mtbr member
    Apr 2009

2009 Tracer Bearing replacment quesiton.

Some play has developed in the lower linkage on my 09 Tracer. I dont notice it when I pull up on the seat (its not the DU bushing) but when I move the back wheel side to side I can see a small amount of movement in the lower linkage. Everything is tightened down.

My question is this. I have done bearing replacement on other VPP bikes, but never on anything with a grease port. So what type of bearing would I need to purchase to replace it. And are their any special steps I need to take replacing them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I just did this on my 2010 Tracer VP. (It might be an 09, I don't know for sure.) You have a couple choices for your lower bearings with the grease ports. You can either get the ones designed to be greased, or you can get sealed ones and not worry about greasing them anymore.

I ordered the greased kind from Fanatik:

Intense Cycles Enduro Max 7001 Bearing 4 $7.00 $28.00

I also got the 6901 bearings for the upper link from them at the same time. The only regret I have is that my bike is an early enough frame that it has the original zerk fittings that been changed since they fail. One simply won't take grease, and the other's check ball has disappeared, so grease leaks out of it. Because of that, I kinda wish I had gone with the sealed version of the 7001, available from Enduro Fork Seals. Next time I do the job, I'm either getting the sealed ones or going to have to perform surgery on the frame to install some better zerks I got from a shop.

Either way, I found the job to be very easy. Intense designed the bike with nice divots inside the bottom link areas that allow you to get a punch in there and pound out the bearings. I bought a fancy tool that I ended up not needing, as the punch and hammer worked better. The fancy tool just ripped the inner race out of the bearing, so that didn't help. In the end, I did the whole job with the bike in my repair stand, nothing special, and no crazy amounts of force needed.

It's the same story on the rear triangle for those bearings, which are the same bearings as well.

If you go with the greased kind, just make sure you pump in enough grease until you see it coming out the other size, between the lower link and the bearings. If you don't see that, you haven't packed it full of grease yet. If you have any questions that I might be able to help with, just let me know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Very informative. Thank you very much

Chris.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just took all the linkage apart, cleaned and inspected every bearing. They all roll smooth.
    When puttin the lower linkage together I was able to get some side play in the bearing moving the lower linkage only hooked to the swingarm by hand. I then took the linkage off, and used the lower thru bolt to watch where the play was.

Is this normal? All 4 lower bearings had a tiny bit of side play. If I torque the bolts down will it eliminate it?

Also what are the Torque specs for the linkage bolts.

Chris.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Mine is too far the other way. Everything moves smoothly until I torque the lower link bolts fully, then it becomes not so smooth. I would retorque your bolts and see if there is still play. If so, get new bearings even though they are smooth.

Nowlan, if you PM me your email, I'll send you the manual for the bike in PDF form, which has all the torques and more info.