mtbr member
    Jul 2018

2015 intense 951 evo for park

Looking to buy a used 2015 intense 951 evo and was wondering how it handles jumping and park use. I currently have a 2012 devinci wilson, want to go with something newer and faster, more modern geometry but still ride parks with 27.5 wheels, looking for opinions

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    It's good! I like mine. The geometry is a little longer than what Intense does with the 'M' series which I like a lot. The suspension is still progressive so a coil shock is perfect and the bike will still be playful. The 1.5 headtube can still take an angleset to slacken it out some more if you want.
    Intense 951 Evo and Intense Carbine 29

mtbr member
    I only know the 26" 951 which has funky kinematics already, but the 951 Evo doesn't seem to be that much better:
    Intense 951 EVO 2013 - Linkage Design
    Get a M9, way better bike. Set up in short travel mode and progressive it will be a great park bike. Or keep the Wilson.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Gotta disagree there... I feel like my 951Evo is better than my M9 was. And lighter, but to each their own.

You can run 275 wheels in the M9 in the long setting. Carried A LOT of speed but didn't corner as well since the chainstays were a little long and the BB was high.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iRider View Post
    I only know the 26" 951 which has funky kinematics already, but the 951 Evo doesn't seem to be that much better:
    Intense 951 EVO 2013 - Linkage Design
    Get a M9, way better bike. Set up in short travel mode and progressive it will be a great park bike. Or keep the Wilson.
    Im finding more and more bikes that ride quite differently than the linkage kinematic drawings show.. My Recluse is another one. And now Christopher disagrees (and hes ridden both bikes)

So Im not so sure that I would put a whole lot of "stock" into these linkage curves for day to day riding... Good for a representation of whats happening, bad for real world use. IMO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    So Im not so sure that I would put a whole lot of "stock" into these linkage curves for day to day riding... Good for a representation of whats happening, bad for real world use. IMO
    The curves have obviously nothing to do with the real world.
    Like I said, I haven't ridden the 951 Evo, but the old 951 is pretty much what the curves tell: a super progressive bike that can only be made to work reasonably well with a linear shock. In a park environment the bike actually is then fairly nice, plush over the braking bumps but still taking the big hucks. BUT: the M9 is far less sensitive to the type of shock you put on. If you really wish you can tune it to feel 951-ish with the right shock/settings. I would also not bother with 27.5 wheels for park riding, so the M9 will be low/slack enough.

@Christopher Robin: what does the 951 Evo frame weigh w/o shock?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    No idea about the weight anymore since this was a few years ago when I was messing with it. It wasn't like there was 5lbs difference or anything, it was less.

I've never tried the 26" 951 but that was the complaint: couldn't use full travel no matter what. Whereas Intense mellowed out the 951 EVO a bit.

I will say this: My M9 had an Avalanche shock (the Woodie) and then I had it revalved for the 951 EVO. It is possible the tune was more accurate when I switched to the EVO.