Carbine! Up next were a couple of switch backs that took a little more effort with the 29ers than my 26”. The Carbine didn’t seem to take any more effort than my 26”. Another plus!! En route to the first climb there were a few small jumps. The bike was easy to keep level in the air, and the suspension was super plush. On the climb I noticed 2 things. First, the XX1 had more than enough gears for me. I’m in no way in good shape, so we are running the 28t up front. This gives me the same granny gear that I had on my 2x10. It felt very similar to my 26” bike in granny. When I rode 29er’s in their granny they felt like I was in a higher gear as compared to my 26”. The XX1 drivetrain performed flawlessly. Crisp shifts, super smooth, and completely silent. I’m very happy with that choice. Next thing I noticed on the climb was the suspension design. On the FSR I would use the pro-pedal on non-technical climbs to firm up the rear. The carbine had no noticeable bob on any part of the climb, and I left the shock in d mode the entire ride.

Now for the descent. WOW is all that comes to mind! The bike was super smooth and confidence inspiring. On this particular descent there is an awkward rock drop off that I’ve walked every time this season until yesterday. The Carbine ate it up. On the fast, loose dirt/rock sections it felt glued to the trail.

All in all, I couldn’t be happier! This bike and build are far superior to anything I’ve owned or ridden in the past. It’s my first carbon frame, carbon wheels, no holds barred build, and I’m sure that has as much to do with the ride as the wheel size. That being said, I do believe the wheel size is perfect for my trails and riding style. I’m stoked on the bike, and am looking forward to many, many, many, happy trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5 (650b) fever-carbine.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just a dreeeaaammmyyy build and looks spectacular If I could do that with a Carbine I'd probably go blue on all the bits and pieces. Really like the red Fox stickers on the forks. Where did you get those?

Like you, every report of the XX1 drivetrain mirrors your experience. Thing is totally sick and I want one as well but the price It'll trickle down like everything else. The big NN tires are sweet huh? Really liking them on my Jamis.

Look forward to a few more ride reports
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ordered the fox decals from bikesdecals.com I really like them over the stock gold ones. Kind of ties it all together in my opinion.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Your bike looks awesome! Nicely built.

74 & 29 pilot
    Yeah, great build! I love the Carbine and 27.5, it's been the best all around bike that I've owned since starting in 1994. I really like the XX1 idea, but I'm really scared to run it without a bash here in the SW.

How are you liking those brakes?

LOOKS SWEET, welcome to Carbine 275 heaven!
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    The big NN tires are sweet huh? Really liking them on my Jamis.
    The Nics were awesome. Much better rolling tire than I expected. I was a loyal Nevegal rider for many years before this year when I started running lighter tires. I was running Racing Ralphs on back and a Rocket Ron on the front of my stumpy. Since it's winter we wanted a burlier tire. The Nics rolled really well and had tons of grip. I'm running them tubeless and had about 25psi or so in them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I love the brakes. I've been riding Magura's for years now. They just feel right to me, and the MT series continues to impress me. I ran the MT6 on my stumpy all season. They were great. I did have to get the front bled a few times until it was right, but once the air was out they worked flawlessly. The MT8's were awesome on the first ride, and I'm glad I chose them

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New Tracer 275

Just completed my Tracer 275. Can't wait to try it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5 (650b) fever-t275.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    gcohen.

That build is super sick and sweet!!! My TRc is 26lbs 7ozs but only has about 120mm-ish rear travel (after shimming to accommodate 650b wheels), XT 2x10 drivetrain, Stan's Crest rims. You've got 5.5"-6" and only 26lbs. WOW, bike envy. Your's is a total dream build.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The 275's are awesome - I would order one right now ..

But 1 Big problem..

No XL's now or planed in the future

Bummer - 650's are for tall people too...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Any plans on an Uzzi 275?

mtbr member
    May 2005

uzzi275

Quote Originally Posted by buck8154 View Post
    Any plans on an Uzzi 275?
    Trying to build up an uzzi275 right now to match my carbine

mtbr member
    Finished up building my Tracer 275 a few days ago! Came out to 29.26lbs.

mtbr member
    Mine's done. Size Medium, 27.97 lbs with pedals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5 (650b) fever-complete.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I see some sram xx1 builds. What crankset do I need and what is the qfactor?

I have already some shimano bearings pressed in so I need the Gxp version or the BB30?

Thanks.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14