Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Took the plunge and placed an order for a Tracer 275 Small with the CC DB Air shock. I guess no more lurking around 650b forums/threads, I'm diving in head first. I hope I'm as blown away as some of the guys who've had the chance to demo ride this.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    I wish I didn't see this thread. A 650b 6 inch travel bike!!
    Here is some more ammunition to shoot holes in your wallet

Finally got the complete finished set up with carbon rims front and back. This bike went from awesome to INCREDIBLE!! The feel of the bike didn't change from a 26" config, but the performance on rocky, tech climbs and descents is so noticeably nicer!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5 (650b) fever-img_2093-copy.jpg  

27.5 (650b) fever-img_2094-copy.jpg  

27.5 (650b) fever-img_2084-copy.jpg  

27.5 (650b) fever-img_2085-copy.jpg  

MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Here is some more ammunition to shoot holes in your wallet

Finally got the complete finished set up with carbon rims front and back. This bike went from awesome to INCREDIBLE!! The feel of the bike didn't change from a 26" config, but the performance on rocky, tech climbs and descents is so noticeably nicer!
    Curse you!!! Now I'm really dying. Did I also read the claimed weight right? 5.5lbs for a 6" travel frame?! Unheard of. Heck, my HD came in at 7lbs for the dang small frame (more than the claimed weight).

650b, 26", different axle sizes, 5.5", 6" wow, what a versatile frame. Oh, and carbon too. Unreal!! But within the last 4 months I bought an HD and a TRc. If the real world numbers work out (build weight under 30lbs) this could be a one bike do-it-all frame.

Ok, someone buy my HD and TRc and give me their CC number please

BTW, what carbon rims are those? They're not Enve's or Easton from the lack of stickers. What's your build weight?
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Idea!

I wish I didn't see this thread. A 650b 6 inch travel bike!!
    Your a little late to the game. Scott 700, Intense Tracer275, Transition Bandit = 6" + 650b

2013 Scott Genius 700 SL

Intense Tracer 27.5 (650b) Ride Reviews & Weights - Bike Rumor
    Last edited by rlucky82; 11-04-2012 at 08:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rlucky82 View Post
    Your a little late to the game. Scott 700, Intense Tracer275, Transition Bandit = 6" + 650b

2013 Scott Genius 700 SL

Transition Bandit 26 Inch - Tested - Pinkbike

Intense Tracer 27.5 (650b) Ride Reviews & Weights - Bike Rumor
    You're right. And I wish I were even later, like after I've won the lottery. But this one's got a proven suspension design and is under 6lbs frame weight, claimed weight at least.

BTW, anyone with some pics of the frame on a scale?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kburati View Post
    Took the plunge and placed an order for a Tracer 275 Small with the CC DB Air shock. I guess no more lurking around 650b forums/threads, I'm diving in head first. I hope I'm as blown away as some of the guys who've had the chance to demo ride this.
    When are you supposed to get your frame? I ordered a large about a month and it's coming by the end of the month!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104 View Post
    When are you supposed to get your frame? I ordered a large about a month and it's coming by the end of the month!
    Shop I ordered from received their first batch of frames last friday but they were all medium and large, they expect the smalls in another week or two.

74 & 29 pilot
    My frame weight came in just under 6 lbs for a large; Sorry didn't take pictures and am not stripping my bike down to prove it. My build weight was 28.5 lbs with East carbon Havens and Specialized grid casing tires. It's now 28.8 with my carbon 650b wheels and slightly lighter tires.

The rims are from Light-Bicycle, a Chinese company. Cheap, well built and TLR. There is a thread on them in this sub forum, the 29 forum and the Wheels forum. I got lucky and bought carbon Havens new for $1300 to see if the carbon wheel was that great; It is! Whether aluminum or carbon, rims get the crap kicked out of them when you ride aggressive in AZ, and I'm not forking over $1800 for rims that will get trashed eventually. Now $365 shipped is a different story. Mine seated right away with gorilla tape and feel great!
    MTBP

mtbr member

Evolve carbon?

Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    Snappy fast with deep travel that didn't absorb the small stuff as well as a 6" bike should. Rode it back to back with a Ellsworth Evolve and while the Evolve really rode smooth it was sluggish and the Tracer 275 felt like an xc racer. My impression of both bikes could be attributed to set up and was a single short 3-4 mile out and back, Evolve 1st and 275 second, making the quickness of the 275 all the more impressive.
    Are you comparing the new Ellsworth carbon Evolve to the Carbine 27.5? I want to hear more about this please. Looking at the same two.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kburati View Post
    Shop I ordered from received their first batch of frames last friday but they were all medium and large, they expect the smalls in another week or two.
    Huh... Interesting. Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Uh oh. Another player? Tell me about this intruder

mtbr member

Both aluminum frames

Quote Originally Posted by johnny thunder View Post
    Are you comparing the new Ellsworth carbon Evolve to the Carbine 27.5? I want to hear more about this please. Looking at the same two.....
    I'm old school and don't believe in plastic frames

ride
    BTW, anyone with some pics of the frame on a scale?
    5.99lbs for a large painted red Carbine with seat collar and 26" 12x142 dropouts. I just weighed it. I took a pic but it didn't turn out great.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My frame weight came in just under 6 lbs for a large; Sorry didn't take pictures and am not stripping my bike down to prove it. My build weight was 28.5 lbs with East carbon Havens and Specialized grid casing tires. It's now 28.8 with my carbon 650b wheels and slightly lighter tires.

The rims are from Light-Bicycle, a Chinese company. Cheap, well built and TLR. There is a thread on them in this sub forum, the 29 forum and the Wheels forum. I got lucky and bought carbon Havens new for $1300 to see if the carbon wheel was that great; It is! Whether aluminum or carbon, rims get the crap kicked out of them when you ride aggressive in AZ, and I'm not forking over $1800 for rims that will get trashed eventually. Now $365 shipped is a different story. Mine seated right away with gorilla tape and feel great!
    oh, you went with the Chinese carbon rims and have good luck so far? I've seen somewhere where (i think it was these rims) had a catastrophic failure/crack on the rim edge. I guess if you can build them yourself then it's worth taking a chance. But for mortals like myself I'd have to pay $150 just for the build. Still, they're working for you and that's all that counts.

I use Spec. GRIDs too and they're uber heavy. With those my HD build came to 32.5lbs. Not what I was expecting for a carbon frame but I do have a VAN 36 coil up front so that kills the weight too.

This sounds so good, VPP, 6" travel, 650 wheels, and under 29lbs. Nice work!

Paper or plastic?
    oh, you went with the Chinese carbon rims and have good luck so far? I've seen somewhere where (i think it was these rims) had a catastrophic failure/crack on the rim edge. I guess if you can build them yourself then it's worth taking a chance. But for mortals like myself I'd have to pay $150 just for the build. Still, they're working for you and that's all that counts.

I use Spec. GRIDs too and they're uber heavy. With those my HD build came to 32.5lbs. Not what I was expecting for a carbon frame but I do have a VAN 36 coil up front so that kills the weight too.

This sounds so good, VPP, 6" travel, 650 wheels, and under 29lbs. Nice work!
    I've been using the 26" versions of those rims since May or June on my Carbine. They've been holding up to Sierra rocky trails so far. Can't complain. With light tires (but not too light), a 32 fork and a Gravity Dropper, bike weighs 27# even. I assume that it'd be closer to 28 in 650b.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    I've been using the 26" versions of those rims since May or June on my Carbine. They've been holding up to Sierra rocky trails so far. Can't complain. With light tires (but not too light), a 32 fork and a Gravity Dropper, bike weighs 27# even. I assume that it'd be closer to 28 in 650b.
    Yo, Zorg.

I didnt know you're using them too. They've stayed true too? Did you build them or you pay for the build? I gotta test ride yours if its okay again.

Paper or plastic?
    Yo, Zorg.

I didnt know you're using them too. They've stayed true too? Did you build them or you pay for the build? I gotta test ride yours if its okay again.
    I've been using the wide rims, which I believe are a hair under 400gr (never weighed them, based on others' feedback). I bought the rims, and had the shop build them up. We can do another bike swap soon if you want (although not this w-e). Would love to try the TRc.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

74 & 29 pilot

WEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, not quite

Don't know if this carbon is going to hold up to normal Southwest riding

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b/carbon-r...ml#post9849481
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just ordered my Carbine 27.5 yesterday. I'm super psyched for this build. It's a sky's the limit dream bike for me. Shop told me no green frames avail, 4 weeks for red, and 6 for naked. I wanted the green, but went with the naked since it's not available any time soon. Medium frame btw. I'm going in Friday to finalize the build, but Enve AM's with kings have been ordered along with the frame at this point. Original thought was full XTR 2x10, but I need to look into XX1 as an option. I'll update as decisions are made, and photo's to come as the build starts.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a great build. Can't wait to see it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    OK so I spent the afternoon at the LBS discussing the build. Need some input. We are leaning towards XX1. The original idea was Enve/Kings but as of now there isn't an XX1/king hub. We are going to contact CK and see if they are coming out with a compatible freehub in time. Otherwise I need to go DT 240's. Next dilemma is the brakes. My current bike has Magura MT6's, and I've ridden Magura for the past 6 or 7 years. I love Magura's, but have definitely had some headaches with the MT series this summer. When working properly the performance is fantastic, but I've had to bleed them quite often. I suggested the new XTR brakes. LBS says MT8's. We are putting a Fox 34 float, reverb stealth, carbon bars, ck headset on to complete the build.

I'm looking for thoughts on the hub situation and the brakes.

Thanks in advance for your input

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by gcohen View Post
    OK so I spent the afternoon at the LBS discussing the build. Need some input. We are leaning towards XX1. The original idea was Enve/Kings but as of now there isn't an XX1/king hub. We are going to contact CK and see if they are coming out with a compatible freehub in time. Otherwise I need to go DT 240's. Next dilemma is the brakes. My current bike has Magura MT6's, and I've ridden Magura for the past 6 or 7 years. I love Magura's, but have definitely had some headaches with the MT series this summer. When working properly the performance is fantastic, but I've had to bleed them quite often. I suggested the new XTR brakes. LBS says MT8's. We are putting a Fox 34 float, reverb stealth, carbon bars, ck headset on to complete the build.

I'm looking for thoughts on the hub situation and the brakes.

Thanks in advance for your input
    The XTR 988s are the BOMB!!! I run them on my Carbine and my Session 88. Strong and great modulating. Best brakes I've every used
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The XTR 988s are the BOMB!!! I run them on my Carbine and my Session 88. Strong and great modulating. Best brakes I've every used
    I have yet to hear a bad review of the XTR's. I think it's time I give something other than Magura a try.

mtbr member
    I will second the love for the XTR Trail brakes. Rode Formula The Ones for years and switched over a few months ago. It was a significant upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's sounding like XTR brakes are going to end up on the bike.

Now I just need to finalize the hub situation.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast