Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    +1 alloy

+1 new graphics

Dedicated 120-140mm FS trail bike??
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    nope. only thing missing is dat uzzi update . . . OR A FATBIKE.

I fix your broken ****!
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuhlman View Post
    nope. only thing missing is dat uzzi update . . . OR A FATBIKE.
    Please watch this video for Jeff's answer to Fatbikes: Quizzed: Brian Lopes vs Jeff Steber - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB
    Sam Wilson
    Jack of All Trades
    Intense Cycles, Inc.
    Sam@Intensecycles.com

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    But as a viking living in a country where there's winter half the year, a fat bike is necessary to stay hard core mountain biker.

mtbr member
    A front suspended fatty can be taken downhill in a "fun" way. The Q: Is the fat bike market large enough to support all the entrants out there?? Seems as if totally new entrants are coming every day. Does an Intense fat bike make sense both from a business and company direction pov?

I still vote for a 120-140mm 650b alloy trail bike. There's a void in my stable that used to be filled by the 5.5evp, then spider 2, then tracer VP. 160mm FS is too much bike for my every day trails, but I'd like something more playful than my trail focused 29er HT...
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by awai04 View Post
    +1 alloy

+1 new graphics

Dedicated 120-140mm FS trail bike??
    I concur! Uzzi SL. 26 and 27.5 compatible

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-IntenseCustServ View Post
    Please watch this video for Jeff's answer to Fatbikes: Quizzed: Brian Lopes vs Jeff Steber - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB
    Not cool! Like Ole said most of the good trails on this earth are covered in white stuff at lest some of the year. Ya I do other fun stuff in winter, but riding my fat bike is one of my favs. Intense is missing out on the biggest growth segment in cycling. The fact that you guys could just weld one up(i know you can't just slap one together) and you don't is crazy. Maybe you did and it sucked. If Jeff thinks fat bikes are for pussies I bet he's never ridden one, and if he thinks they're just lame, I have no doubt that Jeff could give it an intense attitude, style, and make it rad.
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Anything happening to the Spider 29 Comp next year? New colour? Post-mount rear brake?

I really really want that bike, to build it up from a frameset with my dreamspecs. I just can't get hold of one around here as there in no retailer. And to buy it without ever sitting on one or even seeing one makes me a bit nervous 'cause those frames are not cheap.

Anyone know the reach for a Medium frame? I'm 5' 8.5"/173cm On the Intense site they have reach for other bikes but not this one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by _tarzan View Post
    Anything happening to the Spider 29 Comp next year? New colour? Post-mount rear brake?

I really really want that bike, to build it up from a frameset with my dreamspecs. I just can't get hold of one around here as there in no retailer. And to buy it without ever sitting on one or even seeing one makes me a bit nervous 'cause those frames are not cheap.

Anyone know the reach for a Medium frame? I'm 5' 8.5"/173cm On the Intense site they have reach for other bikes but not this one.
    This is from the manual I got with my 2014:
    Reach:
    SMALL 404 mm/ 15.9”
    MEDIUM 424 mm/ 16.7”
    LARGE 434 mm/ 17.1”

I'm 5'8" with a longish torso and it feels fairly roomy but not too big

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thank you. So it seems a Medium would fit just fine! Now on a 416mm reach with 75mm stem. 424mm would allow me to use my favourite stem length

CTB
    mtbr member
    I personally prefer aluminum because it is quite simply more crash-worthy. I don't care how much they talk about how the protection on the frames works, if I take a big spill on my bike, it'll have a lot better chance of not being cracked if it's aluminum.

I also like Intense's paints in the past - I don't like ano, and I don't like unfinished carbon.

Like Omegaman said above, I also do not want press-fit BB's. Right now, if I'm forced into Carbon, I'll be looking at Santa Cruz because they still use threaded BB's. Easy to change for those of us that do our own work. It's bad enough that my Tracer orphaned me with the cracked rear triangle that was basically 100% failure rate on the bikes until they changed it, but now I'm stuck with decreasing aluminum options.

And yes, Made in USA is a MAJOR part of why I own two Intense bikes. I was very happy to see where my bike was made when I toured the factory in Temecula, knowing that the home team had made it. If I want something from overseas, there are cheaper ways to get it than Intense.

I'm good with 275, but I really wish everyone would get off the carbon bandwagon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    I personally prefer aluminum because it is quite simply more crash-worthy. I don't care how much they talk about how the protection on the frames works, if I take a big spill on my bike, it'll have a lot better chance of not being cracked if it's aluminum.

I also like Intense's paints in the past - I don't like ano, and I don't like unfinished carbon.

Like Omegaman said above, I also do not want press-fit BB's. Right now, if I'm forced into Carbon, I'll be looking at Santa Cruz because they still use threaded BB's. Easy to change for those of us that do our own work. It's bad enough that my Tracer orphaned me with the cracked rear triangle that was basically 100% failure rate on the bikes until they changed it, but now I'm stuck with decreasing aluminum options.

And yes, Made in USA is a MAJOR part of why I own two Intense bikes. I was very happy to see where my bike was made when I toured the factory in Temecula, knowing that the home team had made it. If I want something from overseas, there are cheaper ways to get it than Intense.

I'm good with 275, but I really wish everyone would get off the carbon bandwagon.
    You really don't know what you are talking about..

CTB
    mtbr member
    Whatever you say. I'm sure you'll prove your brilliance here shortly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Re: 2015 Intense Cycles

Like Omegaman said above, I also do not want press-fit BB's. Right now, if I'm forced into Carbon, I'll be looking at Santa Cruz because they still use threaded BB's.
    I thought the same things about carbon that you do, until I did some research on the new layup methods, and especially until I saw this video. If this doesn't change your mind about carbon, I'm not sure what will.

Pinkbike Visits The Santa Cruz Test Lab Video:
    http://youtu.be/xreZdUBqpJs

CTB
    mtbr member
    Interesting video, though I'd like to see tests that impart the loading in directions that aren't aligned with the planned input. What I mean is something at an oblique angle to the layup and not, say, like the fork loading pictured in the Pinkbike video. I'd also like to see chainstays/rear triangles put to this same test. Those are more of what I had in mind when I thought about taking a strange impact.

Definitely impressive, especially the "bat swing" portion. Carbon has always been very strong along the intended load path, so it's nice to see the progress being made toward being strong overall. Thanks for that, AKAndy. Got any videos that will help me afford one? Though I still want nice colors to be available, which so far Intense hasn't provided on the carbon models.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    CTB, I'd also be curious to see some of the tests you describe, but this video was pretty convincing for me. I was going to buy a lower end component build AL Bronson, but realized I could get a decent base model carbon bike like a Devinci Troy, or a Norco Sight carbon for less than the base model AL Bronson. Still a chunk of change though ☺

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ok, my fatbike comment was sarcastic...my desire for a revised izzi was not
    re: carbon, from my unscientific perspective it seems potentially more successful when boxed (i.e., frames) than not (i.e., wheels). the biggest hack i know has ridden a carbon nomad since it came out with zero issues; i have seenany carbon wheelsets destroyed by much less hackful riders. re: threaded bb: yes plz. also, please keep your bikes adjustable. it is a MAJOR benefit.
    THANKS!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Interesting video, though I'd like to see tests that impart the loading in directions that aren't aligned with the planned input. What I mean is something at an oblique angle to the layup and not, say, like the fork loading pictured in the Pinkbike video. I'd also like to see chainstays/rear triangles put to this same test. Those are more of what I had in mind when I thought about taking a strange impact.

Definitely impressive, especially the "bat swing" portion. Carbon has always been very strong along the intended load path, so it's nice to see the progress being made toward being strong overall. Thanks for that, AKAndy. Got any videos that will help me afford one? Though I still want nice colors to be available, which so far Intense hasn't provided on the carbon models.
    One example doesn't make fact, but out of four intense bikes I have owned, I only broke one of them. It wasn't my Spider 29er Comp I have been riding for two years, it was an aluminum Tracer 2 I broke in its first year of service riding down the Whole Enchilada. Broke differently than the small cracks on the rear end a few experienced. I have full faith in their carbon and if it does go bad due to craftmanship and not my error, Intense will promptly take care of me beyond satisfaction as they did with my Tracer 2. Ride whatever material you prefer but both are solid and sturdy when done correctly.

mtbr member

2015 Intense Cycles

I have full faith in the strength of Intense bikes! Anyone could have a catastrophic type crash with a potential point loading of a tube , like rock to side of down or top tube. You can fold aluminum or crack carbon. I actually feel that carbon is almost more easily repairable as long as it's not a complete fracture through the tube.

The video post was a very good example of the designed strength of these carbon bikes. I love my Spider 29 V2 but will eventually have a Spider Comp and I'll ride it as hard as I can because it's INTENSE!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKAndy View Post
    I thought the same things about carbon that you do, until I did some research on the new layup methods, and especially until I saw this video. If this doesn't change your mind about carbon, I'm not sure what will.
    All fair and well, but I see more broken carbon frames in the workshop of my LBS than aluminum ones. Scott, Cube, Cannondale plus a bunch of wheels (mainly road though), so all from reputable carbon manufacturers. Dunno if it is easier to damage these frames when abused or if they are build too close to the limit of what can be done. Maybe it is also an issue of tolerances during manufacturing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Re: 2015 Intense Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by iRider View Post
    All fair and well, but I see more broken carbon frames in the workshop of my LBS than aluminum ones. Scott, Cube, Cannondale plus a bunch of wheels (mainly road though), so all from reputable carbon manufacturers. Dunno if it is easier to damage these frames when abused or if they are build too close to the limit of what can be done. Maybe it is also an issue of tolerances during manufacturing.
    Good to hear first hand experience, thanks for sharing. I ride my Carbon Sight pretty hard, so if anything ever breaks, I'll just have to rely on the lifetime warranty to save me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    That's impressive! I'm sure my Tracer T275 will hold up.

Norðwegr
    2015 Intense Cycles-s780_bt_20140827_untitled_shoot_208.jpg
    2015 Intense Cycles-s780_bt_20140827_untitled_shoot_194.jpg
    2015 Intense Cycles-s780_bt_20140827_untitled_shoot_203.jpg

Pictures are from Eurobike, but there isn't any other info.

Dude, got any schwag?
    That Carbine 29 (orange) will be mine...
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    that chit looks weak. if it ain't 160+ travel... IDGAF

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast