Bikes!

2013 Tracer 29 - Mr Intense just a couple of q's :)

Hi

Please can you tell me what changes have been made for the 2013 bikes? Is a DB Air an option on the bike and will the bike make a good all round trail/XC bike too?

I am considering building one using Mavic Crossmax ST wheels, XTR 2x10 Trail group, RF finishing kit, Reverb, Revelation RCT3's etc, hoping to keep the build as close to 28lbs as possible.

Thanks for your time.

Jamie (The guy who won the Tracer for naming the bike!)
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

Bikes!
    Anybody?
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

There's always next year.
    I think the wheelset choice is a mistake. I believe those Mavic's are a narrow rim (19mm?) and a bike like the Tracer deserves big tires on wider rims, in my opinion. I've run Arches which are that width and now America Classic All Mountain Wheels that are wider, and much prefer the AM Classic ones which match up better with the tires I'm running.

The bike won't explode or anything, but if you're gonna run a DB Air (or similar) shock, it seems backwards to me to run a cross-country centric wheel set like the Mavics.

28 pounds might be pushing your luck as well-- I think mine is low 30s with dropper post, big tires, wide bars, and race face/XTR 2 x10 drive train with XT brakes. With that said, I don't mind the weight, or feel that it holds the bike back at all.

While the Tracer pedals well, its not going to pedal like a XC bike, so I didn't try to build mine like one.

Bikes!
    Thanks for the input Padrefan1982

I run the Crossmax currently on my Orange and they seem able to take as big a tyre as I'd comfortably like to use but everything you say is noted.

I think I'll need to try a T29 out myself before making any decisions though. Thanks again.

2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I agree on the wheels. I run Arch EXs on mine and wouldnt want anything skinnier. I run my hardtail and the T29 back to back on weekends and there is nothing like XC efficiency coming from that frame. I love the bike for how rock solid and burly fun it is, but its no XC rocketship like my old spider was, and completely inappropriate for XC racing. Having demoed a Turner Burner, I would lean more towards a tracer 275 if I was making the purchase again.

By the way mine weighs around 28 lbs as well with fat tires, but no dropper post.

mtbr member

28# would be a stretch

Quote Originally Posted by JakeSch View Post
    I agree on the wheels. I run Arch EXs on mine and wouldnt want anything skinnier. I run my hardtail and the T29 back to back on weekends and there is nothing like XC efficiency coming from that frame. I love the bike for how rock solid and burly fun it is, but its no XC rocketship like my old spider was, and completely inappropriate for XC racing. Having demoed a Turner Burner, I would lean more towards a tracer 275 if I was making the purchase again.

By the way mine weighs around 28 lbs as well with fat tires, but no dropper post.
    I have a smal T 29 with King/arch wheels, float 34 fork, Titec carbon riser, short Hope stem, 3x9 Sram X9 dri[p shift/race face, Hayes stroker trails, Nobby Nick 2.25s w tubes, thompson post, WTB saddle and it's 31.75#. I'm with the others with the wheel advice, 5.5" 29r deserves a stiffer wheelset.

Bikes!
    The new Crossmax ST's are some of the most stiff wheels I've tried, I certainly wouldn't worry about running them and I'm 225lbs.
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite